Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake lights on while driving

I have recently purchased a 2001 Boxster. Today I was flagged by someone behind me to tell me my brake lights were on while going down the road. The top was down. I didn't know if it could be crimping a wire, so I put it up and the lights were still on. They are not staying on when the car is off. I tried pushing the brake while the car was off, and I have no brake lights.

Anyone else have this happen? Anywhere I should look first?

Thanks

Loren is correct to suggest starting with the switch. Can you engage the cruise control? If not, then it most likely is the switch, and it might simply have gone out of adjustment. Here's what the shop manual says:

Checking brake light switch setting:

The pedal must move a perceptible distance of approx. 5 to 10 mm before the brake light lights up.

At the same time, check (make sure) that the brake light lights up before the pedal meets perceptible resistance or before brake pressure builds up.

There are two possibilities to adjust the switch if the pedal travel to the switching point is too small.

1st possibility:

- Press the brake pedal and pull out the switch plunger.

- Release the pedal. Check adjustment

2nd possibility:

- Release switch by turning it 90deg and pull it out of the installation opening.

- Pull operating plunger out of the switch as far as it will go.

- Reinstall the switch.

When installing the switch for the first time, it is essential to press it vertically against the bearing surface. It will otherwise not be possible to lock the switch (90deg turn), even if great force is exerted.

Note

A play-free fit of the switch is no longer ensured after it has been installed and removed several times. The switch must be replaced by a new switch as soon as it perceptibly "wobbles" in its receiver.

Adjusting switch if pedal travel is too large:

Press pedal and press plunger into the switch by one notch (audible click).

The pedal travel to the switching point then decreases by approx. 3... 4 mm.

Then check setting again.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Well, I tried the switch. I could not move the plunger while installed, so I removed the switch, pulled the plunger all the way out, and no brake lights, even when the pedal was depressed. I removed the switch again and tried to push it in one notch. The lights sorta flickered. Pulled the switch again, tried to push it in one notch, but it went too far. I tried to figure out where I was on the notches, but never got the lights to work again. The switch now has a perceptible wobble and I have to replace (I guess) I see on one website that there are two different switches. Does anyone know which one is correct for a cruise equipped 2001 car?

Thanks.

Not sure where you are located, or how far the closest dealer is, but that would be the first option. I'm sure there is a part number on the old switch, but if there are two part numbers that might not be correct either.

I'm sure a call to sunset could get one on the way quickly.

I checked a website "e German Parts" that has an online catalog. It lists two parts, but one is for the parking brake, one is the pedal, and it says fits with or without cruise control. And a price of about 13 bucks. Advance lists one switch, so does worldpac.

Well, I tried the switch. I could not move the plunger while installed, so I removed the switch, pulled the plunger all the way out, and no brake lights, even when the pedal was depressed. I removed the switch again and tried to push it in one notch. The lights sorta flickered. Pulled the switch again, tried to push it in one notch, but it went too far. I tried to figure out where I was on the notches, but never got the lights to work again. The switch now has a perceptible wobble and I have to replace (I guess) I see on one website that there are two different switches. Does anyone know which one is correct for a cruise equipped 2001 car?

Thanks.

The part number should be written on the switch.

• 4 years later...

Trying to use an old topic.

I´we just installed a new break light switch. (There is no question that was the problem since, upon examination, the switch was broken.)

My problem is that after installing the new switch the breaklights is always on. It doesn´t matter if is installed in its installation opening or just hanging free. There is neither any difference if it is pushed or not. According to my Ohm-meter the switch seems to work as should.

Since I dont wish to drive around with my breaks always "on". Any ideas?

• Admin

Trying to use an old topic.

I´we just installed a new break light switch. (There is no question that was the problem since, upon examination, the switch was broken.)

My problem is that after installing the new switch the breaklights is always on. It doesn´t matter if is installed in its installation opening or just hanging free. There is neither any difference if it is pushed or not. According to my Ohm-meter the switch seems to work as should.

Since I dont wish to drive around with my breaks always "on". Any ideas?

The pedal must move a perceptible distance of approx. 5 to 10 mm before the brake light lights up.
At the same time, check (make sure) that the brake light lights up before the pedal meets perceptible resistance or before brake pressure builds up.
There are two possibilities to adjust the switch if the pedal travel to the switching point is too small.
1st possibility:
- Press the brake pedal and pull out the switch plunger.
- Release the pedal. Check adjustment
2nd possibility:
- Release switch by turning it 900 and pull it out of the installation opening.
- Pull operating plunger out of the switch as far as it will go.
- Reinstall the switch.
When installing the switch for the first time, it is essential to press it vertically against the bearing surface. It will otherwise not be possible to lock the switch (90 degree turn), even if great force is exerted.
Note: A play-free fit of the switch is no longer ensured after it has been installed and removed several times. The switch must be replaced by a new switch as soon as it perceptibly "wobbles" in its receiver.

On my 1999 Boxster the brake lights do not work unless the ignition is on.

I ordered a replacement brake switch when I had trouble shifting out of park (shift lever button would not go down when I pressed it).

I new switch I ordered from Pelican Parts was about $10.75 U.S. It was slightly different is size and looks. With the new switch in my brake lights would not go off.

I went back and ordered the OEM switch from Pelican Parts (approximately $22.00 U.S.). My brake lights work perfectly, but I still have issues shifting out of park. I depress the shift button on the lever as I turn the ignition key.

My two cents.

MNC-I

I new switch I ordered from Pelican Parts was about $10.75 U.S. It was slightly different is size and looks. With the new switch in my brake lights would not go off.

That seems to be the same problem as I´m having - break lights wont turn off.

Could it be that my fault is due to having bought the wrong part? I have bought the clutch switch. I was lead to believe that the clutch and the break light switch are the same even thou they have different codes and one is brown, the other one red.

Jokifun,

You are absolutely correct.

Pelican parts listed two brake light switches for the 1997-2004 Boxster

a) 996-613-113-02-M100 (genuine Porsche) for $22.00

b) 996-613-113-02-M85 for $10.75

So I went with the cheaper part, which was the wrong answer.

MNC-I

Now I have it working! I used the bottom part from the old switch and the button part from the new switch.

OK, they are different parts. Note to self - always remember to buy the correct part! :oops:

But this is far from logic:

-On my newly bought (clutch-)switch, there are three part numbers

The middle number seems to be the same as for the break switch.

-Some Porsche sites suggest switching them over if you get problems with the break lights.

-They look the same (inside and out) accept for color.

-My parts dealer have them listed as the same part.