Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Installation H&R Springs & Bilstein Sport Shocks

Well I decided to bring her down a bit, I have had a set of Gemballa Lowering Springs (made by H&R) in my garage for the last year. Gert helped me with the all the parts needed, I purchased Bilstein Sport Shocks, Euro rear bumpstops, also upgraded stabilizer bars. After looking at the factory stabilizer bar up front, I really didn't see much of a difference in the upgraded one, and it didn't look like a simple project to remove and install the new bar. So I passed on the stabilizer bars since Im really only looking for a lower look and slightly better handling on the track. Since the 996 only sees 1-2 track days per year I decided not to do the full PSS9's. The shocks were about $700 and I had the springs already $300. The stabilizer bars will go back to the dealer, so bumpstops were only $10. I started with the front since that was supposed to be the most difficult. I did one side on my own, but needed help on the other side, the difficult part is removing the strut while pushing down and avoiding the fender. This took two sets of hands. I have a air compressor so that came in very handy. Front was actually not that difficult, the rear was fun to say the least. You have to jack up the shock to line it up to fit the bolt at the bottom. Well that wasn't easy, of course once we figured out the secret the 2nd one was easier. All in all it was about a 5 hour project. I used the instructions from a guy over on the Rennlist board. They came in very handy. The ride is perfect height, not to low, I would say it lowered it about 3/4 of inch, and I think it will settle a little lower after more driving. As far as handling I noticed that it was slightly tighter around corners, and over bumps. Also I noticed that when I punch it, it didn't raise up the front end as much as it did before. I will get the full affect of the ride after Thunderhill on the 9th. OK here are some before & after pics...

Click pics for High Res Shots..

Before

4before.sized.jpg

After

1_G_001.sized.jpg

Before (front)

5before.sized.jpg

After (front)

2after.sized.jpg

Before (rear)

6before.sized.jpg

After (rear)

3after.sized.jpg

After

7after.sized.jpg

After

8_after.sized.jpg

1. Remove the shorud on the trunk with a torx screwdriver. t-20

37414491-db61-02000180-.jpg

2. Loosen the 18mm sway bar bolt that is in strut and remove

37414774-aac8-02000180-.jpg

3. Loosen and remove the nuts that connect abs wires and brake line so you can move the arm more up and down. You might have to take out the caliper off the hub.

37414657-d85a-02000180-R.jpg

4. remove the 3 13mm bolts from the top of the trunk that holds the strut to the body.

37414873-91ec-02000180-.jpg

5. Push down the arm and the strut will be in the wheel well.

37414954-1199-02000180-L.jpg

6. this is the hard part push down the strut and pull it towards you to pull out of the wheel well. Becareful not to hit your fender. You might need to remove the 18 mm blot that conects the cross arm in the front to the main A arm so the arm has more movement. I did not need to.

37415033-01b9-02000180-L.jpg

7. once cleared you can slide out the strut from the spindle assembly and prepare the new one.

37415126-af1e-02000180-L.jpg

8. Remove the 21mm nut on top of the strut. Becareful I used a impact air wrench and push your weight down so the spring dosenot pop up in your face. The stock spring are not that strong so you can do this. Pay attention to how it comes appart. Put all the necessary parts on the new strut( bumpstop washer housing) and assemeble back wards. The new springs are shorter so the assemble may not have any tension.

37415310-845a-02000180-.jpg

9. If your car has Xenon lights remove the little sensor nuts that is hook up to the A arm. This is in the driver side

37415416-246d-02000180-.jpg

37415493-a617-02000180-.jpg

37415650-f845-02000180-.jpg

All back together

37415839-2013-02000180-R.jpg

Rear

1. Remove the long 18mm bolt connecting the strut to the arm

37416071-9513-02000180-R.jpg

2. Disconnect both sides of the sway bar. 17mm open end and 15mm nut the bar should swing easy on the mounts.

37416286-e44d-02000180-R.jpg

37416367-ec6f-02000180-R.jpg

3.Use pry bar, screwdriver to force the shock of its mount.

4. Go in the car remove the pannel behind the rear seat. It has no clips. Or for the cab, lower the top so the lid is open, then release the two wires to lift the back of the top up, one wire on each side, you can then access the area where the top of the strut is

5. Remove the 3 15mm nuts to drop the strut. Once the strut is droped you can prepare the new one. It is similar to preparing the front. Use the new bump stops. The nut on top is 18MM.

37415998-598f-02000180-.jpg

6. install the strut back in the housing and don't tighten yet

7. place a jack under the shock to compress it so you can put it on the arm. It kind of hard. You need to be a little strong. Once on the arm the bolt wont align. Use a screw driver to lift up the shock just a little on the arm so you can push the bolt through. Once through assemble every thing back. In this pic I used spring compressors to tighten the springs down so we could get the bolt on

37416137-1b5f-02000180-R.jpg

37416224-4063-02000180-R.jpg

Old & New bumpstops

37416516-1fda-02000180-.jpg

Thats about it..

• 3 years later...

Your car looks great - I am also thinking about lowering with H&R springs (already purchased, not installed), but I read several posts on PCA that it is bad idea to go any lower than ROW M030 because of potential risk of hitting the oil pan/engine block. Have you had any issues? I believe the H&R quotes about an 1" lower all around versus the M030 are 20mm F/10mm R (which isn't much difference).

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
Your car looks great - I am also thinking about lowering with H&R springs (already purchased, not installed), but I read several posts on PCA that it is bad idea to go any lower than ROW M030 because of potential risk of hitting the oil pan/engine block. Have you had any issues? I believe the H&R quotes about an 1" lower all around versus the M030 are 20mm F/10mm R (which isn't much difference).

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

What size tires are you running in the rear? I am debating between 295s and 305s.

TDK

Well I decided to bring her down a bit, I have had a set of Gemballa Lowering Springs (made by H&R) in my garage for the last year. Gert helped me with the all the parts needed, I purchased Bilstein Sport Shocks, Euro rear bumpstops, also upgraded stabilizer bars. After looking at the factory stabilizer bar up front, I really didn't see much of a difference in the upgraded one, and it didn't look like a simple project to remove and install the new bar. So I passed on the stabilizer bars since Im really only looking for a lower look and slightly better handling on the track. Since the 996 only sees 1-2 track days per year I decided not to do the full PSS9's. The shocks were about $700 and I had the springs already $300. The stabilizer bars will go back to the dealer, so bumpstops were only $10. I started with the front since that was supposed to be the most difficult. I did one side on my own, but needed help on the other side, the difficult part is removing the strut while pushing down and avoiding the fender. This took two sets of hands. I have a air compressor so that came in very handy. Front was actually not that difficult, the rear was fun to say the least. You have to jack up the shock to line it up to fit the bolt at the bottom. Well that wasn't easy, of course once we figured out the secret the 2nd one was easier. All in all it was about a 5 hour project. I used the instructions from a guy over on the Rennlist board. They came in very handy. The ride is perfect height, not to low, I would say it lowered it about 3/4 of inch, and I think it will settle a little lower after more driving. As far as handling I noticed that it was slightly tighter around corners, and over bumps. Also I noticed that when I punch it, it didn't raise up the front end as much as it did before. I will get the full affect of the ride after Thunderhill on the 9th. OK here are some before & after pics...

Click pics for High Res Shots..

After

8_after.sized.jpg

Also, who did you pick up the front bumper from? It looks like one I saw at Precision and NR Auto. Looks very nice on your car. The whole package is very tasteful.

Regards... TDK