Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

internal cabin leak, alarm & electrical problems

Hi,

I have a RHD 2001 Boxster S, 3.2, 6 speed with 60k miles on it.

Over the last 4/5 months, problems have developed, and I have listed them below in a timed sequence.

Sept 08 - Car alarm, started giving intermittent beep as if a door was left open (occassionally). This problem got more and more frequent, resulting in the alarm going off every 20 mins or so (neighbours not happy!). I called Porsche in Ireland first, and then Porsche in the UK, and they told me that it was probably the alarm tilt switch. I disconnected this, but problem remained, so I had to disconnect all alarm speakers.

Oct 08 - I noticed, moisture building up inside the car (condensation on the windows internally) and I checked the floor etc. It felt slightly damp. I checked the door drains and they are clear.

Nov 08 - Car alarm is still flashing (sirens disconnected), and I noticed that the carpet behind the seats is also damp. I checked the drains in the area behind the seats, as mentioned in the forums, and they are clear. I have also checked in the front boot for water, and it is all clear.

Dec 08 - Car alarm is still flashing (sirens disconnected). The electric windows began to act up, and when I would start the engine, the drivers window would open. i believe this may be due to the moisture in the car, and once I have been in the car for a while and driving , the problem stopped.

Jan 09 - Car alarm is still flashing (sirens disconnected). When the car door open button is pushed on the key, the passenger window drops approx 1/2" as if the car door is being opened. This only closes when the car alarm is re-activated. The central locking button on the dash has also stopped working.

I have checked the electrical unit under the seat and no water appears to be present, (I did not remove the seat, merely reached under the seat to check it).

All drains in the doors and behind the seats are still clear. I have checked again in the front boot for water, and it is all clear.

I'm hoping somebody can help me with this or if anybody has any suggestions, I look forward to trying them.

Regards

• Moderators

If the carpet behind the seat is wet, there must be a leak, no doubt about that. Do a more intensive check again. The tilt sensor can only turned off with a PIWIS menu PAS-disable tilt sensor, without additional alarm problems like sirens going off etc. The tilt sensor is probably partial filled with rainwater, there is a conversion kit available with the sensor build under the seat. Remove and check also the electric connectors build in the A-pillars, and comming out the doors, for corrosion.

Generally if carpest are getting wet its due to the drains for cabrio top being clogged or damage to the inner liner of top cavity, partially open top and inspect drains for being clogged, and all the gray black material going to drains for tears and rips. What normally happens is the water enters the alarm control unit under drivers seat and and damages the electronics and will require replacement. There may be previous posts on this issue under top section ect.... svansyoc

this being a right hand drive not sure if the alarm control unit is under the left or right seat, left hand drive is under left seat.

Edited by svansyoc

If the carpet behind the seat is wet, there must be a leak, no doubt about that. Do a more intensive check again. The tilt sensor can only turned off with a PIWIS menu PAS-disable tilt sensor, without additional alarm problems like sirens going off etc. The tilt sensor is probably partial filled with rainwater, there is a conversion kit available with the sensor build under the seat. Remove and check also the electric connectors build in the A-pillars, and comming out the doors, for corrosion.

Hi, thanks for that, I will be back at the car on Friday, so, i 'll check it out again and let you know.

Generally if carpest are getting wet its due to the drains for cabrio top being clogged or damage to the inner liner of top cavity, partially open top and inspect drains for being clogged, and all the gray black material going to drains for tears and rips. What normally happens is the water enters the alarm control unit under drivers seat and and damages the electronics and will require replacement. There may be previous posts on this issue under top section ect.... svansyoc

this being a right hand drive not sure if the alarm control unit is under the left or right seat, left hand drive is under left seat.

ill keep trying to find the leak, thanks, ill keep you updated

hi all,

Well I spent the weekend trying and testing all I could. So, the current status after all my efforts is that the central locking starting working again for a day but has stopped again. The passenger window keeps jumping into the door open Position even when I try lock the car and the cabin light stays on. So, I'm guessing that the suggestion that it might be a micro switch in the door could be the problem. So, next thing I need to do next weekend is try and confirm this. Does anyone have any suggestions what is my best way to check it?

I really appreciate all the previous comments that I got from you, and I can say it's been the most informative information that I have received regarding these issues. Thanks again to all and I look forward to any additional comments!

:D

Hi - i'm in Dublin also. If you need a spare pair of hands let me know, I've done one or two things with the boxster and don't mind helping out. I have a voltmeter handy too, which might be useful for fixing the alarm issue ?

Hi - i'm in Dublin also. If you need a spare pair of hands let me know, I've done one or two things with the boxster and don't mind helping out. I have a voltmeter handy too, which might be useful for fixing the alarm issue ?

Hi thanks . . . I'll let you know how it goes after the weekend, and if it is still giving trouble? Do you use Porsche in Belgard or do you know of a good mechanic who knows about the Boxster?

Hi thanks . . . I'll let you know how it goes after the weekend, and if it is still giving trouble? Do you use Porsche in Belgard or do you know of a good mechanic who knows about the Boxster?

grand no problem - I'll send a PM of good mechanics in the area. We will have to organise an Irish boxster meet in the next few months !

That is very nice of ondafly. If U do meet up with ondafly, first thing I would do is swap the alarm module with his,,,

The more I look at this problem, the more Im convinced it is the passenger door sensor switch. Now all I have to do is find it, work out how to test it, and finally replace it!

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate comments!

Thanks

:)

grand no problem - I'll send a PM of good mechanics in the area. We will have to organise an Irish boxster meet in the next few months !

sounds like a good idea!

• Moderators

If the connectors in the A-pillars are corrosion free, the window motor/control box unit in the relevant door, is the most plausible cause. Do yourself a favor, save money and time, and (let) read out the control box with a descent diagnostic tool.

• 3 weeks later...
If the connectors in the A-pillars are corrosion free, the window motor/control box unit in the relevant door, is the most plausible cause. Do yourself a favor, save money and time, and (let) read out the control box with a descent diagnostic tool.

Hi. and thanks for the comments. I have not been on line for a few weeks, and I gotta go to UAE for the next 2 weeks. But when I get back I'm gonna try the control box. I'll let you know what happens.

thanks again