Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM/NAV Update Question - Early MY Build 997's

'Main' & 'Trip'.

Push or turn the lower right hand knob (PCM selection knob) to either change the device or query for device detail (ie. level).

I'm considering upgrading my EARLY 2005 997s' PCM and navigation discs. The dealer wants $150 to upgrade the PCM and $200 for the new NAV discs. My questions is, is this in any way worth it ? What do you get with the updated PCM and are the new NAV discs THAT much better? Could someone post either pictures and or experiences please.

THANKS !

JR

If you have the initial NAV disc (04/2004) you'll get the mapping and POI up to mid 2007 (08/2007) w/ the update. That's just over 3 years of changes or updates. Depending on your geographic area and the road or POI changes since the initial release it could be beneficial. There are no new features included w/ the update.

Make sure you're dealer is prepared to include the upgraded Bose Amp in case that needs to be changed. Review this thread for more details concerning the Bose Amp.

Is it worth it? Depends on how much you use it and if you're anal about keeping your configuration current.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The update allows you to receive traffic updates, which do not work in the US, allows you to purchase and have logbook installed for $800 + dollars and allows you to have extended Navigation installed for another $400+.... But you do get new maps and a fake leather CD case...

I thought the case was genuine leather. **** . . . they fooled me w/ faux leather.

It does have a nice embossed logo and plastic sleeves to hold all your Map & PCM DVDs & CDs.

In Porsche eyes its worth a pile of german marks.

:) :cheers: :thumbup:

• 6 months later...

I just want to add this conversation.

Before I had ever heard of this forum I bought the Nav upgrade, B, and tried to install it.

My amp bricked!

Searching around the net I found this and wished I found it earlier.

With the help of this forum and specially AP997S I got the CD upgrade to A and a used amp with the right hardware nr from eBay.

I got the amp (997.645.334.22) and installed it and now the

sound was back. The amps SW was 17500.

I then proceeded with the upgrade and it all worked fine.

Upgrade order:

1. Upgrade A

2. Upgrade B

3. Nav upgrade MY08

Thank's

Edited by jensk

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help: I have an early build 2005 997s

Here are pictures of my NAV Unit version screen:

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

Dealer wants to charge me $345.00 parts/tax and labor to update software with new maps.

I can buy THIS on ebay for $120.00

PORSCHE Navigation DVD PCM 2.1 OEM Ver. 05.2007

For model years 2005 to 2008 Boxsters,

Cayman and 997s with PCM 2.1 Navigation. This DVD is version 05.2007

Numbers on the DVD: 997.642.257.05

7L5.919.859.BE

THIS IS A USED ORIGINAL; NOT A COPY

What am I missing here? ? ? ??

Thanks for helping me sort through this.

Your PCM needs to upgraded and possibly your Bose Amp (if you have one) in order for a late version of the NAV DVD to function.

Do a search on this forum regarding this topic and you'll get a better understanding of the steps involved.

• 3 months later...

Wow, if I had read all of the posts with issues on replacing my CDR with a PCM, I would have stopped before I began. Guess I just have dumb luck. Just bought a mint condition PCM2.1 (997.642.103.11) for :D $225. Checked the part number in the Porsche PET catalogue and it matched the list for my '05 987 ;) . After a quick swap plug and play, the unit fired right up and sounded great with the Bose system. I only had one intial problem. The unit would take a cd and not play or eject it. After cycling the power off several times and letting the system power down, the cd would eject but not play. Several more cycles and it now functions fawlessly :) .

My next task is to find a Nav drive to install with the GPS antenna. B) Can the Nav drive be omitted? <_<

Question: Can the GPS antenna connect to the PCM? Can the Nav disk run in the PCM? I don't like to use cd's so I plan on installing a Ipod/Bluetooth unit. :thumbup:

You need a navigation DVD drive to enable the navigation option , the PCM only reads audio CD's it doesn't read the navigation DVD. You will need a navigation DVD drive plus the Map DVD and a GPS antennae to get the navigation system operational on your PCM. You will also probably need a new MOST fibre optic cable to add the new DVD drive to the loop. The navigation DVD drive only plays navigation DVD's it wont play video DVD's or music. Depending on what coding was in the PCM before it was removed from its original vehicle , will determine if you need a porsche dealer to recode the PCM to accept the navigation DVD drive. If you press main and trip buttons you get a menu page. If navigation is listed as a module in the list then its already coded on the PCM and you only need connect the hardware to get it working. The GPS antennae connects to the navigation DVD drive , not the PCM.

Regarding bluetooth etc, you need a nav tv, dension, or mobridge unit to allow this function to be added. The devices need the CD changer enabled on the PCM ( look at the menu displayed with main and trip to see if a CD changer is coded) to communicate with the PCM.

Before you buy a navigation DVD drive you need to check that its hardware is compatable with your PCM. You can do this by looking at your PCM part number and the chassis range that it is associated with on hte PET parts catalogue. Then get a nav DVD drive that has a part number associated with the same chassis range as the PCM. If you get an older nav drive or one intended for a Gt3 or carrera 4 it may not work properly.

Edited by berty987

Great information, thanks for the reply.

Where to start. Comparing what you are saying to what I am seeing on the PCM makes more sense. The unit I have must of had a Nav Drive and CD changer as I get the warning when powered on that there is no nav drive or changer. I guess I will find out as I progress through this project what was original to the PCM and what needs to be activated with PIWIS. Can any of the activations be done through the Durametric software? The Nav warning should clear away when I add a DVD ROM, and when I add the Ipod adapter the changer warning should go away. The install of the drive and the gps antenna looks straight forward. Now I need to find the correct drive at the right price. Thanks for the tip on the DVD drive part number.

Any recomendations re: Ipod/Bluetooth adapter? Mobridge, Dension? The installs look simple, but opinions on the interface between the Ipod and Bluetooth is what I am concerned with.

If the DVD drive has the same chassis range allocation as the PCM there will be no compatability issues. Regarding bluetooth, the Mobridge unit is designed to work with apple products be they i phone or i pod devices , though I'm not sure how good the interface is with other phones or if a bluetooth option exists. The Dension is compatable with i phones and i pods as well as most phones, though its connectivity and functionality with apple products is not quite as seamless as with the mobridge. An add on bluetooth module is required to get bluetooth connectivity with hte dension, you also need to have the tel module activated in the PCM using the PWIS. The nav TV option has both good and bad press , but for my money I would buy dension or mobridge , particularly for the suport offered and that the devices are often firmware upgraded.

Regarding error triangles these will not affect the operation of the device and in most cases the error triangle will remain after fitting a mobridge or dension as its not identical in its configuration to a CD changer so throws a fault on the MOST loop.

Since you have no way of knowing which car the PCM was originally installed in and configured for its best to have the PWIS connected and the device correclt set up for your vehicle. This will ensure the number of speaker outputs, the listening position and audio tuning parameters are set for your make and model of car.

Edited by berty987

What is the # that refers to the chassis range allocation? Is it the 997.642 segment? I am not sure how this works. I have been checking the effective parts by using Porsche Pet that has a limited # of effective units. By knowing what is referred to as the chassis range should open up more effective #’s

Thanks for the input on the IPod interfaces; I am leaning in the direction of the Mobridge or Dension units. I plan to make the purchase and install in the next month.

The current settings of the PCM seem to have all of the correct parameters but its best to confirm. Once I have the Nav drive and Ipod interface installed I plan on having the setup confirmed by PIWIS.

• 3 weeks later...

You need a navigation DVD drive to enable the navigation option , the PCM only reads audio CD's it doesn't read the navigation DVD. You will need a navigation DVD drive plus the Map DVD and a GPS antennae to get the navigation system operational on your PCM. You will also probably need a new MOST fibre optic cable to add the new DVD drive to the loop. The navigation DVD drive only plays navigation DVD's it wont play video DVD's or music. Depending on what coding was in the PCM before it was removed from its original vehicle , will determine if you need a porsche dealer to recode the PCM to accept the navigation DVD drive. If you press main and trip buttons you get a menu page. If navigation is listed as a module in the list then its already coded on the PCM and you only need connect the hardware to get it working. The GPS antennae connects to the navigation DVD drive , not the PCM.

Regarding bluetooth etc, you need a nav tv, dension, or mobridge unit to allow this function to be added. The devices need the CD changer enabled on the PCM ( look at the menu displayed with main and trip to see if a CD changer is coded) to communicate with the PCM.

Before you buy a navigation DVD drive you need to check that its hardware is compatable with your PCM. You can do this by looking at your PCM part number and the chassis range that it is associated with on hte PET parts catalogue. Then get a nav DVD drive that has a part number associated with the same chassis range as the PCM. If you get an older nav drive or one intended for a Gt3 or carrera 4 it may not work properly.

I am in the process of also updating my 2004 Cayenne which has CD based Navigation with a 2006 PCM and DVD Drive unit. I'm having a heck of a time determining which cables I need between the PCM and DVD Drive. I believe they are: 955-622-313-00 Optical Cable, 955-647-207-00 Coax Conn, 955-647-208-00 Connecting Cable. If the GPS antenna connects to the DVD Drive, if I disconnect it from my old PCM is there enough cable to re-route it to the DVD Drive below the seat. Sure hope someone can help with these questions. THanks in advance.

• Admin

I am in the process of also updating my 2004 Cayenne which has CD based Navigation with a 2006 PCM and DVD Drive unit. I'm having a heck of a time determining which cables I need between the PCM and DVD Drive. I believe they are: 955-622-313-00 Optical Cable, 955-647-207-00 Coax Conn, 955-647-208-00 Connecting Cable. If the GPS antenna connects to the DVD Drive, if I disconnect it from my old PCM is there enough cable to re-route it to the DVD Drive below the seat. Sure hope someone can help with these questions. THanks in advance.

MY2006 Fiber Optic Cables - use the chart to find your options and the correct cables.

post-1-126887181369_thumb.png