Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 driver window works but hard to close at times

My drivers side window on my 2000 996 works fine but at times the door is hard to close. The window doesn't seem to drop as much on the drivers side as it does on the passenger side when opening up the door from either the outside or inside of the car. I also noticed that I can push the window down with very little force from my hand and the window will travel about a 1/2 in before coming to a full stop. I have searched previous posts on how to remove the panel and will do this if necessary, but is there a possibility that this is not a regulator problem and instead some adjustment that I can perform. If possible can this adjustment be made from the bottom of the door without removing the panel? Thanks for you help.

Joe C.

My drivers side window on my 2000 996 works fine but at times the door is hard to close. The window doesn't seem to drop as much on the drivers side as it does on the passenger side when opening up the door from either the outside or inside of the car. I also noticed that I can push the window down with very little force from my hand and the window will travel about a 1/2 in before coming to a full stop. I have searched previous posts on how to remove the panel and will do this if necessary, but is there a possibility that this is not a regulator problem and instead some adjustment that I can perform. If possible can this adjustment be made from the bottom of the door without removing the panel? Thanks for you help.

Joe C.

Joe:

Although there are two types of adjustments that can be made through the access holes on the bottom horizontal surface of the door, the symptoms you describe point to a failing window regulator.

The fact that you get the same action whether you pull on the inside or the outside door handle, and the fact that you can push the window down 1/2 inch both point to a stretched or fraying cable, or to one of the plastic pieces through which the cable travels.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice, I'll start looking for that regulator. Any top choices where I might purchase one?

Thanks Joe C.

Joe:

Try board sponsor Sunset at the link near the top middle of the page, under "Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost". Also check the prices at AutohausAZ.com (free shipping and excellent service), Pelicanparts.com and AutoAtlanta.com.

Make sure you are aware of where to put the bump stop for your 996, as it can go in one of two positions. The wrong one will not allow the window to go down flush with the top of the door.

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice and everyone that spent the time to post instructions I can't thank you enough, I just finished putting in the regulator and everything works fine now. Had I not followed the advise and instructions it would have been a disaster I'm sure. The damaged regulator separated near the motor where a spring was compressed by two pieced of plastic, and like you said stretched the cable that caused my problem.

Other than two coolant reservoirs that leaked since 2000 , this is the only problem I have experienced in those 8 years.

Thanks to All

Joe C.

Maurice and everyone that spent the time to post instructions I can't thank you enough, I just finished putting in the regulator and everything works fine now. Had I not followed the advise and instructions it would have been a disaster I'm sure. The damaged regulator separated near the motor where a spring was compressed by two pieced of plastic, and like you said stretched the cable that caused my problem.

Other than two coolant reservoirs that leaked since 2000 , this is the only problem I have experienced in those 8 years.

Thanks to All

Joe C.

Joe:

Excellent outcome! Thanks for reporting back. That will help others diagnose similar symptoms in the future. :cheers:

Regards, Maurice.