Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The manual actually says this?

In several places I noticed that my Boxster manual states that you should not let the car idle to warm up, but you should basically start it and just drive it easy for the first 5 minutes.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

I'd love to get some feedback on this. That goes against everything I have ever learned about engines. Am I missing something here?

I warm mine up for only a minute or so, I think the manual want folks to refrain for the normal warm up some folks do.

You know, start the car turn on the heat and then wait 5 mins. to enter the car.

I am sure that woul dbe fine in fair weather. But what about in 20 and 30 degree winter weather like we have right now in the Baltimore area? I woul dhave to think that you would want the engine to warm up at least somewhat before you go putting it under load?????

This is a good subject. There was a HUGE discussion on another board on the same subject. A known "engine builder" stated that the car should be warmed up to 180 to prevent slipped sleeves and other failures :o I let it warm up for a while just like you do. Maybe they are worried about the enrichment circut washing down the cyls. when it's just sitting there.

The Boxster has an oil/coolant heat exchanger that uses the coolant to warm the oil on a cold engine. When it reaches about 190 degrees, the process is reversed with the oil dissipating heat to the coolant.

Be that as it may, I still idle for a minute or two on cold mornings.

• Moderators

The instructions we have got toward cold start/drive:

Start the engine - close the door - put the belt on - start driving MAX. RPM 3.000 till the OIL TEMP. reach 190°F (85°C) = approx. 6 miles (10 Km.) of driving - engine RPM can increased up till max.

I believe Porsche provides this instruction to reduce emissions. Driving the car will warm it up faster, thus bringing the emissions controls up to operating temperatures faster. Also, a cold idlimg engine is spewing essentially untreated exhaust without doing any useful work (people moving) so the overall trip is more polluting. I can't think of any reason why it would be good for the engine to drive right away. It's probably not too bad to drive it right away as long as your careful with load and engine speed, but I'd think idling for a minute or so is probably better. You at least have to wait until the windsheild defrosts, right?

Blue2000s has hit the nail on the head - All manufactures reccommend start and drive without the need to warm up as this improves MPG and controlls emissions, however from the perspective of what is good for the engine and wear it is best to warm the engine a little to get the oil around everywhere before load is put on the engine.

Emissions are big business and we are all told about the impending doom of global warming - Personally I think we need to increse the emissions so we can speed up global warming - then we wont have to worry about cold starts and i can have the roof down everyday

Blue2000s has hit the nail on the head - All manufactures reccommend start and drive without the need to warm up as this improves MPG and controlls emissions, however from the perspective of what is good for the engine and wear it is best to warm the engine a little to get the oil around everywhere before load is put on the engine.

Emissions are big business and we are all told about the impending doom of global warming - Personally I think we need to increse the emissions so we can speed up global warming - then we wont have to worry about cold starts and i can have the roof down everyday

With the 12" of snow and the -8 we are expecting all I can say is Here, Here.

Oil manufacturers are also being forced to create formulations that contribute to longer life of the catalytic converters at the expense of better lubrication. So it's not unreasonable to assume this is the

motivation behind the instructions.

Cold weather here is often in the low -20's to -30 C, I start her up, scrape off the windows and drive off under slight throttle applications. In weather this cold you could let it idle for 30 minutes and it would never reach 190F.

The car idling without a driver is also illegal in UK - called "Quitting" However no one is interested in this law and i see very regularly in cold weather those that stop at a shop to get a paper in the morning get out of their car and leave it idling whilst they make their purchase - must say if i was into car theft this is the way i would do it, even those with expensive motors do this

Car manufacturers are 'into the law' though - thats why Toyota for example have a specific manual for Germany - only difference - reference to idling

I think while we all may 'ignore' the law different countrys frown more upon certain digressions

The car idling without a driver is also illegal in UK - called "Quitting" However no one is interested in this law and i see very regularly in cold weather those that stop at a shop to get a paper in the morning get out of their car and leave it idling whilst they make their purchase - must say if i was into car theft this is the way i would do it, even those with expensive motors do this

Surely thats only on public roads, and for safety reasons above anything else.