Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Insurance prices vary by geographic region... For example in San Diego, CA the best bang for my buck seems to be AAA. Yet the same car and coverage in Los angeles is substantially more.

Another thing to consider is representation should you require it. Some of these fly-by-night companies will not give a darn about you and thus if an accident happens and someone decided to sue you... Your in trouble.

You are definitely going to want some one who will fight tooth and nail, & who is also not afraid to go to trial for you... In San Diego Allstate has a rep for not giving in, no matter what! I can 't tell you how many times I have testified as a medical expert and seen things like this. People are getting shafted by these insurance companies left and right. (My suggestion is to call a personal injury layer friend or two and ask them: If you had to pick one...Which insurance company in your geographic region puts up the biggest fight in court? and which one has the top notch lawyers, that always seem to give you the most trouble in court.)

*Also consider a high limit uninsured motorist and Med-Pay coverage as well. These are invalualbe! Don't let your insurance rep talk you out of them!

The ultimate in coverage is a high dollar umbrella policy .. .

Paul

Dr.P has it right. You really need to ask around in your community. USAA just doubled out rates here in Vegas (16 years with them and NO accidents/tickets). Switched over to GEICO and saved 1/2 (right back to what USAA originally charged me). But especially insuring a PCar you really need to stick with the big compnaies and away from the fly by nights.

PHilosophically, I refuse to ever use GEICO. They campaigned for years to outlaw radar detectors, at the same time they were penalizing their customers heavily for receiving speeding tickets. If that kind of conflict of interest doesn't bother you, then it's not an issue I guess.

Whoa there. Sounds like somebody gets quite a few tickets? Wouldn't you penalize YOUR customers for speeding tickets? There is a high correlation b/t speeding and claims. Just don't speed foolishly. Remeber the old addage.....you break the rules, you pay the fines.

Whoa there.  Sounds like somebody gets quite a few tickets?  Wouldn't you penalize YOUR customers for speeding tickets?  There is a high correlation b/t speeding and claims.  Just don't speed foolishly.  Remeber the old addage.....you break the rules, you pay the fines.

The tickets are not the issue at all. None of the other major insurance companies campaigned actively in state legislatures to ban radar detectors, as did GEICO. Again, if that kind of political activity doesn't bother you, send them your money. I'll send my money elsewhere.

Andy

(No tickets in 5 years!)

No tix in five years. Then how does this pertain to you? You won't be charged higher premiums then. I buy my insurance based on claims service, customer service, and most importantly....LOW PREMIUMS! Not their political stance on an issue or the campaigning that is done for/against it. I am willing to bet that are for radar detectors being illegal b/c there has been research done that shows that in states where they are outlawed that instances of speed related accidents is lower.

I think you let too much get to you. But then again that is your choice and that is what makes this country so great--our voice and choice.

Cheers,

:cheers:

Didn't GEICO financially support a company making laser guns for detecting speeding and subsidize the distribution of the guns to police departments? The proof that reducing velocity reduces accidents is shaky. However, if they can get a speeding ticket issued on more of their customers they can raise rates and increase profits.

I recently priced coverage with USAA and Farmer's and the cost was similar. I stayed with Farmer's. I like having a local agent.

I think simply measuring velocity is a poor way to maintain safety on our roads. I am not convinced that I am unsafe travelling 70 on a deserted highway with speed limit posted 65 in daylight. I do think the person travelling 55 in the passing lane on the same road with traffic moving at 65-70 is a danger, just like the person who passes (not speeding) thru an intersection after the light has turned red. There are many factors in accidents, speed is only one of them. It is just the easiest to objectify, enforce, and thus generate revenue.

I am not paranoid, I just frustrated that common sense and education are no part of the road safety equation.

BTW, I apologize for helping hijack this thread. LVDell, please feel free to PM me if you would like to continue our discussion. I am interested in hearing your opinion and always open to new ideas.

I 2nd Costco AMEX.... I've had Progressive (in NY), then Geico (in CA) and Costco AMEX not only beat both prices, but had more converage! My 2002 C2 Cab was only another $1000 annually.... and that's in So.Cal. Could be that it's my 3rd vehicle on the policy, who knows.

ps... you can add your Home Policy and save even more.

• 1 month later...

I have had USAA since I turned 16. The thing with USAA is that they regularly return part of your premium every year once they see how claims have gone. Some years its has been almost 1/2 the annual premium. They had good claims service too the one time I had to use them. I just added my C4 Cab, and the increase was much less than I had imagined.

With respect to the comments about insurers that will fight to the end, this is not always the case. You don't want an insurer that will fight to the end when you are going to lose. The last thing that you want to do is spend a week or two at trial in a case where you are at fault and the insurer is refusing to settle. Insurers that do this end up paying more in claims and defense costs which will translate into higher rates. I agree about asking plainiffs' attorneys in your area.

I am insured with Mercury and live on the Peninsular in the Bay Area south of San Francisco. I have a Carrera 2 (1999) and a Nissan Maxima (2000). Here is what I pay:

Limits: 100,000/300,000, uninsured 100,000/300,000, deductible 500

Nissan $ 350.00 per 6 months

Porsche $ 389.00 per 6 months

Total per year for 2 cars : $1,481.80

no tickets , no accidents,

HarryR