Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

400 hp from a 997.1 C4S: What's the cheapest way?

I want more powa from my beloved 2006 997 C4S. I want to hit 400 hp. What's the cheapest combo to do this, or is there a one stop shop to get to 400+?

I keep hearing about a mystical "chip" that is suppose to do this. It's this a myth or is it real? Has anyone used a "chip" or am I just dreaming?

And if not a chip, then what? Exhaust modification? Air filter? SC? Turbo? CAI?

Edited by nastinupe1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no "one stop" mod that will get you 50HP. If there was everyone would buy it :D

A chip + exhaust + headers + air box + Plenum may get you 25HP. But even that is highly dubious and expensive.

The car will run better and be more fun to drive though :rolleyes:

For the price of super or turbo charging your car you could just buy a Turbo....

Just my 2 cents. Maybe just get a Turbo where HP gains are relatively easy. Or get the new S.

Maybe others in the forum will have a different view.

Good luck!!

Edited by phillipj

I want more powa from my beloved 2006 997 C4S. I want to hit 400 hp. What's the cheapest combo to do this, or is there a one stop shop to get to 400+?

I keep hearing about a mystical "chip" that is suppose to do this. It's this a myth or is it real? Has anyone used a "chip" or am I just dreaming?

And if not a chip, then what? Exhaust modification? Air filter? SC? Turbo? CAI?

355 ain't enough? It's more than enough to scare the stuffing outta ME! But then there's the '09 S and its 385 bhp. . .

How about doing a power/weight ratio calcuation and start a lightening regimen that would get the lbs per hp down to the equivalent of a 400 bhp Carrera S?

Hello guys,

I'm about to buy a 997 4s (355HP) from a friend. The car is amazing from all aspects but it's not faster than my modded mk5 GTI (350HP, 450NM and 1500KG). From what I've read in a hurry there are 2 possibilities :

- Intake + chip (the guy added the OEM sport exhaust system option when he bought the car - XLF code...don't know if this helps)

- Supercharger or turbocharger (here the consensus seem to be with TPC and VF-Engineering, both being around 12.000$)

Now, for the beginning I'd like to go with the first option but don't know the results. Most tuners state 20-30HP and 20-30NM increase with software only. K&N also states 20HP with their intake system (seems a little too much here though). Where do you think I could reach with a good intake and software with the mention of the already added sport exaust option ? Can you also recommend a good aftermarket filter ?

There are endless discussions on this board regarding your post. Here is my 2 cents

Chasing HP with a non-turbo Porsche can be very expensive and addicting. Many of us have gone through this and can attest to the large amounts of money we have spent.(ie wasted) You will never have the fastest Porsche. If you are will to dish out the coin then just get a turbo. HP is easy with a Turbo.

Granted the car will be quicker with the chip and X-51 goodies. But you will not get the HP claims of the manufacturers.

I had a 996 and had every mod on it (chip, exhaust, plenum, air box, headers etc) One day at a stop light I(foolishly) drag raced a New modded Honda civic and he beat me. I knew then that the chase for HP was pointless for a straight line race.

There are lots of 996 turbos out there for sale with well over 600 hp. If that is want then save yourself some money and get one.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

All the best

Phillipj

Thanks Phillip. Problem is, I've found this car that has only 20.000km (about 13000 miles) and the guy sells it for 85.000E while the price of purchase was 132.000E (the car has almost every possible option on it). The guy also added the Rinspeed body kit and 20" rims. I'm not doing drag races but rather prefer mountain roads or circuits. If a supercharger will get me to 500Hp, this would be more than enough for me. I'm buying this car mostly for the great difference in price and the looks and if I can add some power it would be nice ! The old 996 has an uglier interior and besides, in my country I can't find to many for sale so I have to buy one from Germany and the taxes when bringing the car in my country would be around 20.000E !

I was asking my brother about the cost of the

TPC supercharger and because he was one of the first, he

said about $8,000 dollars. TPC might be worth

a call and you will need a local shop to

put it in. Most of the work invloves

adding the center radiator for cooling

the supercharger.

Paul

What about reliability with these superchargers. I've been in the turbo world until now so I don't know anything about superchargers but what thrills me the most is the lack of lag ! Any other downsides ?

Also...are there any other mods needed besides this supercharger kit (like rods, pistons...) ? How will the Tiptronic or deal with 500HP ?

Edited by fuscobal

My car is a MY05 997C2S TIP and it handled the TPC SC kit well. I already had the center radiator, so I did not need that. Car was a daily driver and is a rocket - over 500hp and 400+ TQ at crank. TIP was ok, but first 2 gears are useless - car is soooo fast. However, I'm looking to trade up to a 997TT and had to de-mod my car. TPC SC kit is for sale - $7,000. Professional installation is recommended - around $3k + any parts needed.

Hi;

I have considered all options for performance. (I don't like turbo, and superchargers/ chips void your warranty.)

I really prefer both the sound and response of naturally aspirated engines.

I have a 2008 997S and have been very successful with HP/ performance gains by adding the following: 1)Fabspeed headers/ mufflers, 2)X-51 Carbon Fiber Airbox with new X-51 throttle body, 3)BMC air filters.

You can do all of this for about $5K if you do the install yourself.

I have not dyno'ed the changes but can guarantee you will be satisfied with the "seat of the pants" test. I have road tested by comparing to the new 997-2 (385HP) and smoked the new 997 in both 1/4 mile and track time.

0-60 times are 3.9 sec., 1/4 mile 12.2@116mph. (This is pretty darn close to GT3 specs.)

This would be my recommendation for HP/ Performance enhancements.

Wayne

That's a nice thing to hear Waynew. I wonder how would EVOMS do against the X51 airfilter since I've got nice results with EVOMS on my MK5 GTI. Also...this car already has a factory exhaust (code XLF) that costed extra at the purchase of the car. I don't know what's the difference between this one and the usual one that normally comes with the car and would like to know if aftermarket header will improve this one also. As for the software I'll probably be using Superchips or Revo since a friend of mine i their dealer !

• 2 months later...
Hi;

I have considered all options for performance. (I don't like turbo, and superchargers/ chips void your warranty.)

I have a 2008 997S and have been very successful with HP/ performance gains by adding the following: 1)Fabspeed headers/ mufflers, 2)X-51 Carbon Fiber Airbox with new X-51 throttle body, 3)BMC air filters.

I have not dyno'ed the changes but can guarantee you will be satisfied with the "seat of the pants" test. I have road tested by comparing to the new 997-2 (385HP) and smoked the new 997 in both 1/4 mile and track time.

0-60 times are 3.9 sec., 1/4 mile 12.2@116mph. (This is pretty darn close to GT3 specs.)

Wayne

Didn't Road & Track or Car & Driver get a 3.9 0-60 Time on the 2005 997 Carrera S?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?ar...p;page_number=8

Hi;

Wayne

Thanks for your input Wanye. I would love to see your dyno's. Also, did you do a "before" dyno when your car was stock?

Thanks,

Johnny

Hi;

Wayne

Wayne...how did you mount the X51 throttle body to the non X51 intake manifold??

Dave

Yes, Road & Track Tested a stock 2005 997S and reported 0-60 time of 3.9 sec., but the 1/4 mile was about 12.8 @ 110 as I recall.

I have not dyno'd my car but my track time comparison is better and the acceleration differences are significant as follows:

Stock 997S

0-60 best time = 4.1

1/4 mile best time = 12.9 @ 111.9

Modified 997S

0-60 best time = 3.9

1/4 mile best time 12.2 @116

To answer the question about the X - 51 throttle body, the base attachment is exactly the same as a stock 997S TB, so no modifications are required. The intake is larger. You can use a stock TB with the X-51 air box, but it requires a "bushing" at the rubber to TB connection.

Wayne

Yes, Road & Track Tested a stock 2005 997S and reported 0-60 time of 3.9 sec., but the 1/4 mile was about 12.8 @ 110 as I recall.

I have not dyno'd my car but my track time comparison is better and the acceleration differences are significant as follows:

Stock 997S

0-60 best time = 4.1

Modified 997S

0-60 best time = 3.9

To answer the question about the X - 51 throttle body, the base attachment is exactly the same as a stock 997S TB, so no modifications are required. The intake is larger. You can use a stock TB with the X-51 air box, but it requires a "bushing" at the rubber to TB connection.

Wayne

Wayne could you post a pic of the throttle body connected to the intake...I have been told countless times that it would not fit the stock intake distributor and a few times it will fit. It's not that I don't believe you I just want to show it to the naysayers.

Dave

Edited by Dave07997S

<_<

My car is a MY05 997C2S TIP and it handled the TPC SC kit well. I already had the center radiator, so I did not need that. Car was a daily driver and is a rocket - over 500hp and 400+ TQ at crank. TIP was ok, but first 2 gears are useless - car is soooo fast. However, I'm looking to trade up to a 997TT and had to de-mod my car. TPC SC kit is for sale - $7,000. Professional installation is recommended - around $3k + any parts needed.

Hi Summoboy, many say the TPC SC makes a constant high pitch. Do you have that experience ?

Thanks !

Stock 997S

0-60 best time = 4.1

Modified 997S

0-60 best time = 3.9

Wayne

Wayne could you post a pic of the throttle body connected to the intake...I have been told countless times that it would not fit the stock intake distributor and a few times it will fit. It's not that I don't believe you I just want to show it to the naysayers.

Dave

I have a friend with an 05 997 S. He is putting the X 51 throttle body on and was told by his tuner he has to replace the manifolds as well because of the difference in diameter.

I would like to see a picture too!! Is it that it will fit the stock manifold but will work better with the X 51 manifold?

Thanks!

Edited by phillipj