Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Vibrating / Abnormal Noise

Flying V

Hi Guys,

Last weekend I took my 996 GT3-MK1 to the track. After a few warm up laps, I noticed each time I would go thru fast corners, there would be a abnormal sound on the rear of the car. The sound sounded like as if the wheel was rubbing against the fenders. Besides the sound there would be a vibrating sensation. However when I checked the car by lifting it, there are no signs of wheel rubbing. The sound is consistent whether the car takes left or right corners. When I take the corners slow, the sound doesn't appear...it's only when there is "g force" in rear portion of the car during turns when the sound and vibration would appear. One guess that I have could be the engine support....

Thanks for your inputs in advance guys!

Godspeed!

Several years ago, I had a similar sounding problem driving my 993TT. Much to my embarrassment, it was loose lugnuts. I'd been doing track events for many years, and for some reason, this time, had failed to check the torque of the nuts after a session. Ended my day early since I couldn't find a problem, drove all the way home, no problem (luckily). Drove it to the dealer. Tech took it out with me, heard the noise, tightened the nuts.

Edited by ltcjmramos

• Moderators

Hi V..... It's hard to determine what you are experiencing, not being able to hear the sound ourselves. It could still be wheel rub... do you have stock size tires/wheels in the rear? How about suspension parts.....all stock?

• Moderators

Hi V.... Since your wheels and tire sizes are stock, it is unlikely that you are hearing tire rub. Worn dampers would not necessarily allow the tires to rub. As mentioned above, it could be wheel bearings, but GT3's are not known for wearing their rear bearings prematurely.....and, it's unlikely that both would wear out evenly such that you hear the sound equally on right and left turns. A noisy LSD differential could create the same sound on right and left turns. Mk I and Mk II LSD diffs do make noticeable noise on very slow speed turns, both going forward and backward(they are clutch type, asymmetric, 40/60 lock up)....., I've not heard mine at speed, though. And, if worn, I would expect the LSD to make less noise, not more. Certainly, loose wheel bolts can make noise and need immediate attention. If that's the problem, before you just torque them up, check the bolts and wheel holes for wear. I've seen loose steel bolts/studs hog out the bolt holes in alloy wheels. Please let us know what you find.

Hey guys! Just want to give an update on what's wrong with my car. Apparently it's the transmission support that needs replacement. The rubber on the support has worn out, so when the tranny is subjected to g force during turns, some part of the tranny and the mounts would be metal to metal. I'm so glad that the extent of the problem wasn't so bad. If it was the LSD, it would have cost me some $$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Godspeed!