Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

front end noise

Hello to all, I'm a new member and this is my first attempt at seeking help. I recently purchased my 2003 996 GT2, shortly after driving it away from the Porsche dealer I began to notice a strange sound eminating from what sounds like the front end, tires? It only happens when I pull away from a stop and as I'm turning, almost like I was driving over loose gravel.

After a period of driving approximately 45 minutes to an hour the sound appears to disappear, only to return when the car cools. The dealer tech suggests it isn't serious or it wouldn't be intermittent, and suggests that it may correct itself. I have scheduled an appointment for next Friday to have it checked and I wouldn't mind going in somewhat informed on what it might be... any suggestions?

Certainly appreciate any and all ideas, thanks in advance and look forward to further discussions, I have been very impressed with the level of technical knowledge expressed by many of you. Regards, Brock.

First congrats on purchasing an icon! Can you provide some more info.? Does the sound happen at idle? With the clutch disengaged? Only in first gear? Is this your first Porsche? Have you had the codes read?
Thanks for your response, the sound does not appear at idle only as I'm pulling away from a stand still and while turning in either direction. Nothing with the clutch disengaged and only in first gear until the car straightens out then it's fine.I have owned a 1979 SC targa, a 1986 944 and a 2006 Carrera S.I have not had the codes read, can you elaborate on this for me?Regards, and again thanks for the assistance, Brock.

My guess is suspension related....so get it checked for something loose (swaybars, steering rack, drop links, control arms, etc.) could even be a piece of debris.

Reading the codes means plugging in an OBD reader (Durametric, PST2, PIWIS) to se if there is anything reported.

Edited by wross996TT

My guess is suspension related....so get it checked for something loose (swaybars, steering rack, drop links, control arms, etc.) could even be a piece of debris.

Reading the codes means plugging in an OBD reader (Durametric, PST2, PIWIS) to se if there is anything reported.

I shall take the information with me to the dealer, thank you for the explanation re codes. I must say there are a number of very tech savy Porsche people out there. Looking forward to future discussions, I'm working on getting some photos posted. Regards, Brock.

Thanks once again for all suggestions.

As I mentioned I had the car in for a check-up on Friday and here is what the technician told me... the noise I'm hearing is normal due to some clutch system in the limited slip differential which upon driving off sounds like the front end is chuttering, he went on to say that the noise is quite common in GT2's, 3's as well as CGT's and that tracking the car or with heavy use the noise will eventually disappear suggesting that this would be a sign of wear.

Another enthusiast who responded to my post on another site supported what the dealer tech told me indicating that he has the same issue with his car.

FYI just in case anybody else is interested or has the same concern, regards brock.