Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Radio Wiring ALL messed up!

Alright, got her finished up...

Can I just add... WOW what a difference in sound quality after I changed out the factory amp? I mean, granted I did some tuning with high and low pass filters, frequency changes etc. But wow! You'd think I'd INSTALLED the subwoofer already! And that's yet to come! ;)

Here's The Driver's side door after I finished dynomatting it in it's entirity (only the speaker brackets were done before).

000_0069.jpg

The Passenger Side Door finished.

000_0070.jpg

The Two JL Amps as mounted on the floor of the Front Trunk with 2 JL Crossover's for Rear Tuning. *Note* I opted to hook up the 2nd amp on the right anyways, even though I haven't officially hooked up the sub I am putting in yet. This way it's easier for me for the future.*

000_0071.jpg

000_0072.jpg

000_0073.jpg

:renntech:

Time for a beer and a smoke! :beer:

Questions:

How is the Dynamat performing? Can you notice a difference in road noise?

Are you using the stock wiring for your door speakers, or did you figure out a clean way to run high end cabling?

I am also curious to know if you will have any electrical issues with running both of those amps? For instance, a possibility of too much draw on the alternator and battery. Let us know! I have a couple of big amps in storage that I would love to put in my car, but I've wondered if she could handle it.

Questions:

How is the Dynamat performing? Can you notice a difference in road noise?

Are you using the stock wiring for your door speakers, or did you figure out a clean way to run high end cabling?

I am also curious to know if you will have any electrical issues with running both of those amps? For instance, a possibility of too much draw on the alternator and battery. Let us know! I have a couple of big amps in storage that I would love to put in my car, but I've wondered if she could handle it.

Dynamat is performing well, although from past experience, I've never really noticed a difference in road noise unless you outfit the entire car in dynamat, and I only did the doors, so not much difference. However, in terms of crisper, cleaner base response, the dynamat deffinately helps keep the loudness of the woofers inside the vehicle, and provides a much darker and rich tone.

For all the speakers, I used the stock wiring and spliced in my own cable. doesn't seem to be an issue, and honestly, speaker wire is speaker wire is speaker wire. I've never once been able to tell the difference between a car that used a stock speaker harness vs. 16 AWG or 14 AWG. You could have one strand of 18 AWG barely touching the speaker and still get full sound. IMHO - The only thing good about using thicker cable, is that it's easier to connect to the speaker and give it a better fit. Doesn't do anything for your sound though.

Absolutely no electrical issues whatsoever. No I did not install or ever intend to install a CAP. And it's not necesssary. There's no drain on the car, no dimming of lights etc. I can't say for certain on how "other" amps would perform. But JL Audio is a high-end quality amp, and i've never experienced any sort of drainage on the car when using them. My other car is a Nissan Maxima, and it has 3 JL Audio amps hooked up to it. No issues at all.

• 1 month later...
WOW :eek: I was searching for some answers to my own stereo wiring dilemma and I came across this tread.

I don't feel so bad now. :lol:

It was a good time foster... let me tell you :) Hey at least you didn't cut your right headlamp wires by accident ;) Fixed that though...

• 4 weeks later...
As promised... the completed installation of the Alpine IVA-W203 with NVE1/P1 Navigation, bluetooth, and XM. :)

000_0063.jpg

Alright, well... After having NUMEROUS issues with compatibility problems (XM, DVDs, Audio Processor, etc...) I decided to switch to the IVA-505/P1 instead of the IVA-W203/P1 that I previously had. The good news is, the IVA-505 has no issues, fully compatible with everything, has extra features, and I traded it for a meer $200 difference. The bad news, is that the "Black Trim" piece that covers the sides like in the above picture, didn't fit exactly the way I had it before because the clearance needed for the screen to drop (to insert cds etc) wasn't high enough.

So... I had to turn it around and upside down to make it fit properly. And now it's perfect.... EXCEPT that there's no more nice "Porsche" emblem on it. Does anyone know where I can get a couple of these exact Porsche Stickers (like above) so I can re-apply them to this side of the Trim Piece? Please let me know. Thanks!

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Well today finally came, the day I decided to take on replace the crappy JVC the previous :censored: owner decided to put in my Boxster S. So I was all excited to see my long awaited Alpine IVA-W203 with Navigation and XM and all the cables and installation kits galore arive today on my front porch....

That was until I actually began dissassembling the center dash pieces to take out the JVC unit... So let's get RIGHT to the pictures shall we? :lol:

So here we have the crappy JVC head unit the last numbskull decided "was a good idea" to put in a Porsche.

000_0048.jpg

And now the fun begins.... After removing ALL of this (Please note the fine job of duck tape, exposed wires and... WTF is that??

000_0050.jpg

Oh on closer inspection, it's an exposed transformer.... how thoughtful!

000_0060.jpg

And then of course I had to remove all of this...

000_0059.jpg

Just so I could discover this..... An original Black Porsche radio plug, and wait a minute.... WHERE'S THE YELLOW ONE???

000_0049.jpg

Oh and this fine outstanding job of cutting the brown wire close to the plug and splicing in some green cable... Now I have to reconnect this to the harness somehow.

000_0052.jpg

Here's where the yellow plug SHOULD be... but it's not, instead it's just chopped wires now.

000_0053.jpg

So then I take off the left trim piece, where the Traction Control, Rear Spoiler, and Rain Delay Timer all sit, I find the "Yellow" connector for the Traction Control is fine... but for the spoiler, it's just a bunch of crimped spade connectors spliced together to some other wires, Isn't there supossed to be an actual plug for this?

000_0055.jpg

I also found this in that same compartment, it's a blue and brown wire by itself, and it wasn't hooked up to anything...

000_0056.jpg

Alright so now that all that is out of the way... :soapbox: I need some serious help to get this out of control wire situation a bit more "hassle free."

#1) The Yellow Radio Power plug, that SHOULD be present, but isn't... is now 6 unconnected wires. I'd like to get a hold of the original factory plug that I can attach these back to. Does anyone have a clue where I could get that and those special snap in wire clips porsche uses to put their wires into these plugs? Part #'s?

#2) Those 5 wires for the spolier, is that the way those really came or can I get a plug for this guy too? If so where can I get that plug. Part #'s?

#3) What is that brown / blue wire / plug for that I said wasn't connected to anything?

In my particular setup, I have the HAES amp

000_0062.jpg

The Nokia DSP module

000_0061.jpg

which is hooked up via this guy...

000_0058.jpg

So question #4) Does this need to hook up to anything in my setup if I plan to throw out the DSP module in order to get sound or anything? I figured with the Alpine unit I'm installing, and the Imprint Module, I should have enough tuning where I don't need to hook anything up to that anymore and I can just not worry about it.

Question #5) is a routing question... I've purchased both navigation and XM which both have antennae that need to be placed in "preferably" inconspicuous places. Which can I place in the "security alarm light" area? The XM or the NAV? Where's a good place for the other?

I know this is a pretty lengthy post... but I want to make sure my car has "GOOD" wiring #1 and isn't all hacked up. and #2 I just can't stand it when people don't take the time to do it right the first time around and then leave it for me to clean up! :cursing:

I REALLY appreciate everyone's input and help here, my garage is basically "waiting" with parts and wires all over the place right now until I can order the right parts to fix the beast ;) Please let me know!

:renntech: