Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello guys-

I made these 2x2x1/4 inch square tubular steel bars with jack"pads" that fit my 996 stock jack mounts to the millimeter. The "pads" even have a male receptor to fit snug into the stock Porsche jack pad. The jack "pads" are 3/4 inch thick solid steel. That 3/4 inch dimension is important because it lowers the bar enough to clear any coolant lines or plastics that may be attatched to the undercarriage. One bar fits the front and the other fits the back. Now I can jack and support my car from any point along the bar. I painted them "speed yellow" and finished them with a Porsche decal from ebay.post-35646-1236390525_thumb.jpgpost-35646-1236390544_thumb.jpg post-35646-1236390561_thumb.jpg

Edited by waterboy

That is cool :clapping: How much to make another set? I would love 1

Steve

Steve, I used top quality steel from fresh stock and paid $180.00. The welder that I used charged me $85.00 an hour. It took him 1 and 1/2 hours to cut and weld all the pieces together. Paint and decals were $30.00. So the grand total was just over $300.00. It was a bit more than I planned, but it's a one time charge. My local Porsche dealer charges $120.00 an hour so about 2 and 1/2 hours at the Porsche dealer. These will enable me to do a bit more than basic maitenance, and I know for sure I will get more than 2 and 1/2 hours out of them. Hope that helped. Jim

Edited by waterboy

Sweet. :)

Would a set for front-to-back be usable?

I considered front to back but there were some connectors that would have made me drop the bar even lower. With the ones I made you need a 3 inch ground clearing jack. I would have needed to by a new set of jacks with lower ground clearance.

P.S. WAITING ON TRANS FLUID, AND FUEL FILTER. ACTION SHOT IN NEAR FUTURE!!!

Edited by waterboy

Steve

Steve, I used top quality steel from fresh stock and paid $180.00. The welder that I used chared me $85.00 an hour. It took him 1 and 1/2 hours to cut and weld all the pieces together. Paint and decals were $30.00. So the grand total was just over $300.00. It was a bit more than I planned, but it's a one time charge. My local Porsche dealer charges $120.00 an hour so about 2 and 1/2 hours at the Porsche dealer. These will enable me to do a bit more than basic maitenance, and I know for sure I will get more than 2 and 1/2 hours out of them. Hope that helped. Jim

I originally posted a question about the guage, I've since reliazed that it is included in the original post.

Do you mind sharing how, and with what material, you coated the pads (the black material)?

Tim.

Edited by tac27

Steve

Steve, I used top quality steel from fresh stock and paid $180.00. The welder that I used chared me $85.00 an hour. It took him 1 and 1/2 hours to cut and weld all the pieces together. Paint and decals were $30.00. So the grand total was just over $300.00. It was a bit more than I planned, but it's a one time charge. My local Porsche dealer charges $120.00 an hour so about 2 and 1/2 hours at the Porsche dealer. These will enable me to do a bit more than basic maitenance, and I know for sure I will get more than 2 and 1/2 hours out of them. Hope that helped. Jim

I originally posted a question about the guage, I've since reliazed that it is included in the original post.

Do you mind sharing how, and with what material, you coated the pads (the black material)?

Tim.

Looks like Rhino Liner or some other liner "paint". Looks like he also put the same on the bottom at the jacking points.

Steve

Steve, I used top quality steel from fresh stock and paid $180.00. The welder that I used charged me $85.00 an hour. It took him 1 and 1/2 hours to cut and weld all the pieces together. Paint and decals were $30.00. So the grand total was just over $300.00. It was a bit more than I planned, but it's a one time charge. My local Porsche dealer charges $120.00 an hour so about 2 and 1/2 hours at the Porsche dealer. These will enable me to do a bit more than basic maitenance, and I know for sure I will get more than 2 and 1/2 hours out of them. Hope that helped. Jim

Tim.

Looks like Rhino Liner or some other liner "paint". Looks like he also put the same on the bottom at the jacking points.

Tim- the top pad is spray on (rubberized) undercarriage coat, and the bottom is Home Depot grip tape. The top pad would work better with grip tape. From one use the undercarriage coating has already "stripped away". Jim Edited by waterboy

• 6 years later...

Not sure if the OP got the idea from porken or not but these resemble his Porsche lift bars. A google search for "porken lift bars" will provide some more information. Perhaps he can provide more information for you. I'm in no way affiliated with porken but do like the idea of lift bars a lot.