Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche Lowering Springs?

Loren,

Regarding my original thought of a new GT3 nose on my 2002 C2 Coupe, the PCA tech committee also advised against it. However, they did recommend Porsche lowering springs mentioned in the excerpt below:

"On a stock 2002, I would lower the car to Euro specs before I would do

the bodywork. That will make a bigger difference in looks, and for normal

driving, and we know it will be balanced & stable at speed, since Porsche

tested it and runs it that way. For a street car I use Porsche's lowering

springs, which are available at FVD USA, TechArt (GermanTech), or Champion

Porsche, all in your area."

I only use my car for street (i.e. no track). I haven't heard of Porsche lowering springs before, only the H&R. Any idea how these are different? Also, how do the PLS compare to the ROW030 or the MOW030?

I don't want to screw up my suspension, but I would like a lower tighter look and better stability.

Thanks!

• Admin

Well, I think your best bet is the RoW M030 suspension. This is the slightly lower sport suspension used in Europe and elsewhere. The RoW M030 will give you a Porsche tuned suspension that includes slightly lower springs, different shocks and different sway bars (if you have the standard US suspension). With this suspension your car will be about 20 mm lower in the front and 10 mm lower in the rear... and the handling difference will be phenomenal over stock.

There is a full write up in a PCA's Panorama article 996 Standard and Sport Suspensions Analyzed

Edited by Loren

Guest 02 Blue C02

Loren,

I think you might mean 20mm lower in the front and 10mm lower in the rear..

You wrote:

"..With this suspension your car will be about 10 mm lower in the front and 20 mm lower in the rear... and the handling difference will be phenomenal over stock."

Gary

jpg_blue6.jpg

Myersville, MD

18" Turbo Look Wheels (removed)

18" Carrera Wheels (installed)

Pirelli PZero N4

PSE (no switch)

Twin Exhaust Tips

ROW M030 (purchased pending installation)

I don't want to screw up my suspension, but I would like a lower tighter look and better stability.

In that case, stay away from lowering springs.

Unless you use these with the proper shocks.

Not to stir up any trouble,

but I installed H&R springs on my 99 and the results are pretty clear.

proper ride height. Less float under load. Less dive on the brakes. Less understeer.

The ride (on Michigan roads) did not change at all. Seriously. Not a bit. not until the car was heavy in a turn did I notice.

No rubbing, no weirdness, no nothing.

I'm not sure why this setup gets such a bad rap for street cars. I race a 125cc kart on weekends, so I know a stiff setup when I see one. The car is great for the road and occasional track adventure. A small step better than stock with looks to match.

Coilovers would be on my car if I didn't live here. But that's because I'm interested in corner weights and camber adjustments for track days and mountain roads. But since I'm not so concerned with ultimate perfomace for the road, why bother?

You could add the non-sport RoW springs to the std US suspension and get a slight amount (+-10mm) of lowering. I don't think I would change out the shocks for this mild amount of lowering and the valving would be the same for a std suspension 996 US or RoW. But keep in mind, the variance from Porsche is +- 10mm with all their suspensions so the lowering will vary somewhat. FWIW my 996 sat relatively low with the stock std suspension and changing to RoW 030 dropped it about 15mm in the front only.

Also I think the RoW springs made a lot more of a difference on older versions of the 911. This may be why they suggest this as an option.