Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What's The Hurry?

Ok, so I'm really enjoying my 98 Boxster for the first time since I bought it in April with a blown 2.5 engine. With the help of many on this board I upgraded to a 3.2s motor and got it back on the road in August. All was working well but the Bridgestone tires were old and while they had a reasonable amount of tread left the age was evident by the number of cracks in the rubber having sat for over 2 years so I basically drove it like I stole it. That is until I bought my baby a new pair of sneakers on Friday. Just in time for my trip to Charlotte Saturday morning.

Hey, what's a guy to do? I mean, I have a fine automobile, a new engine that has been held back for months and a brand new set of gumballs, a beautiful fall day and this is America. So I do what any red blooded all-American boy racer would do, I left the highway and hit the back roads for the last 50 miles or so. Oh boy oh boy was I having fun! There was NO traffic for almost all of NC 200 from 85 to Monroe, about the only traffic I encountered was a State Trooper going the other way and he appeared and disappeared so fast I hoped he didn't have time to lock on, but my hopes very quickly disappeared as his blue lights appeared in my mirror far off in the distance. I popped over a couple of more hills and didn't see him so I decided to quickly turn into a driveway and see if I could disappear. Ah, it didn't work! Trooper Braswell spotted me at the end of the drive as I got out and greeted the older gentleman who was walking his yard seeding his grass. As the trooper got out of the cruiser I spoke to the older gentleman and told him I was not there for him and that I apparently had business with "this gentleman in the uniform" to which the old man said "don't worry I'm not going to write you a ticket" to which Trooper Braswell said "No, but I am" and then continued, "You picked the wrong driveway, he's my uncle."

Crap!

Now, I haven't had a speeding ticket since 1984 (Porsche 928 and a late night trip to the mountains of NC) and that one was reduced to defective equipment, seems the speedometer had stopped working and had to be repaired. Cost me $50 to have the cable reattached, mystery as to how it could have come unscrewed, weird.

Seeing as I have an excellent driving record I am hoping to have the ticket reduced to something that will keep points off my insurance, or at least reduced to below 15 over so I can keep my license, even though the trooper was not happy that I tried to duck out on the ticket by puling into his uncle's driveway, my friendly nature and smile seemed to mellow him after the ticket was written, and when he asked about my speeding history he did offer that he thought the court would drop the speed to allow me to keep my license, so at least he wouldn't fight me on a request for a lower speed but the question is, do I dare try and save my insurance rates.

Any suggestions on lawyers in the Charlotte / Monroe NC area that might be able to help, or any ideas on doing it myself? Anybody have any experience in the Monroe court system?

Oh, and btw I've started my Christmas list, a radar detector is number one on the list!

motorsound.mp3

• Moderators

If NC has the Traffic School option, then just pay the fine and take that option. It is the cheapest, fastest and least complicated way to dispose of the matter. Nothing will show up on your public driving record, which is the one insurance companies evaluate for setting your premium.

Most states offer this option if you haven't had a ticket in some period of time (1-3 years) If you meet that criteria then you are eligible. You can do it completely online.

I just returned home from my trip to Charlotte, nice drive and no ticket this time. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the traffic school option, no ticket in over 24 years should qualify me. Wonder how I can find out if NC has such an option?

• Moderators
I just returned home from my trip to Charlotte, nice drive and no ticket this time. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the traffic school option, no ticket in over 24 years should qualify me. Wonder how I can find out if NC has such an option?

When you get the summons and plea form in the mail, it will outline all of your options.

You can also look in the county court website where the ticket was issued for info.

In my State, city (TX), the options are listed on the back of the ticket and/or a number is listed that will give you the info you need. You show up at the station, plead No Contest and let them know you want to take defensive driving. Sign up for the comedy one and they often make the 6 hours go by faster and give you pizza :-\

In my State, city (TX), the options are listed on the back of the ticket and/or a number is listed that will give you the info you need. You show up at the station, plead No Contest and let them know you want to take defensive driving. Sign up for the comedy one and they often make the 6 hours go by faster and give you pizza :-\

Wow, I'm moving to TX! The only thing on my ticket is "You must appear in court, if you do not you may be arrested and you will lose your license and the fine will be increased" I like the TX choices on the back better than the NC choices. Pizza is way better than jail.

post-28928-1225197254_thumb.jpg

The troopers in NC will just about always give you a ticket if you're over their limit. Fortunately, the limit they set is pretty high. I think that stretch of 200 is only 55, and on a road like that, they'll let you do 65 or so. They might even let you get away with 70 if there's really zero traffic.

That being said, I got pulled and ticketed for 62 in a 55 way back in the late 80s on Hwy 49. Sometimes they're just bored. ;)

I really don't think it matters which attorney you get, as long as it's a local one. If you get one from "the big city" (Charlotte), they're probably not going to be happy. NC is mostly a "Good Ole Boys' Club" when it comes to that. It's best to get one from the same county so they know the judge. Unfortunately, your actions of pulling in at the trooper's uncle's house show you know you were speeding so I don't think they can get away with improper equipment. You're kinda screwed there.

Next time, and I know this because I used to occasionally be a driving instructor for CPD and MCPD, make a left turn when he can't see you. The default is to turn right when being chased, and all the troopers know that. They will also default right and look there for you first. That gives you a little extra time to get away and more time for him to have lost sight of you and not be able to positively identify you if he does see you again a few minutes later.

Another option is to simply pull over as soon as you see he's in pursuit. They've decided whether or not they're going to give you a ticket usually before they even see you. I've talked to a lot of troopers (no, not on the side of the road with their lights going) and almost all of them say they decide whether to ticket or give a warning well before they see you coming over the hill.

Now that you've gotten the ticket though, the best thing you can do is talk to a lawyer from the county.

-Michael

The troopers in NC will just about always give you a ticket if you're over their limit. Fortunately, the limit they set is pretty high. I think that stretch of 200 is only 55, and on a road like that, they'll let you do 65 or so. They might even let you get away with 70 if there's really zero traffic.

That being said, I got pulled and ticketed for 62 in a 55 way back in the late 80s on Hwy 49. Sometimes they're just bored. ;)

I really don't think it matters which attorney you get, as long as it's a local one. If you get one from "the big city" (Charlotte), they're probably not going to be happy. NC is mostly a "Good Ole Boys' Club" when it comes to that. It's best to get one from the same county so they know the judge. Unfortunately, your actions of pulling in at the trooper's uncle's house show you know you were speeding so I don't think they can get away with improper equipment. You're kinda screwed there.

Next time, and I know this because I used to occasionally be a driving instructor for CPD and MCPD, make a left turn when he can't see you. The default is to turn right when being chased, and all the troopers know that. They will also default right and look there for you first. That gives you a little extra time to get away and more time for him to have lost sight of you and not be able to positively identify you if he does see you again a few minutes later.

Another option is to simply pull over as soon as you see he's in pursuit. They've decided whether or not they're going to give you a ticket usually before they even see you. I've talked to a lot of troopers (no, not on the side of the road with their lights going) and almost all of them say they decide whether to ticket or give a warning well before they see you coming over the hill.

Now that you've gotten the ticket though, the best thing you can do is talk to a lawyer from the county.

-Michael

Thanks, I'm sure I'll start receiving advertisements from the local attorneys in the mail soon and I'll take your advice and go with one of the local good 'ole boys and give up the Federal Reserve Notes to make it go away.

Did someone say Tickets??

That's the price one has to pay if one likes to drive faster than the posted speed.

(These were BEFORE the Porsche BTW ;) )

You can get away fairly unharmed and easy too.

You will pay the fine. That is what the ticket is all about. The cops only care about the money. They don't want to give you points or have your insurance go up. They just want your money. With that said this is all you have to do to do this.

Sign the back of the ticket saying that you would like your day in court.

If you can't go to court cause it is too far away then hire a lawyer to represent you for the hour or so.

Plea no contest and ask the court to withhold points based on your perfect driving record. They will do this.

Pay the fine and court costs and go on your way. Your insurance company cannot raise your rates for this one time offence.

If you get caught a second time then tell the court that you will take a driving course and to withhold the points. They will. They just want the money.

Third time is when you pull out the gloves and start looking for mistakes that the police made. Keep in mind all the judges want is money!

Did someone say Tickets??

That's the price one has to pay if one likes to drive faster than the posted speed.

(These were BEFORE the Porsche BTW ;) )

Wow, impressive stack of tickets. I can see I'm gonna hav'ta work a little harder to keep up.

have you ever thought of framing them? :D

There is one catch in NC. Greater than 15 mph over the limit reduces your options or your lawyer's. With 15 or less they easily negotiate down to equipment failure and pay a reduced fine that generally does not go on you record. And cop does not have to appear in court.

About a year ago I got busted for 70 in a 55 near Whiteville, NC. I was tail-end charlie in a long line of 70 mph-ers, but driving a rental with PA tags. Had a dozen offers from local lawyers by the time I got home to the coast in 3 days.

By the way this 55 zone on US 74/76 is 4 lane divided hiway, extremely wide open, and boring as hell.

Picked lawyer that promised a reduced charge and for $200 he said he'd cover the fine and take his fee out of the remainder.

There is one catch in NC. Greater than 15 mph over the limit reduces your options or your lawyer's. With 15 or less they easily negotiate down to equipment failure and pay a reduced fine that generally does not go on you record. And cop does not have to appear in court.

About a year ago I got busted for 70 in a 55 near Whiteville, NC. I was tail-end charlie in a long line of 70 mph-ers, but driving a rental with PA tags. Had a dozen offers from local lawyers by the time I got home to the coast in 3 days.

By the way this 55 zone on US 74/76 is 4 lane divided hiway, extremely wide open, and boring as hell.

Picked lawyer that promised a reduced charge and for $200 he said he'd cover the fine and take his fee out of the remainder.

Yeah, I am aware of the 15-over rule, but hopefully with the proper application of funds I can come out without suffering the wife telling me about it every six months when the insurance bill arrives.

OT - I see you have a 914-6, sweet! My wife bought our '73 914 2.0 new in May of '73 and we still own that car with 79,000 on the clock. In '75 I saw a silver 914-6 at Triangle Porsche Audi in Durham that had been traded in on a new 911 and almost dropped the hammer on that one, but choose the 1966 European 911 classic instead. Actually kinda wish I had held onto that one as well, sigh. A low number 911 manufactured in Sept 1965 in Germany and brought over by an Air Force Captain. I know, maybe we should just buy them and NEVER sell any of them! Yeah, that's it, hmm, I think I'm gonna need a bigger garage.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all who made suggestions on how best to handle my ticket. Today was the court date on my ticket and just heard back from the attorney I hired in Monroe, the ticket was handled "administratively" and was reduced to operating with faulty equipment. Because of the speed involved I had to pay a higher fine but all totaled it came to $321 to make this go away without any points on my license and insurance.

Now, about that radar detector, anybody have any suggestions, or experience to share?

:thankyou:

scurve.mp3

Thank you all who made suggestions on how best to handle my ticket. Today was the court date on my ticket and just heard back from the attorney I hired in Monroe, the ticket was handled "administratively" and was reduced to operating with faulty equipment. Because of the speed involved I had to pay a higher fine but all totaled it came to $321 to make this go away without any points on my license and insurance.

Now, about that radar detector, anybody have any suggestions, or experience to share?

Wow i am surprised....sounds like all they wanted was the money.

Yeah, I agree all they wanted was the revenue. I talked to an officer a couple months ago who said that he was instructed to start writing more tickets for stop signs or any violations he could since the price of gas had forced people to slow down and drive less so the revenue from speeding had dropped off a lot.

It's all about the money.

Yeah, I agree all they wanted was the revenue. I talked to an officer a couple months ago who said that he was instructed to start writing more tickets for stop signs or any violations he could since the price of gas had forced people to slow down and drive less so the revenue from speeding had dropped off a lot.

That is interesting, sort of a 'legal bribe', they accept the money and the ticket goes away...

Maybe they should just do away with the points and insurance report for speeding where no accident is involved and just present the driver with a monetary ticket, it would cost less for them to process.

That is interesting, sort of a 'legal bribe', they accept the money and the ticket goes away...

Maybe they should just do away with the points and insurance report for speeding where no accident is involved and just present the driver with a monetary ticket, it would cost less for them to process.

I'd be in favor of advance payment plans. You know, pay in advance for half dozen tickets under 15 over or 3 tickets over 15, etc. Put them on a debit card that can be debited on the spot and not have to get the lawyer involved. :P

Edited by Ag_Boxster

• 2 weeks later...