Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gauge Rings and Door Sill installed loving it

Did you have to cut the 987 sill's down or did you just leave the gap? Where did you get the Gauge Rings from, Suncoast is out of stock till March....

They look great by the way!

I left the gap, indeed i didn't know the gap will exist. I bought both items from Suncoast if they don't have them in stock, i could be the one who bought the last set. You may check out the following link and they are going for the same price.

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/197886%...nt%20Rings.aspx

Steven

Edited by ssflai

Just installed gauge rings and door sills into my 02 Boxster. Loving it and can't wait winter is done to drive her again. Spring, please come !

:cheers:

Steven

hello neighbour,

your box is looking good.. same here. could not wait for nicer weather to come. same question though, where did you purchase them?

thank u,

t2-BxtrS

Just installed gauge rings and door sills into my 02 Boxster. Loving it and can't wait winter is done to drive her again. Spring, please come !

:cheers:

Steven

hello neighbour,

your box is looking good.. same here. could not wait for nicer weather to come. same question though, where did you purchase them?

thank u,

t2-BxtrS

There you go, neighbour.

I bought both items from Suncoast Porsche. According to gristy, the gauge rings are out of stock now from Suncoast Porsche, you may check out Vertexauto at

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/197886%...nt%20Rings.aspx

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant...986trimupgrades

Steve

Edited by ssflai

Wow there are other Toronto folk suffering through a great winter for Boxsters ... :)

I bought the same door sills from Suncoast in the fall but never got around to installing them before it got cold. I'm waiting until it warms up a bit.

What is the gap? I hadn't read about that.

Wow there are other Toronto folk suffering through a great winter for Boxsters ... :)

I bought the same door sills from Suncoast in the fall but never got around to installing them before it got cold. I'm waiting until it warms up a bit.

What is the gap? I hadn't read about that.

I was going to wait till the weather warms up a bit but couldn't resist the temptation, so, I used a hair dryer to warm up the panel before putting it on, this way, I can at least enjoy by watching it once in a while :P The arrow is pointing at the gap and if I weren't the one who put it on, I will never notice the gap exist and I will assume thats the way it is.

post-28601-1235612341_thumb.jpg

Edited by ssflai

Thanks, I will watch for that when I install them in a few weeks.

I'm getting anxious for good weather. Tried to start the Boxster last weekend and no luck, the battery was dead in spite of running it every few weeks but I think my battery is original so to be expected I guess. I bought a good cheap battery maintainer this week from Canadian Tire ($49.99 CAN) which charged it but it won't hold a charge longer than 24 hours.

I'm off to Pfaff tomorrow at lunch to buy a new battery ... just in case it gets nice soon.

Looks nice. Installed a pair here as well.

2882vme.jpg

Regards

I can't help but wonder what's with the fuzzy bathmat seat covers!!!!!!!! The sill plates are great but I wouldn't preserve the leather seats for the next owner.

By the way, for the infamous GAP, would be an easy fill with black gasket sealant which is a silicone product.

Those are factory sheepskins off a 911, no bathmat here. ;) That black gets mighty hot in the summer. What is this gap everybodt talks about? There is no gap on our sills. I did remove/ pull up the door seals and plastic housings for the installation though.

Regards

Those are factory sheepskins off a 911, no bathmat here. ;) That black gets mighty hot in the summer. What is this gap everybodt talks about? There is no gap on our sills. I did remove/ pull up the door seals and plastic housings for the installation though.

Regards

How do you remove / pull up the door seals and plastic housings ? will it create damages and/or unable to put them back ?

The door seals just pull up. There is a bit of adhesive , but the seal can be pushed back down when finished. That plastic housing on the sill(holds switches/pulls) to the driver's side is held in by some allen screws. Remove the plugs to access them. For the passenger side, remove umbrella/rubber liner and torx screws are revealed. You'll notice when all of this is removed there is a "V" etched on the metal sill to center the door sills.

You should be able to readily pull all of this off without any damages and have a perfect installation

Regards

The door seals just pull up. There is a bit of adhesive , but the seal can be pushed back down when finished. That plastic housing on the sill(holds switches/pulls) to the driver's side is held in by some allen screws. Remove the plugs to access them. For the passenger side, remove umbrella/rubber liner and torx screws are revealed. You'll notice when all of this is removed there is a "V" etched on the metal sill to center the door sills.

You should be able to readily pull all of this off without any damages and have a perfect installation

Regards

Thanks.

I guess this is kinda late now since the sills are pretty "glued". I did pushed all the way in and i think the gap is approximately 1-2 mm and is not very noticeable and like I said, if i wasn't the one who installed them, i will never notice it.

Edited by ssflai

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah! The word "dinged" comes to mind.

I bought two things: 986DoorSills (the ones pictured in this chain) for $99.95 and the Centre Console Storage Shelf for $29.95. This cost me 151.01 USD from Suncoast which my credit card converted and charged me $166.31 CAN. The Canadian dollar was still high at the time I guess.

Then UPS billed me $59.09 CAN for "Import Charges".

So it's not Suncoast's fault but I don't believe it's much cheaper to buy from Suncoast than one of the local Porsche dealers. I went to Downtown Porsche in Toronto and was so put off by the attitude of the parts guy that I decided to try Suncoast. I was told by the Parts guy that he would not sell me these door sills, since they were meant for a 987 and it would ruin the authenticity of my Porsche 986. What an arrogant statement. Makes we mant to buy a GM !!! (well not really). :P

ekam,

Ok, what gives with the picture. :eek: You are down in your profile as Male but the picture doesn't look too male to me!

And the pictures you linked to are taken on the roof of the parking garage next to where I used work!

Dinged is not the right term, rob is more appropriate. I got charged by UPS approximately $90 for custom clearance charge. Besides the door sills, I have the Gauge Rings shipped at the same time. With all the costs, it is still cheaper than the local dealers in Toronto. Specially that AIG Porsche "Downtown Porsche" Arrogant, Incompetence and Greed Porsche. I will try all my best to stay away from them. I rate Pfaff Porsche is a better alternative.

ekam,

Ok, what gives with the picture. :eek: You are down in your profile as Male but the picture doesn't look too male to me!

And the pictures you linked to are taken on the roof of the parking garage next to where I used work!

Drag????

ekam,

What makes you assume that's me? :D

• 2 months later...