Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Will the new 997.2 Remote Fob work on a 996?

I've read that a 996 can be programed to accept a signal from Carrera GT fob and that a 997 and Carrera GT have the same electronics. The new 997.2 fob apparently works on the 997.1, so can a 997.2 fob update be possible? How about for the 3 button Targa?

Edited by aliberty

• Admin

:welcome:

TSB 1/05 9662 Design Key -- dated 7-29-05 specifically states "Not for 911 Cabriolet and Targa (996)."

Did you know -- Contributing Members can view TSBs online, use the Retail Price Search feature, and access the Contributors Only Forum. They can send attachments with PMs, image storage limits are raised for all Contributing Members, RennTech.org email addresses are available and a personal Blog.

Contributions help defer the cost of running this site and providing this information to you. No one has to contribute but many members do. Without contributions this site would either have to go subscription or cease to exist.

TSB 1/05 9662 Design Key -- dated 7-29-05 specifically states "Not for 911 Cabriolet and Targa (996)."
Isn't that because the Design Key fob only has 2 buttons and a Cabriolet and Targa have 3? But my question is can the 997.2 Targa fob be mated to the 996 Targa?

Arthur

On the beach in Malibu

2002 996 Targa<1989 C4<1981 SC<1966 912

:renntech:

Edited by aliberty

• Admin
Isn't that because the Design Key fob only has 2 buttons and a Cabriolet and Targa have 3? But my question is can the 997.2 Targa fob be mated to the 996 Targa?

Arthur

On the beach in Malibu

http://www.renntech.org/forums/style_emoti...t/renntech1.gif

No - they are different immobilizers.

I was told by the dealer that a 996 Coupe fob can be mated to a 996 Targa if you give up a button (The dealer can program the second button to do what you like - just had that done), so if the Design Key fob will work with a 996 Coupe wouldn't it work with a 996 Targa (I remember reading that in your forum)? Since the Design Key and the 997.2 fob have the same electronics, doesn't that mean that it would also mate irrespective of the different immobilizer?

Arthur

On the beach in Malibu

• Admin
I was told by the dealer that a 996 Coupe fob can be mated to a 996 Targa if you give up a button (The dealer can program the second button to do what you like - just had that done), so if the Design Key fob will work with a 996 Coupe wouldn't it work with a 996 Targa (I remember reading that in your forum)? Since the Design Key and the 997.2 fob have the same electronics, doesn't that mean that it would also mate irrespective of the different immobilizer?

Arthur

On the beach in Malibu

You can try if you want - let us know if it works.

Richard - he wants to use a 997-2 Targa key.

You can try if you want - let us know if it works.

Richard - he wants to use a 997-2 Targa key.

My local dealer's service department confirms that at least one customer has a 997.2 two button remote fob working on a 996 coupe. Since they did not program it, they were unable to confirm if it was operating on the integrated 315Mhz transmitter or if the electronics were imported from the integrated transmitter from a Carrera GT design fob which they had previously mated for the customer. Since one of my two fobs is not transmitting, I will pick up a 3 button 997.2 and try to get my Targa matted to it. If it doesn't work, it will be a snappy looking spare key.

Arthur

2002 996 Targa<1989 C4<1981 SC<1966 912 (All black on black)