Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3.4 X51 Oil Scavenge return line mod.

All,

I'm in the process of installing the X51 Oiling mod that was offered on early ROW 996's 99-02. This was a PMNA mod for competition that provided lubrication to cylinders 4-6 in long extended left hand turns on the race track. Im needing specs on machining for the oil return tube and attaching hardware. Any one gut any clues. This was a very rare installation and only came on the early Euro sport 996 with M96 3.4 Engine.

Someone said this might have been in a TSB, but the information is seriously out of date by todays standards. PNMA no longer offers this as a modification.

I no one knows about it Im sure I'll get by as its just basic engine machining techniques.

D_Man

I can get you the details but you have to tell me where you found the dual stage scavenge pump and if there are any left. PM please. :)

-Paul

All,

I'm in the process of installing the X51 Oiling mod that was offered on early ROW 996's 99-02. This was a PMNA mod for competition that provided lubrication to cylinders 4-6 in long extended left hand turns on the race track. Im needing specs on machining for the oil return tube and attaching hardware. Any one gut any clues. This was a very rare installation and only came on the early Euro sport 996 with M96 3.4 Engine.

Someone said this might have been in a TSB, but the information is seriously out of date by todays standards. PNMA no longer offers this as a modification.

I no one knows about it Im sure I'll get by as its just basic engine machining techniques.

D_Man

Paul

I will post a write up on this installation when I get my parts in. At that time I will inform the board where I found the scavange pump kit and the avalibility of any others.

I have been told that this is not a a total fix to all the oil lubrication issues that come up when tracking a 996, but it is a start in the right direction ,if you want a 996 to operate reliably on the track.

At this time I would just be curious if anyone on the board has performed the X51 Oilling modification.

D_Man

Here is the little info that I have saved on this topic that someone else posted a while back ago on another forum. Hope it helps.

Paul

I will post a write up on this installation when I get my parts in. At that time I will inform the board where I found the scavange pump kit and the avalibility of any others.

I have been told that this is not a a total fix to all the oil lubrication issues that come up when tracking a 996, but it is a start in the right direction ,if you want a 996 to operate reliably on the track.

At this time I would just be curious if anyone on the board has performed the X51 Oilling modification.

D_Man

post-12347-1229782590_thumb.jpg

post-12347-1229782604_thumb.jpg

post-12347-1229782618_thumb.jpg

post-12347-1229782627_thumb.jpg

post-12347-1229782636_thumb.jpg

I thought suncoast porsche provided a performance oiling kit for the Carrera... cost was about $1K sounds like a worthwhile mod... I recently scored cylinder #6 at a recent track event... probably due to oil starvation...

do the 3.6 engines already have this build in?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Only X51 engines.

thx Loren,

what about the 2005 and beyond 3.6 and 3.8 engines... did they have any type of oiling implements that were not present in the 2002-2004 3.6 engines?

Bump to Loren. I am also curious as to 1) are there changes to the M97 that make this modification unnecessary and 2) if not, can this kit be installed on the M97?

Cheers,

• Admin

Only X51 engines.

thx Loren,

what about the 2005 and beyond 3.6 and 3.8 engines... did they have any type of oiling implements that were not present in the 2002-2004 3.6 engines?

Bump to Loren. I am also curious as to 1) are there changes to the M97 that make this modification unnecessary and 2) if not, can this kit be installed on the M97?

Cheers,

From the 997 Technik book...

"The 911 Carrera engine employs a mechanical vacuum pump instead of a conventional sucking jet pump to provide the vacuum for the brake booster. This pump is driven in tandem configuration together with the oil extraction pump of the right cylinder head by the exhaust camshaft of the right cylinder bank.

This design enables a high and constant level of vacuum supply and subsequent effective brake boost even when the most unfavorable underlying conditions apply, e.g. low external air pressure at high altitudes, and in highly dynamic driving involving a high proportion of full-load operation, e.g. on race tracks."

post-1-1236460432_thumb.pngpost-1-1236460444.png

Only X51 engines.

thx Loren,

Cheers,

"The 911 Carrera engine employs a mechanical vacuum pump instead of a conventional sucking jet pump to provide the vacuum for the brake booster. This pump is driven in tandem configuration together with the oil extraction pump of the right cylinder head by the exhaust camshaft of the right cylinder bank.

This design enables a high and constant level of vacuum supply and subsequent effective brake boost even when the most unfavorable underlying conditions apply, e.g. low external air pressure at high altitudes, and in highly dynamic driving involving a high proportion of full-load operation, e.g. on race tracks."

Thank you for the reply. I now understand that there is a different pump used on the M97 vs. M96 and that it should provided superior vacuum for brake boost, but what does this mean for the oiling system. Can a secondary return line, similar to the PMNA part for the M96, be installed on the M97?

It appears that this revised "tandem pump" makes use of the old M96 pump impossible, but is there a way to add a similar return line? Is this already built into the head/valve cover?

Cheers

• Admin

Only X51 engines.

thx Loren,

Cheers,

Thank you for the reply. I now understand that there is a different pump used on the M97 vs. M96 and that it should provided superior vacuum for brake boost, but what does this mean for the oiling system. Can a secondary return line, similar to the PMNA part for the M96, be installed on the M97?

It appears that this revised "tandem pump" makes use of the old M96 pump impossible, but is there a way to add a similar return line? Is this already built into the head/valve cover?

Cheers

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking.

Here is what Porsche has to say about the oil system changes for the 997 series.

"Oil supply/oil level measurement The oil supply system as a whole has been adopted from the predecessor model. A change applies in the area of oil level measurement. Following on from positive experiences with electrical oil level measurement and a changeover in measuring habits away from manual measurement via the oil dipstick to electrical oil level measurement, the new 3.6 and 3.8 litre engines do not have an oil dipstick.

In order to speed up the process of measuring the oil level in certain operating states and in the interests of measuring convenience, map compensation has been introduced. Previously, all of the engine oil had to return to the oil pan after the engine was shut off before the oil level could be measured. To enable accurate measurement of the oil level, the necessary time required to achieve this state was ensured by means of a waiting time for oil level measurement, determined according to the oil temperature and the length of time the engine has been off.

With map compensation, the actual measured oil level in the oil pan is compensated to take account of the oil temperature and the length of time the engine has been off. The oil that has not yet returned to the oil pan is electronically calculated and duly added, and the real oil level is displayed as quickly as possible in the instrument cluster. This results in a substantial reduction in measuring times compared with the previous system"

• 1 month later...
did you complete the x51 oil pump install? Pictures and detils of the maching of the vavle cover please

Thanks, David

I want to do this mod on my 02 3.6

the heads on the 3.6 allowed for better flow of oil around the engine.... if you haven't done so already you should install the X-51 oil pan and you should be ok.