Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Forensic DNA help needed?

Hello all,

I'm reading a book titled "Porsche 996 The Essential Companion" (ISBN 978-1-84584-096-9) if anyone is interested. Lots of valuable information on a number of topics pertaining to the 996.

The topic I'm most interested in at this time is historical information regarding the make, model and year of my specific car. (2003 GT2)

Under the luggage compartment is a "White Label", this label identifies the vehicle by a number of various alpha/numeric codes.

Can anyone tell me how I may locate the information that deciphers these codes in order to make it a bit easier to understand? (I think the Da Vinci code was easier to crack)

Although the book answers many of the code issues it does not address the Vehicle-Ident-No. Can anyone offer direction here?

The big challenge is this...The "White Label" identifies my car as a 996 GT2 (996- 840), however,the engine code is listed as M9670.

My research shows that the engine application codes for GT2 model years 2001, 2002 and 2003 should be M96/70S. (For model year 2004 and 2005 the engine code should read, M96/70SL for the increased power.)

As I understand it using the M96/70 engine as the base PAG engineering created the even more powerful M96/70S engine developing 340kW (462hp) with 620Nm (4571lb-ft) of torque.

Should the "White Label" be congruent with this or is there another explanation, or is there a more concerning problem with "identification label mismatch"?

The car is a Canadian car with appropriate Country Code designation.

Any help is appreciated, thanks, Brock.

• Admin

Did you see our Option Decoder here?

Or, our VIN Decoder here?

Order type 996840 is a LHD GT2.

M9670 is the same as M96/70 and the M96/70 is the base engine for GT2 with several changes (as outlined in the 2001 Product Technik where it refers to the engine as M96/70S).

Even the parts list engine listing show only the base engine code (M9670) - but it does show the different Hp for the GT2 engines.

post-1-1225689989_thumb.png

Hope this helps some...

Did you see our Option Decoder here?

Or, our VIN Decoder here?

Order type 996840 is a LHD GT2.

M9670 is the same as M96/70 and the M96/70 is the base engine for GT2 with several changes (as outlined in the 2001 Product Technik where it refers to the engine as M96/70S).

Even the parts list engine listing show only the base engine code (M9670) - but it does show the different Hp for the GT2 engines.

post-1-1225689989_thumb.png

Hope this helps some...

Loren, thanks for the information, the PET Engine Code sheet was very helpful and the your explanation re the LHD GT2 code confirms what my research shows.

I'm still trying to make sense of the Vehicle-Ident-No. any suggestions where I might find this explained?

Thanks again, regards Brock>

Vehicle-Ident-No. is your VIN.

Copy it into the VIN decoder link I gave you in the previous message and it will give you what the codes mean.

Thanks again Loren, the VIN I figured out from using the decoder last week, the number I'm refering to is the series of numbers followed by 3 letters (173-3841 USC) found at the very top of the label just above the VIN. On mine it appears to be next to Vehicle-Ident-No. while the VIN appears next to Type.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier request. Regards, Brock.