Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I am trying one more option before I empty my savings account to the dealership(lol) I have a 99 porsche boxster, what I am wondering is there any signs or anyway to check to see if the ecu is faulty. I have replaced the ignition switch and jumped the clutch switch also checked all the fuses. It will power up all the accessories and the silnoid will click but it will not attempt to turn over, thats why i think its something electrical. I am no auto guru just joe the plumber I need some help from the wealth of knowledge from the porsche gods....

I am trying one more option before I empty my savings account to the dealership(lol) I have a 99 porsche boxster, what I am wondering is there any signs or anyway to check to see if the ecu is faulty. I have replaced the ignition switch and jumped the clutch switch also checked all the fuses. It will power up all the accessories and the silnoid will click but it will not attempt to turn over, thats why i think its something electrical. I am no auto guru just joe the plumber I need some help from the wealth of knowledge from the porsche gods....

Have you tested the starter motor itself?

Is it a manual? If so, have you tried push starting the car?

Recently, my A4 has some weird electrical problems on the way to work. When I got there, I shut it off and it wouldn't start again. Turns out the problem was an ignition switch recall that I never had performed. (Oops) However, the bad ignition switch burned up the starter. (double Oops) I was able to push start the car with the help of a friend to get it to the dealer to get the recall done. They diagnosed the faulty starter, as well. (it was probably the starter solenoid but on the A4 it's part of the starter). I replaced the starter and all was fine.

Good luck...

great news!!! I did what you said and push started the car and it cranked right up. So does that definitely mean the starter is bad, I have tried everything for two weeks so believe me when I say thanks alot...

The next step would be to measure the voltage to the starter to make sure it is getting the proper current. If it is getting the proper current, it is most likely the starter. I have never done this on the Boxster so I have no idea where the starter is or how difficult it is to get to.

By the way, I am assuming you have checked the battery. ;-) If you were able to push start the car and it runs fine, then I would say it's most likely the starter or solenoid but check the voltage at the starter to be sure.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind I am not a mechanic, so please get a second opinion. :-p

Good luck!

.. I am no auto guru just joe the plumber..

Well, there's your problem right there. Everyone knows that Joe the Plumber should not be driving an elitist furrin' car like a Porsche. :-)

Seriously, though. Have you checked the battery voltage? You need to see at least 12.7 volts on a good voltmeter to start the car.