Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM/NAV Update Question - Early MY Build 997's

So I was browsing through some of the old information that I had gathered up when trying to do the NAV update, heres what I'm seeing. According to the "PCM2.1 and BOSE Amplifier spare parts requirements" before updating to Model Level A, you must first check to see if you have the correct Bose amplifier. It states any bose amps having part number 997.645.333.04 or 997.645.333.05 must be replaced with 997.645.334.22 or newer. It would seem therefore as though there is no way to update amp so that the nav update can be peformed through software. There are BOSE software updates out there but as far as I know none of them will accomplish this action.

From what I read of the tech bulletin , if the vehicle is an early 997 or 987 Boxster running pre production status software 04035AD1 on the PCM and AMP software 00016400 or 00016401 , then the level A update on its own will not update the AMP. It would seem from the hard experience of Arnie and others, that performing a Level A update on a vehicle with the earlier AMP not only corrupts the software in the AMP , but can also crash the PCM. Depending on the actual hardware (part number) of the AMP , it can be updated , but with the PWIS only. It appears that there is only one derivative of Bose AMP originally running 00016400 / 1 software than can be updated , that being PT no 997 645 33 06. If the amplifier is the earlier derivative ending in 04 or 05 then the whole unit must be replaced to allow the PCM to be updated.

If the vehicle is running level A software 04202JD1 then the Amplifier will already be at 00017500 , so the only update available / required is to level B. There are no issues with updating level A PCM units with 00017500 amp software and PCM software 04202JD1 to level B , providing you follow the correct procedures in the TSB and use software for a reliable source. If the vehicle does not have BOSE , I see no reason the level A update and subsequent level B software cannot be performed by yourself on a PCM running 04035AD1 software originally.

The rule of thumb is if your car HAS BOSE , tread carefully when updating the PCM , and check the software setttings in the PCM before starting. This can be done by pressing MAIN and TRIP buttons to reveal the service menu. If the AMP is at the earlier 00016400 or 00016401 then you will need assistance from Porsche to update the software , if not a complete new AMP, to allow you to update the PCM.

If your car has the BOSE software level 00017500 , then the update should be a much simpler procedure providing you follow the TSB and use releiable software.

If your car does not have BOSE then the update using the correct software should not require any intervention from Porsche main agents.

Remember that before doing any update to level B you MUST also have a new map DVD for the navigation drive , this must be version 2005 or later. If you insert the 2004 map DVD back into an updated PCM the DVD and nav locks up.

If anyone needs any guidance on updating PCM's send me a PM and I can explain in more detail and answer any questions you may have..

Edited by berty987

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATE

New Bose amp was installed this morning. It's a 5 minute job.

PCM Update disc p/n 000 043 205 46 004 (Level 2 - 4202) was retried and all went well.

PCM software is now at 4202 and Bose Amp software is 17500.

Even my Dension GW500 was restored w/o having to reset anything.

No drama or issues now.

Bottomline: If your Bose amp displays a s/w level of 16400 it must be dealt w/ prior to any PCM updates.

Next step is to go forward w/ PCM2.1 - NAV Update (Kit 997-044-901-51).

Thanks to Berty & PTEC for their information and advice.

ps. Even though my 997S is out of warranty my dealer provided the new amp and labor on a 'Goodwill Work Order'. Kudos to them.

UP-DATE . . . . PCM & NAV SUCCESSFULLY UPDATED TO 'MY 08 NAVIGATION UPDATE' (PORSCHE KIT 997 044 901 51)

Just completed the PCM and NAV software updates to enable use of the Porsche NAVTEQ MAP DVD (08/2007). It went according to plan and the Installation & Conversion Instructions.

I already attached PCM screen shots for 1.0 Software Version in an earlier post. Here's the screen shots for 2.1 & 3.0.

2.1 Software Versions

Before2.jpgBefore3.jpg

Before4.jpgBefore5.jpg

3.0 Software Versions

After2.jpgAfter3.jpg

After4.jpgAfter5.jpg

Just remember one thing. If you have Level 1.0 software version (ie. Initial or Standard Release) and your Bose Amplifier software is lower than version 17500 you'll most likely need to replace the Bose Amp w/ a later version.

I hopes this helps anyone w/ an early build 997 that plans to update or replace there NAVTEQ mapping DVD.

Phew, must be a relief now its all done ! The version 2.1 software was a result of updating to level A I assume ? Interestingly this seems to be a software level beyond most factory fit level A PCM.s. Yours is the first PCM I've seen with PCM software 04202LD1 / 1705 and 2.1 software. The System software mirrors that which I had in my car originally with level A version 1 software (04202JD1/3004). I think we can now conclude that the software version displayed at the top of the screen on the banner line relates to the PCM rather than SYS element of the unit. It is also proven that the software update for these units is identical for both Europe and the USA . The only difference I can see is that the navigation software level is 00179436 compared to 00174436 for Europe. The last four digits after the stroke relate to calender week and year of the map release. your map being week 33 2006 and the European latest map being week 29 2006. Thanks for sharing this info on the Forum , a great thread.

One last request, can you take a picture of your PCM showing the whole unit as I think you commented earlier it has some subtle differences to the later PCM 2.1 units. Thanks

Edited by berty987

Here's a pic (not too good due to flash glare) of the PCM panel. It is the first issue (I believe identified as Standard or Initial) for the 997. My 997 is #337 of the production line. It was a US 'Launch Car' and hence it's had some early build equipment. Most have been changed out by recall. You quickly notice it has no phone features (ie. SOS button, SIM slot, etc) Most early 997 PCM's were replaced due to defects (ie. stuck disc, etc), dealer goodwill and/or warranty upgrades. I never bothered since it performed just fine. Believe it or not I try to follow the old adage . . . If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

IMG_0118Large.jpg

The actual NAVTEQ DVD is marked 08/2007. I suspect the actual mapping data from NAVTEQ is from 2006. The actual Porsche Kit identifies it as 'Model Year 2008 Update'. Thats a bit of marketing B.S. If we could buy direct from NAVTEQ I'm sure we get current mapping and it would cost a lot less. Porsche has a deal w/ NAVTEQ to prevent this from ever happening so we're stuck w/ the slow process Porsche uses to release product updates.

Edited by AP 997S

Very interesting and definitively educational article. Thanks to all for this great information.

Recently I placed a call to NAV-TV inquiring about their Porsche compatible products (Satellite radio, Bluetooth, Ipod), and the tech support guy recommended that before trying any of them, to first update the PCM to SW 3.0

He said that it should be an easy process, and that a Porsche dealer should be able to do it in no time, and for free.

Well not so easy, I called my local Porsche dealer. The service advisor said that he was not familiar with it, and that he was going to call me back once he found out some information. This was about three weeks ago, and I have not heard back from him.

Looking at this article, I was able to check my SW version. My PCM SW version is at 1.0, it looks just like Arnie’s EXCEPT the amplifier software. Mine has a Red Triangle instead of a check mark. The triangle seems as a warning. The SW version for the Bose amp is 17500. Any ideas to be able to perform the upgrade??

post-38578-1232329928_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtef

Check the versions for PCM and SYSTEM too , the triangle next to the amplifier may indicate the amplifier has been replaced with a newer version. The only definitive way to know what updates are required is to check the software versions for the PCM and SYSTEM. If your unit is at level A it should only require the update to level B and a newer 2005 or later MAP DVD to reach software level 3. If you plan to update to level 3 is is essential that you have a 2005 or later MAP DVD available after the update as the 2004 maps are no longer compatable and cause overheating or lock ups of the PCM 2.1. The Dension product is compatable with earlier PCM 2.1 units running level A or "existing model " ie version 1 and version 2 software , as AP997S car had a dension installed before the update to level A I beleive.

Edited by berty987

Check the versions for PCM and SYSTEM too , the triangle next to the amplifier may indicate the amplifier has been replaced with a newer version. The only definitive way to know what updates are required is to check the software versions for the PCM and SYSTEM. If your unit is at level A it should only require the update to level B and a newer 2005 or later MAP DVD to reach software level 3. If you plan to update to level 3 is is essential that you have a 2005 or later MAP DVD available after the update as the 2004 maps are no longer compatable and cause overheating or lock ups of the PCM 2.1. The Dension product is compatable with earlier PCM 2.1 units running level A or "existing model " ie version 1 and version 2 software , as AP997S car had a dension installed before the update to level A I beleive.

Thanks Berty.

I wil post those. I do have a question, Arnie mentioned the use of a PWIS to reset the warning icon. Is the PWIS similar to the VAG-COM used on VW/Audis?

The local dealer has not been very helpful or don't seem to have much knowledge of the upgrade process.

post-38578-1232532717_thumb.jpg

The pwis is indeed similar to vag-com though the number of available DIY options / emulators is very limited and still quite expensive. To be honest the warning triangle makes no difference to the operation of the unit so the only time you are likely to need the PWIS unit , is to add on or activate devices not currently configured. Post the details of your SYSTEM and PCM software as well as what other modules are configured or send me a PM. I can confirm what updates are required to bring you up to software version 3.

Edited by berty987

The pwis is indeed similar to vag-com though the number of available DIY options / emulators is very limited and still quite expensive. To be honest the warning triangle makes no difference to the operation of the unit so the only time you are likely to need the PWIS unit , is to add on or activate devices not currently configured. Post the details of your SYSTEM and PCM software as well as what other modules are configured or send me a PM. I can confirm what updates are required to bring you up to software version 3.

Thanks for your help Berty. I'll be sure to post the other PCM information.

What do you think about this DIY alternative to the PWIS? http://www.durametric.com/

I Beleive this only allows interrogation of the modules and resetting of fault codes , I do not think you can code in new items with it.

You are correct the Durametric has limited programing capability (but is thousands less dollars than a PIWIS).

Is the Durametric capable tp do updates to the MOST ring?

I do not beleive so...The durametric is designed to allow the DIY enthusiast to interrogate the OBD (on board diagnostics) its not intended to be a full programming unit. To do this it would require a lot of specific Porsche software for coding of the various modules.

• Admin
I Beleive this only allows interrogation of the modules and resetting of fault codes , I do not think you can code in new items with it.

You are correct the Durametric has limited programing capability (but is thousands less dollars than a PIWIS).

Is the Durametric capable tp do updates to the MOST ring?

No, you would need a PIWIS tester for that.

If I recall the PIWIS cost over $10K and then you have to subscribe to all of it's software updates. You'll find that although it's sold by Porsche I'd be surprised if any DIY'rs have one. Some independent shops have them but they too are few and far between.

Your dealer's service shop might just as a 'courtesy' run through your PCM set up parameters and null out the triangle. I suspect it's posting the 'triangle' due to the fact that it encounters an unrecognizable Bose amp (ie. 17500 rather than 16400). It might have to do w/ the fact that your system software is at 1.0 and the 17500 amp I believe applies to 2.1 and up. It appears that it's functioning just fine . . . I suspect you get audio on all sources (ie. radio, CD, NAV, etc).

Get chummy w/ you service adviser and have them look at it. It shouldn't take them more than 15 to 20 minutes.

If I recall the PIWIS cost over $10K and then you have to subscribe to all of it's software updates. You'll find that although it's sold by Porsche I'd be surprised if any DIY'rs have one. Some independent shops have them but they too are few and far between.

Your dealer's service shop might just as a 'courtesy' run through your PCM set up parameters and null out the triangle. I suspect it's posting the 'triangle' due to the fact that it encounters an unrecognizable Bose amp (ie. 17500 rather than 16400). It might have to do w/ the fact that your system software is at 1.0 and the 17500 amp I believe applies to 2.1 and up. It appears that it's functioning just fine . . . I suspect you get audio on all sources (ie. radio, CD, NAV, etc).

Get chummy w/ you service adviser and have them look at it. It shouldn't take them more than 15 to 20 minutes.

The 017500 amp is also applicable to SW version 1 as my vehicle was at level 1 with this AMP software. The key is whether you are at existing modle or level A. In my case I was at level A with SW 1. The SW version displayed on the header bar can be misleading , it's the PCM and SYSTEM versions that determine if the PCM is running "existing model level" or "level A". You need to transcribe these codes by referencing the TSB's to determine what level of software is being run on the system. The software version displayed on the header bar does not directly translate to a specific model level of software below version 3.

Edited by berty987

Marco,

From your screen shots you have the initial release of PCM hardware (no phone features) and PCM software (04035). Your Bose Amp at one time must have been replaced since it has 17500 firmware (not 16400). You should be able to confirm this from your service and/or warranty records from Porsche NA.

Don't know what your VIN is but I suspect it's a rather low build number.

All that said you should be able to go to Version Level 3.0 without problems. At least I did once I reached the point you're at now.

Arnie

Marco,

From your screen shots you have the initial release of PCM hardware (no phone features) and PCM software (04035). Your Bose Amp at one time must have been replaced since it has 17500 firmware (not 16400). You should be able to confirm this from your service and/or warranty records from Porsche NA.

Don't know what your VIN is but I suspect it's a rather low build number.

All that said you should be able to go to Version Level 3.0 without problems. At least I did once I reached the point you're at now.

Arnie

Thanks for your post Arnie, I will be looking into the amp warning next.

Marco

To get to version 3 software (level B) you will need to first update to level A , then update from A to B. Since your amp is already at 017500 you should not have the same issues Arnie did with his car. The level A update is available from the dealer , the level b update is not sold separately and comes as part of the new map update. You may be lucky and find a forum member with the level B discs that is willing to lend you.

Very interesting and definitively educational article. Thanks to all for this great information.

Recently I placed a call to NAV-TV inquiring about their Porsche compatible products (Satellite radio, Bluetooth, Ipod), and the tech support guy recommended that before trying any of them, to first update the PCM to SW 3.0

He said that it should be an easy process, and that a Porsche dealer should be able to do it in no time, and for free.

Well not so easy, I called my local Porsche dealer. The service advisor said that he was not familiar with it, and that he was going to call me back once he found out some information. This was about three weeks ago, and I have not heard back from him.

Looking at this article, I was able to check my SW version. My PCM SW version is at 1.0, it looks just like Arnie’s EXCEPT the amplifier software. Mine has a Red Triangle instead of a check mark. The triangle seems as a warning. The SW version for the Bose amp is 17500. Any ideas to be able to perform the upgrade??

Help - Which two buttons to i press to find out what software version i am runing on my PCM?

thanks

Rob

• 2 months later...
'Main' & 'Trip'.

Push or turn the lower right hand knob (PCM selection knob) to either change the device or query for device detail (ie. level).

I'm considering upgrading my EARLY 2005 997s' PCM and navigation discs. The dealer wants $150 to upgrade the PCM and $200 for the new NAV discs. My questions is, is this in any way worth it ? What do you get with the updated PCM and are the new NAV discs THAT much better? Could someone post either pictures and or experiences please.

THANKS !

JR