Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

JVC KD-AVX44 - Thoughts and suggestions?

Hi, all:

I've been searching around for a replacement for the stereo in my '03 Boxster but didn't want to do a double-din conversion. I'm settling, I think, on the JVC KD-AVX44 - it's a very feature-packed unit that will nicely complement the Boxster's dash (Image below)

Questions:

1) Will any single-din unit fit in place of the factory CDR-23 unit?

2) Any suggestions on an amp to replace the one in the front trunk? My Boxster has the Bose subwoofer.

For the time being, I'd like to keep the drivers all stock and just get the stereo and amp dealt with.

Thanks in advance for your replies. If anyone actually HAS this unit installed, your comments would be appreciated.

-DJ

post-36052-1231224231_thumb.png

Edited by sd_boxster

I don't know about that exact unit but from my experience JVC has been very unreliable. I put a JVC system in another car and within 6 months I had to have the head unit replaced 3 times. Fortunately I bought it at Circuit City and had bought the extended warranty/replacement plan they were offering at the time. The 4th one it started giving me problems within the first few hours and I bought an Alpine to replace it.

Hopefully this upgraded model is also an upgrade in quality for you.

Hi, all:

I've been searching around for a replacement for the stereo in my '03 Boxster but didn't want to do a double-din conversion. I'm settling, I think, on the JVC KD-AVX44 - it's a very feature-packed unit that will nicely complement the Boxster's dash (Image below)

Questions:

1) Will any single-din unit fit in place of the factory CDR-23 unit?

2) Any suggestions on an amp to replace the one in the front trunk? My Boxster has the Bose subwoofer.

For the time being, I'd like to keep the drivers all stock and just get the stereo and amp dealt with.

Thanks in advance for your replies. If anyone actually HAS this unit installed, your comments would be appreciated.

-DJ

post-36052-1231224231_thumb.png

I looked at a very similar JVC online. It had fairly good reviews, but all of the people who had bought it noted that it tended to get very hot.

I have installed the AVX22 unit in my 2001 base which is the same except this does not have bluetooth integration. I have installed the GT3 console delete and I was looking for a 1 din unit also. After using it for about 8 months I can tell you it is a great unit. The sound is great (with stock speakers and amp) its features are countless and the screen is fantastic. It even has an orange theme that almost matches the gauges color at night. Also the proximity sensor enhances the WOW factor. I burned a dvd with song videos and it works great. The unit has not given me any kind of trouble. But there is one little thing that bothers me. It is very dificult to adjust the volume on the unit when you drive so you have to be with the remote in your hand all the time. Apart from this I believe it is a great stereo and I would recommend it to anybody.

Hope I have helped you a little.

I've got a JVC KD-SDH707 in my Galant, which I've had now for almost three years. Full aluminum front, Germanic look, bells and whistles including motorised face angle adjustment etc. I have read that JVCs were not very reliable, and kept my fingers crossed, simply because my unit was a top-line one a few years earlier, costing something like NZ$800 (US$464 at current rates), which I got "shop-soiled" for only NZ$200, complete with box and manual.

I've been very happy with it, very flexible system. What I can perhaps say though is that my unit's build quality (even the feel of the buttons when you press them, or turning the volume) appears to be much better than the typical JVC units now out for as cheap as NZ$300 new. Mine may have been expensive but over-engineered.

The unit you like I believe is currently the top line model thereabouts, so if they didn't scrimp to get the price too low, then it may turn out to be OK. Simply judging the book by the cover (if they take THAT much effort into what the cover looks and feels like), the internals may be equally good. Cheaper JVCs just don't look right even.