Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

correct wheel sizes for a 1999 C2 cab

Hi again;

This 99 C2 Cab has nice wheels, OEM Carrera S 19" 295/30 in the rear and 235/35 in the front.

However, I get ABS engaging very quickly, the tires in a few spots have actually rubbed up against the wheel wells....

So, these may not be appropriate for this car. Too bad, I like them.

Anyway, as a novice, can

-offsets somehow cure my problem (I don't really know what offsets are, other than to guess they space different size wheels out differently based on sizing) I doubt this could cure my problem as there simply doesn't seem to be enough room in the cars wheel wells for these wheels/tires.

-even lower profile tires cure this?? Again, I doubt it, as there isn't much tire on the rim as it is at 30 & 35.

-if these are not going to work, what sizes (and offsets?) should I be looking for that ARE appropriate in 18" ?

Any help would be much appreciated. I do have these wheels listed on the trade section of this site.

Thanks

Tom

post-37830-1231432794_thumb.jpg

I don't think 19"wheels are recommended for '99 narrow body cars. Your tire sizes are not a problem, but with the added size of the wheels you may have a problem. I have the same size tires on 18" wheels with no problems. That being said, it's hard to answer you question without knowing your offsets front and rear. I researched the crap out of this topic before buying my new wheels and tires a year ago. Good luck.

Will

I think your combo would be fine IF you had the correct aftermarket suspension components to prevent the rubbing. I have 19" Champion Motorsport RG5 wheels with rear Pirelli P-Zero 295/30s and front Michelin Pilot Sport 235/35s. But also have the Bilstein PSS9s coilovers. What will also help a lot is to roll your fenders.

Lot of good info in this thread too: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/142...eels-996-a.html

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing!

post-34919-1231476866.jpg

Porsche tunes their suspensions based on certain criteria. This tuning provides max performance. The 99 an 2000 were spec'd with a max of 18 inch wheels 8x18 in the front, and 10x18 for the rear. It sounds to me that when swuitched to 19 inch wheels, someonme tried to keep the same circumfrance and overall diameter as the 18 inch configuration by using the tires stated. Unfortuneatley it did not happen and the overall set are actually larger. Hence the problem with the rubbing. I think your only alternative to use the 19's is to switch to a smaller tire.

Some interesting read.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0505ec_...ires/index.html

This following calculator should help you in getting the correct tire sze. Use the 18 inch setup as stock (rear 265/35/18, front 225/40/18), and then try and find a similar overall size in 19.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Hi

Thanks, this car just got the coilover Bilsteins, so that is part of the suspension, but I just get the feeling that if they are rubbing the edges of the wells, they are too big. I agree, they are too big...

Too bad, I like the look. So, off to try to find a trade...

As a postscript, the Porsche Annapolis said that no matter what I do, that 19" 997 wheels are not right for a 99 c2 and that they will foul the ABS system (how they do that, I really have no idea, but I have felt the ABS come on way to early when I brake).

So, it seems that 19" wheels are not meant for this car, maybe some people can get them to work, and I do have new Bilstein coilover springs, but again I don't see how that would help, as this seems to be trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.

Hi

Thanks, this car just got the coilover Bilsteins, so that is part of the suspension, but I just get the feeling that if they are rubbing the edges of the wells, they are too big. I agree, they are too big...

Too bad, I like the look. So, off to try to find a trade...

Hi again;

This 99 C2 Cab has nice wheels, OEM Carrera S 19" 295/30 in the rear and 235/35 in the front.

However, I get ABS engaging very quickly, the tires in a few spots have actually rubbed up against the wheel wells....

So, these may not be appropriate for this car. Too bad, I like them.

Anyway, as a novice, can

-offsets somehow cure my problem (I don't really know what offsets are, other than to guess they space different size wheels out differently based on sizing) I doubt this could cure my problem as there simply doesn't seem to be enough room in the cars wheel wells for these wheels/tires.

-even lower profile tires cure this?? Again, I doubt it, as there isn't much tire on the rim as it is at 30 & 35.

-if these are not going to work, what sizes (and offsets?) should I be looking for that ARE appropriate in 18" ?

Any help would be much appreciated. I do have these wheels listed on the trade section of this site.

Thanks

Tom

post-37830-1231432794_thumb.jpg

i have the same car as you, but i am running ® 265/35/19

that may help if your rear is scratching.

265 also wont bog down the C2 as much as the 295s.

i have the same fronts as you on lowered coilovers, dont have any problems unless full lock turning.

19"s have always been about the look only.

if your #1 concern is handling, braking, accerlation, you're much better off on 18"s setup.