Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

fluctuating idle/power loss in upper range

Hi All,

2001 Boxster 2.7l 72k miles

After doing some research on the forums here, I decided to clean the MAF - it was pretty dirty, metal (sensor?) parts covered in a fine layer of dust ...

Anyway, after cleaning with electrical contact cleaner it looked much better so I re-installed and disconnected the battery for 10mins to reset the DME.

Now, the car drives noticibly better at low revs (starts quicker, smoother acceleration, idles better and stays between 600 - 800rpm)

However, there is still a problem between 4000-5000rpm:

- if I apply throttle (3rd gear) evenly (gradually) then car will accelerate normally to the redline, in fact performance is better than before I cleaned the MAF

- if I apply throttle aggressively (3rd gear) from say 2500rpm then car pulls but torque falls off noticibly around 4000rpm and engine 'spins' towards redline, I have to quickly change to 4th gear and torque is available again at the lower rev range ...

So ... I am wondering what to try next .. should I go after the throttle body (has never been cleaned) or do these symptoms indicate a failing MAF which needs to be replaced with a new unit (btw the current MAF part no 986 606 125 01)

Any help or advice re my next troubleshooting steps would be much appreciated! :)

(p.s. CEL has not come on at all before or after I started looking into this problem)

cheers,

mik

• 1 month later...

When you find it

email the part # to me if it is different than

Sometimes sold as B3130-149265

quote name='mik' date='Oct 16 2008, 02:02 PM' post='120098']

hi wvicary, yep - that's what I'm thinking at this stage ...

anyone have the Bosch equivalent part number for 986.606.125.01?