Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

COMPASS function working without PCM ?

I was reading about the COMPASS Activation beeing available only for the cars that have the PCM installed, more exactlly the PCM2.1.

However, the other day, a friend of mine with a 2003-2004 PCS came to me to clear some error codes, and what I discovered is that he had this function running even if he didnt have the PCM installed; the car came with the CDR23 installed. So, I assume that the GPS antennas are allready in the car? On the main gauges settings, there was also a setting that allowed you to run test and callibrate the COMPASS, so that I had to drive the car in a full circle, and it worked.

Anyone know how is this possible?

the picture that I tooked doesnt show the actual configuration, but I will get another one in a few days to show all the dashboard.

post-32992-1226576495_thumb.jpg

My 04 CS without nav has the compass (same as in your pic). If you look at the order guides available on this website, they were only an $80 option. And yes, there is a recalibration selection in the menu, not that I've ever used it. I am not sure having a compass requires a GPS antenna.

I was reading about the COMPASS Activation beeing available only for the cars that have the PCM installed, more exactlly the PCM2.1.

However, the other day, a friend of mine with a 2003-2004 PCS came to me to clear some error codes, and what I discovered is that he had this function running even if he didnt have the PCM installed; the car came with the CDR23 installed. So, I assume that the GPS antennas are allready in the car? On the main gauges settings, there was also a setting that allowed you to run test and callibrate the COMPASS, so that I had to drive the car in a full circle, and it worked.

Anyone know how is this possible?

the picture that I tooked doesnt show the actual configuration, but I will get another one in a few days to show all the dashboard.

Didnt knew that this was possible, without a GPS configuration. so, as the TSB says it's only a software. that is what I think also about the option that you got. still interesting and still think it uses a gps antenna for doing it.

There is a magnetic field sensor package which I think is installed under the rear seat (955-642--23-00)

The option is not software activateable without that hardware.

Didnt knew that this was possible, without a GPS configuration. so, as the TSB says it's only a software. that is what I think also about the option that you got. still interesting and still think it uses a gps antenna for doing it.

• Moderators

The compass sits in the cluster and works autonomous, the reason is if the car is equipped with the navigation option and you drive through a long tunnel, the GPS antenna ( sat. signal reception ) may be disturbed or drop out, the compass will take over temporary and limited.