Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wheel key help

I was in the process of removing my wheel using the wheel key (anti-theft wheel nut) and I ended up stripping the key itself. Short of having to drive 3 and a half hours to the closets Porsche dealer, is there anyone that can offer some assistance in helping me resolve my problem? Either having an 'extra' key on hand that I could buy or offer an alternative solution to get the bolts out?

I am the second owner of this car and I guess the first owner decided to throw away the key number so I can't call Porsche and re-order another key.

I've included a picture that may help.

2000 Porsche 996 with 18" inch factory rims.

post-1-1230334194_thumb.png

Thanks.

Ken

• Admin

That seems pretty trashed.

Do you have the key number? Look in your maintenance book or your option tag under the front hood.

If not just stop at a dealer and have them try locking key sockets until they find the right one (about . The they can order a key socket for you.

Ouch.

I lost my lug key once. The dealer had a set, and he tried them one at a time until he found the one that fit. A new one was something like $45.

If you don't mind tearing up your lug bolts, craftsman has something called a Bolt-Out set that can handle up to 19mm. Just an idea.

First of all from the pic, it looks like you have a crack in the casing just under the 3'oclock nub. Maybe that is why you stripped it out. Personally,I would try to rig a flat piece of metal ( aka screwdriver) that has been filed down to fit snuggly between the bottom of the nub at 3 o"clock and the top of the nub at 9 o"clock (to set up a counter clockwise removal process) Try to get it crammed in as tight as possible. Then saw off the screwdriver handle, leaving the cylindrical part of the srewdriver). Somehow attach this to a fast drill or drill hammer, or an airgun and give it a real powerful short burst to see if it will loosen up. Only drawback might be that you would break it off or damage it so that no key would fit in the future. But any good machine shop or auto shop should be able to get it off with their tools that they have if you do wreck it. Or you could call the porsche dealer and get them to mail you all the key that look like it and just return the ones you dont need ( knowing Porsche dealers, you'll pay for all those up front. You may also call a local tire dealer in your area and ask them what they do when their customers do not have their key and they need to take off the tire. Just sitting around here on a cold night, sick of TV with nothing to do but read my RennTech. Hope it helps!

I appreciate the help with this. I checked for the key number card and I did not find one. I am the second owner so I'm sure the original owner discarded the info.

I checked the option panel under the hood and there the only number I could not account for as an option code is: 680-3839.

I checked all the local Autozones, Checkers, Pepboys, etc in the area and none of them could help. I also checked the local tire places and none have the keys. Pepboys could remove them, but they wanted $39.95 per tire to remove the key nut. I don't agree with extortion. My best course of action is probably to find any way possible to remove the bolts and then replace them with a new set and key.

Looks like I'm taking a trip to Albuquerque or Tucson to get new locks and a couple of keys.

All of this started because I wanted to repaint my calipers. I recently replaced my rear tires and the tire place tightened the bolts just a little to tight. When I tried to remove the lock bolt, I stripped my key.

So the lesson learned here is have them hand tighten the bolts and put the air tools to the side.

Ken

Those key lugs are not very strong at all, I hear of them cracking all the time. I had to get one too when I first got the car, the only way is to go down to the dealer if you do not have the key number. I suggest now that you got a new one, you should write down the number somewhere so you can order it thru' the mail in future if need to.

• Moderators

If you use the key carefully and together with the proper torque specifications ( not daily and with pneumatic tools ) no problem may occur. Misuse is mostly the cause of the failure.