Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Navigation retrofit.

I am in the process of retrofitting Nav and a CDC4 to my 997 carrera 2S.

Eveything has gone according to plan but I'm a bit unsure about the optical connections.

Does anyone know if the components need to be in a certain order within the loop.

ie Nav first or CDC first. The optical waveguide allows you to connect either component first

in the loop.

Also am I right in thinking that once I have completed the install I will

have to get an OPC to activate the components.

Cheers

Mike.

It all depends if the navigation unit being installed is new or second hand. If its a new item then it will need configuring for the options you plan to install , such as CD changer (or dension/mobridge unit) , Navigation, Bose etc. If its a second hand unit it may already be configured for some or all of the items , press MAIN and TRIP buttons together to see a list of coded devices. As to the Optical waveguide or MOST fibre optic , yes there is a set sequence, PCM - AMP -CD - NAVIGATION. The telephone module is also optical waveguide but this is on a different loop.

If you are retro fitting a navigation unit to a vehicle previously not equipped with one , make sure the navigation DVD drive matches the chassis range of your car and model , (ie the PCM is the same hardware level as the DVD drive). If its not matched there can be issues with getting it to work properly.

It all depends if the navigation unit being installed is new or second hand. If its a new item then it will need configuring for the options you plan to install , such as CD changer (or dension/mobridge unit) , Navigation, Bose etc. If its a second hand unit it may already be configured for some or all of the items , press MAIN and TRIP buttons together to see a list of coded devices. As to the Optical waveguide or MOST fibre optic , yes there is a set sequence, PCM - AMP -CD - NAVIGATION. The telephone module is also optical waveguide but this is on a different loop.

If you are retro fitting a navigation unit to a vehicle previously not equipped with one , make sure the navigation DVD drive matches the chassis range of your car and model , (ie the PCM is the same hardware level as the DVD drive). If its not matched there can be issues with getting it to work properly.

Thanks for that.

My car already had the main PCM unit so I bought the Nav drive and changer used. My local OPC

confirmed that the DVD drive I bought would work so I ordered the rest of the parts and did the install.

Pressing Main and Trip shows no coded devices so I guess its a trip to the Porsche dealers.

Depending on the software version of your PCM , you may need to update the PCM as well as the navigation unit . When you press main and trip buttons , what is the software version displayed at the top of the screen ? If its any number below 3.0 then you will need to update the PCM and Navigation unit , especially if you want to use a map that is 04.2005 or later and have the TMC function. The software update comes as part of a package when you purchase the latest map DVD from the OPC. The cost of the current map (which is 08.2007 I beleive) is in the region of 450 pounds. The delaer should carry out the software update as part of the service after buying the MAP. If your PCM is software level 3 or above then the PCM and navigation unit should be able to use any map from 04.2005 or later , without the need to update the software. This leaves you open to the option of buying a used map on e bay and saving some money.

• 1 month later...

Hi I was going to ask if any one had any info on haow to reomve the PCM Nav unit, physically? Mine sometimes the screen gets like interference and I was going to see if I could re-seat what ever connects the screen inside the unit

cheers

ian

• 2 months later...
As to the Optical waveguide or MOST fibre optic , yes there is a set sequence, PCM - AMP -CD - NAVIGATION. The telephone module is also optical waveguide but this is on a different loop.

Berty,

Where in this order would the SIRIUS fit? My un-educated guess would put it between CD and NAVIGATION so PCM -> AMP -> CD Changer -> Navigation but I'd like some confirmation before I button the boot up.

As to the Optical waveguide or MOST fibre optic , yes there is a set sequence, PCM - AMP -CD - NAVIGATION. The telephone module is also optical waveguide but this is on a different loop.

Berty,

Where in this order would the SIRIUS fit? My un-educated guess would put it between CD and NAVIGATION so PCM -> AMP -> CD Changer -> Navigation but I'd like some confirmation before I button the boot up.

Just got back from getting everything coded at the local dealer and it looks like I was correct in my assumption

• 4 months later...