Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Advice: Boxster track day car

Hey all.

First post here; I am looking into a Boxster as a track day/fun weekend car. I would like to start with something I can drive to the track and eventually build it into a full "blown" track car. After researching these cars (and a gazillion others) I have really enjoyed my findings. Not to mention after driving a GT3 the other day I am totally hooked on the idea of a Porsche. So to my question, should I start off with a regular Boxster or start off with a S?

Knowing myself, I like to upgrade constantly. I have approached this a couple of ways. If I went with a regular Boxster, I would like to find one super cheap and then start building up from there. (I.e. blown engine/transmission) If I did this route, I have read the chassis would need some strengthening to handle the 3.6L I would install. Also a new transmission would be in order and bigger brakes.

Being that the S already has the better transmission, brakes, suspension, engine, etc; would I be saving myself the headache? That would be more money upfront but would it be better money spent?

Cheers and (early) Merry Christmas.

-Will

Edit: Almost forgot about suspension!

I'd suggest another route

Start with driver training in a car the school provides. Find out if you really like the sport.

Once you know how to drive a racecar and that racing is something you really want to do, start visiting various events and find the crowd of owner/drivers you want to be a part of. Find out the requirements of the class of car and the tracks (for example. Boxster Spec class would not allow a 3.2 litre engine as in the S) they race. Once you know the rules, then buy a car with the route to a class competitive car well thought out because you've read the rules and talked to other owners.

My '99 base 2.5 was always a better car than I was a driver. I think I even had more fun in it that I now do in my S. Is the S superior in a technical sense? Yes. But that isn't all that matters.

I'd suggest another route

Start with driver training in a car the school provides. Find out if you really like the sport.

Once you know how to drive a racecar and that racing is something you really want to do, start visiting various events and find the crowd of owner/drivers you want to be a part of. Find out the requirements of the class of car and the tracks (for example. Boxster Spec class would not allow a 3.2 litre engine as in the S) they race. Once you know the rules, then buy a car with the route to a class competitive car well thought out because you've read the rules and talked to other owners.

My '99 base 2.5 was always a better car than I was a driver. I think I even had more fun in it that I now do in my S. Is the S superior in a technical sense? Yes. But that isn't all that matters.

I guess I should address a couple of points. I have been to a few HPDE's in my Volvo S60R. Great fun and I can't wait to hit the track again. Currently running in intermediate class but I no longer have a car to track. Hence the reason I am looking around. I am debating between the Boxster, S2000, Solstice, or mabye an older 911. Since all of these cars can be found under $15k.

I am not sure if I intend to race open wheel. Who knows, maybe eventually. Good to keep in mind though.

Yeah, kinda what Mike said. Any Porsche makes a good track car. Figure out your goals first and get the car that best fits those goals. If HPDEs for kicks and grins are all you need, any car will do. Spend your first year in a stock car on street tires and really learn the sport. If you think Boxster spec racing is in your future a 97-99 2.5L is the only car. If doing time trials, the most competitive car class in your area is where the action is. Get one of those. Right now there is no established class for a 3.6L Boxster so they will probably drop you in with the fully prepared and modified race cars (A pretty tough crowd to run with).

Have fun. Drive safe.

Though I did the exact opposite, I would get the S2000. It's a better track car. I have a Boxster because I love the sounds it makes and the way it looks. I have also always wanted a Red Porsche, but the S2000 is a better car for what you want to do. After 1 autocross and a track day in the Boxster, I bought another Subaru STI to use on the track and keep the Boxster for it's beautiful sounds.

I've been (ab)using my non-S Boxster for several years now, and I'd say the non-S is faster in many ways. First, the weight makes it a better platform. Being lighter, I was able to win the S1 class at the local PCA autocross events against a VERY talented husband-wife team in an S. The weight was really the deciding factor. Also, on the big track, my times with a stock Boxster were only about a half second off the S of another senior instructor.

Since then, I've bumped up the motor to a 3.4, done a PSS9, Eibach bars, and R888 tires. Those improvements have taken about 5 seconds off my lap times. Once I get the stiffer springs and put a roll cage in it, I should be able to pull another couple of seconds. These few changes, and I'm a LOT faster than the S. I had a guy in an M5 trying to catch me a few months ago on the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point. It was futile. :lol:

The only regret I have is not having a 6 speed. With the better gearing of the 6 speed, I think I could get more acceleration above 80 m.p.h. where 3rd gear is better in the 6 speed.

My brakes are the stock system with EBC Yellowstuff or Pagid Orange, and high temperature brake fluid, and I don't have stopping issues. I did cook the stock Ate Typ 200 (or Super Blue) fluid. I tried the GT3 scoops and they helped, but I still cooked the fluid. Now, with GS610, I'm able to brake hard all day long.

-Michael

Edited by savowood

• 3 weeks later...
I guess I should address a couple of points. I have been to a few HPDE's in my Volvo S60R. Great fun and I can't wait to hit the track again. Currently running in intermediate class but I no longer have a car to track. Hence the reason I am looking around. I am debating between the Boxster, S2000, Solstice, or mabye an older 911. Since all of these cars can be found under $15k.

I am not sure if I intend to race open wheel. Who knows, maybe eventually. Good to keep in mind though.

Boxster S is an awesome car to race stock, but there's not a whole lot of room left to improve it, the engine compartment is too cramped to do much, and the other improvements are so small as to not be worth bumping yourself out of stock class to make them. If you want to tinker, add a turbo, etc, you might want to consider another car. Miatas and corvettes are always popular for that ;) But I think you'd be hard pressed to find a car as fun as a Boxster S with so little effort required to make it competitive :)