Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Extended Warranty

2002 911 C2 35,000 miles

I'm thinking about purchasing an extended warranty. Does anyone have any experience with Carchex/Royal Administrative Services? They offer a 4 year /40,000 mile warranty for approx. $3,500.

I'm planning on keeping the car for quite a while so this is for peace of mind.

Any other companies that anyone would recommend?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I was wondering the same thing. I found a few in a search but have no idea if they are legit or bad companies. Most companys wont even warranty Porsches and some will not insure 911s.

I found these which say they will. No idea if they are for real tho. Hoping someone else had purchased an extended warranty that used it. All this talk about engine failures got me a little worried and I rather be insured.

http://www.autowarrantybroker.com/

http://www.autoprotection.com/warranties/Porsche/

Edited by Reset

Actually I was wondering the same thing. I found a few in a search but have no idea if they are legit or bad companies. Most companys wont even warranty Porsches and some will not insure 911s.

I found these which say they will. No idea if they are for real tho. Hoping someone else had purchased an extended warranty that used it. All this talk about engine failures got me a little worried and I rather be insured.

http://www.autowarrantybroker.com/

http://www.autoprotection.com/warranties/Porsche/

I just got off the phone with my Porsche service place (Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills, CA.) I bought my car used and got an extended warranty through them. I can't recall the company, because the paperwork is in the car, at their place. It'ss a 4 year/till 70,000 miles one, and I think it was around 2700.00. It covers everything on my 2002 Carrera Cab.

I was just notified that the car needs a new tranny, RMS and some other things that brings the bill to $15K. It's gonna cost me $100.00.

I would say that it was worth it.

Just make sure you read the fine print. My credit union offered me a Route 66 Extended Warranty when I financed my car. I think it was 3 years or 30,000 miles for $1500. It had a $100 deductible and covered everything except normal wear parts. However, when I started reading through the fine print it had a line that said, "Total repairs or reimbursement not to exceed $3500."

$3500 doesn't go far on a Porsche engine. Might as well keep my $1500 in the bank as guaranteed money towards repairs versus gambling on getting an extra $2,000 out of the deal - especially since I drive almost 20k a year.

Just make sure you read the fine print. My credit union offered me a Route 66 Extended Warranty when I financed my car. I think it was 3 years or 30,000 miles for $1500. It had a $100 deductible and covered everything except normal wear parts. However, when I started reading through the fine print it had a line that said, "Total repairs or reimbursement not to exceed $3500."

$3500 doesn't go far on a Porsche engine. Might as well keep my $1500 in the bank as guaranteed money towards repairs versus gambling on getting an extra $2,000 out of the deal - especially since I drive almost 20k a year.

Agree read the fine print, lot of these companies require proof of service and by an authorized servicer. So from that persepctive the DYI is out.

Try Century Warranty Services, my car required several repairs including RMS and they covered them. 100.00 deductable also... 866-732-8503

Thanks for the info, i called Century who said they dont sell contracts directly. Gave me the number of an Audi and VW dealer in my area who they sell to. I would have to go to their dealers if i want them to pay the shop directly. Otherwise if I go to another shop, I would pay out of pocket and they reimburse me.

Im going to call my local Porsche dealer and see what they do for extended warranty.

Easy Care. That's the name I was trying to remember. I highly recommend them.

I have the same deal as fdorn.

OK. Here's an update, which may alert you to some issues. EasyCare is now offering me 3 options to fix my transmission.

First, get a refurb, and contribute $6000.00 towards it. Yikes!

Second, send it to a local (LA) transmission place, get it refurbished...and my dealer says there isn't a good one here, or

Third, send it to a good one, no matter where.

My Dealer will have the final say on QC.

I went for the last option. In the fine print, because the warranty company is looking at so much money, it says they can put a refurbished tranny in, and not a new one.

Though you might want to be alerted to this stuff.

Edited by Larold

• 2 months later...

Hi Larold,

I just signed up for Easycare because it seemed like the best option. I went with TotalCare.

So I am interested to see how things turned out with your tranny?

Did they put in a factory refurbished unit? If so, that seems ok. A junk yard one wouldn't be too cool.

PRH

Easy Care. That's the name I was trying to remember. I highly recommend them.

I have the same deal as fdorn.

OK. Here's an update, which may alert you to some issues. EasyCare is now offering me 3 options to fix my transmission.

First, get a refurb, and contribute $6000.00 towards it. Yikes!

Second, send it to a local (LA) transmission place, get it refurbished...and my dealer says there isn't a good one here, or

Third, send it to a good one, no matter where.

My Dealer will have the final say on QC.

I went for the last option. In the fine print, because the warranty company is looking at so much money, it says they can put a refurbished tranny in, and not a new one.

Though you might want to be alerted to this stuff.

Just go to a reputable Porsche dealer and get a warranty thru them. That's what I did.

Yea, that's what I just did. But it sounds like that same warranty was giving Larold a hard time.

I would be very interested to know of more stories that will let me know what to expect from Easycare when I have an IMS, RMS, or Intermix problem.

I've always done my own oil changes since I got the car a few years ago, and I hope that doesn't give them the opportunity to shaft me. The oil is so incredibly simple to change on the cars, it's easier to do myself than take the car in.

• 3 weeks later...

Dumb question - How do I get the easycare warranty through a dealer for a car that I am planning to buy from a private party?

Do I just call up a P-dealership and ask for one?

Also, the car that I am planning to buy is a 2000 Carrera Cab 3.4 with 67K miles - and plan to keep it for a long time (at least till 150K miles). I was thinking about the best strategy - get a 30K warranty and renew it 3 times or get the max possible length and maybe renew it once.

Lots of questions - thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

May be late now, but here is requested information anyway.

The Porsche service manager recommended EasyCare and CNA. He gave me an EasyCare brouchure, I sent an email, and in the email there was their phone #: 888-315-1263.

Interestingly, the EasyCare rep told me that the Porsche dealership I take my car to does not sell EasyCare, so I cannot buy it directly at from the Porsche dealership. Having the service manager recommend an extended warranty different than the one their financeing office sells (CNA), may be a good sign.

I have checked BBB and they have a good rating. The quote I got was $2650 for 48K / 48 months.

The Porsche service manager recommended EasyCare and CNA. He gave me an EasyCare brouchure, I sent an email, and in the email there was their phone #: 888-315-1263.

Interestingly, the EasyCare rep told me that the Porsche dealership I take my car to does not sell EasyCare, so I cannot buy it directly at from the Porsche dealership. Having the service manager recommend an extended warranty different than the one their financeing office sells (CNA), may be a good sign.

I have checked BBB and they have a good rating. The quote I got was $2650 for 48K / 48 months.

Cat:

Whatever else you do, be very sure to keep accurate, complete records of any maintenance and be sure to follow, at a minimum, the factory recommended major and minor service requirements at the proper intervals.

If you do that, and if you have a reputable warranty company, you have a good shot at having spent your money wisely. That second "if" is a big one. :P

Regards, Maurice.

• 5 weeks later...

I got a quote today from Barrier Porsche in Bellevue, WA for an extended warranty (thru Fidelity) on my '03 996 C2 Tip (blk/blk) w/ 53K miles (my current one expires 9/15) and it goes like this:

Warranty Coverage Range and $USD

1/12000 = $3674

2/24000 = $4330

3/36000 = $6138

4/48000 = $7432

5/60000 = $8792

Are these prices out of line? Any suggestions?

many thanks!

Sandy

Edited by sandyda

This is a much more reasonable rate

Thank you, phillipj! I thought the same thing regarding the 5 yr.

I will likely go with a 2 year policy (whichever policy company I go with), and just got a quote from Easy Care for the "Stated Care" level policy:

$250 deductable

1 yr = $2601

2 yr = 3398

3 yr = 3851

4 ry = 5149

deckman: You might want to ask Easy Care about the different levels of policies that they offer, and they will send you a copy of it (Total Care looks to be their 'top of the line' policy). It looked like the 'lower' levels did cover the Engine, Tranny and Seals...from what I could see anyway. Hope that helps...I too am looking for good coverage that I don;t have to may more than I have to for.