Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Schnell STS initial impressions and install comments

I just installed the Schnell short-throw shifter in my '03 986. I have read mixed reviews on the Schnell, and mixed reviews in general on short-throw shifters in Boxsters, but I've missed the STS I installed in my Tiburon and the price was right.

As far as installation goes, the instructions are adequate... if you need a reminder on how to install a Boxster shifter. If this is your first time (like it was mine), they're about 80% complete. Pointers like how to remove the flex rods from the shifter base are completely missing, and other items (like the amount of time it will take to remove the factory bushings) are grossly understated. Nevertheless, the instructions were enough to keep me in the right direction, and the kit was complete.

Words of caution: I had to pull out the cup from one of the new bushings and remove the washer behind it in order to get enough clearance to install both snap rings. Also, you do not need to remove the small plastic cube from the ball joint on the side of the factory shifter. It won't fit on the Schnell, so leave it on the old shifter. Third, when you read the DIY's for the STS installation, marking the position of the shift cables is this mysterious event that sounds really important, but isn't explained worth a darn in the Schnell instructions. It's obvious once you start disassembly what everyone is talking about. Just use a Sharpie on each cable to note how far it extends into the cable clip.

After I put everything back together, I took the Boxster for a spin, and I am delighted with the results. The shifts are REALLY tight... the difference is amazing. If you enjoy really short gear throws and solid engagement, this is a great addition.

This is my first Boxster mod. My last car, a Hyundai Tiburon, was my sanity project - whenever I was feeling stressed out, I'd go turn wrenches for a bit, and wound up with a blown, intercooled Tib making 230 at the wheels. I look forward to seeing what I can do with my Boxster!

Though I have a B&M short shift, I agree this is a "must do" modification. When I drive cars with the stock shifter, I am amazed that the driver can be comfortable with the long throws. For those who have had trouble, either it's not your cup of tea or the install was not done correctly. Even my 18 year old son (who did some autocrossing last year in the Box) found it to be comfortable and engaging.

I just installed the Schnell short-throw shifter in my '03 986. I have read mixed reviews on the Schnell, and mixed reviews in general on short-throw shifters in Boxsters, but I've missed the STS I installed in my Tiburon and the price was right.

As far as installation goes, the instructions are adequate... if you need a reminder on how to install a Boxster shifter. If this is your first time (like it was mine), they're about 80% complete. Pointers like how to remove the flex rods from the shifter base are completely missing, and other items (like the amount of time it will take to remove the factory bushings) are grossly understated. Nevertheless, the instructions were enough to keep me in the right direction, and the kit was complete.

Words of caution: I had to pull out the cup from one of the new bushings and remove the washer behind it in order to get enough clearance to install both snap rings. Also, you do not need to remove the small plastic cube from the ball joint on the side of the factory shifter. It won't fit on the Schnell, so leave it on the old shifter. Third, when you read the DIY's for the STS installation, marking the position of the shift cables is this mysterious event that sounds really important, but isn't explained worth a darn in the Schnell instructions. It's obvious once you start disassembly what everyone is talking about. Just use a Sharpie on each cable to note how far it extends into the cable clip.

After I put everything back together, I took the Boxster for a spin, and I am delighted with the results. The shifts are REALLY tight... the difference is amazing. If you enjoy really short gear throws and solid engagement, this is a great addition.

This is my first Boxster mod. My last car, a Hyundai Tiburon, was my sanity project - whenever I was feeling stressed out, I'd go turn wrenches for a bit, and wound up with a blown, intercooled Tib making 230 at the wheels. I look forward to seeing what I can do with my Boxster!

I installed a Schnell STS about a month ago in my '01 S and I agree with all of your comments. I drove a Miata for 11 years and was used to a tight, precise shifter. The Schnell kit definitely tightened up the shifts and they are VERY positive. I really notice the increase in effort on cold mornings so I am looking forward to warmer weather.

Would I install it again based on how it performs? I'm about 50/50 on that one.

Alan