Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Heater controls for '05 987

Hey all sorry to start another new topic I confess my name is Richard and I am a newbie. OK that out of the way I have an '05 987 bought it used the heater controls specifially the fan speed switch and temp switch the "black coating" is comming off and looks shabby. I'd like to replace without buying a whole new unit, have scoured the forums here and elsewhere and can't figure out if that's possible. Also I downloaded and looked through several katalogs and can only find a part number for the entire unit, no part number for the individual switches. Any suggestions?

There is a DIY solution for those who are out of warranty. First remove the unit. To do this follow the panel removal instructions which are posted on this board for the removal of the radio. Once the two side panels are off each side, it is simple to press the clips and slide the a/c control unit out. Now you must carefully tape the unit for painting. Tape and mask the entire unit, except for the two control switches,( temp on the left and fan on the right.) Now cut a small piece of tape just big enough to cover that part of the switch which has the translucent "temp" lettering on it. Repeat for the fan logo on the other switch. If you skip this step, you will not only loose the lettering, but when the dash lights are on, there will be no lights on these switches. You can now paint the switches with a can of flat black enamel spray. Here you want to apply several VERY light coats, as you don't want the paint to build up and cause the switch to stick. That's about it..let dry overnight, and reinstall.