Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Jack It Up (follow up) Action Shots

Is there any trick to getting the second side up? It looks like you jack up the first side under one side of the bar, then place the jack stand. Then the opposite side bar would be lower or touching the ground. What's the process for jacking up the second side?

Like others said in your original post, it looks like they might be more effective in a front-to-back configuration instead of side-to-side. Now that you've used them, and knowing what you know now, would you still make the bars go side to side?

Is there any trick to getting the second side up? It looks like you jack up the first side under one side of the bar, then place the jack stand. Then the opposite side bar would be lower or touching the ground. What's the process for jacking up the second side?

Like others said in your original post, it looks like they might be more effective in a front-to-back configuration instead of side-to-side. Now that you've used them, and knowing what you know now, would you still make the bars go side to side?

I chocked the back wheels and jacked the entire front of the car first. I used two floor jacks and raised the front corners in equal increments. So the first two jacks stands were under the front and the rear tires were still on the ground. Then I jacked up the back also in equal increments. So the car went straight up and straight down. The car was never leaning at a sharp angle. I do believe that you are correct, if you raise from side to side you will create such an angle on the opposite side that it might be impossible to get your floor jack under. That is why I don't think bars from front to back would work. With these bars the car is jacked up in more of a LINEAR method than a twisting one. I attached this picture of just the front end supported and the back wheels are still on the ground. Hope this helped. Jim post-35646-1236522033_thumb.jpg

Edited by waterboy

Hey guys- These new bars work great. There are a few ways you could use them. Here is how I did it today.

post-35646-1236472045_thumb.jpgpost-35646-1236472065_thumb.jpgpost-35646-1236472081_thumb.jpgpost-35646-1236472112_thumb.jpgpost-35646-1236472154_thumb.jpg[atta

c

hment=16090:lift_007.jpg]post-35646-1236472171_thumb.jpg

This is a great idea that with a little work could be a very marketable product. The only issue I see is that you have to use two jacks (which most people don't have). Does it take two people as well? As others have said, I think front to back would be better and only require one jack. If this was your idea, congrats.

Will

Very good design Waterboy :clapping:

However, I like the idea of front to back. This way you only need to use one jack in the center o the bar. Raise the car side way high enough to put two jack stands right below the jack points on the car then repeat other side.

Anyway, you are still an inventor of this "bar jack" and people just took it and modify the design to fit their needs. May be you want to explore the front-to-back idea and patent your design before it is too late.

Good job!

Nghia

00 C2 Cab

Edited by nghiaho58

What a great idea. What did you use for the part on the pad that goes into the slot on the car?

The part that goes into the slot on the car is a piece of 1/4 inch thick solid steel that was welded to the pad.

Edited by waterboy

Nice job, but no, (and NO offense at all intended) it's not a new idea. These have been available from here:

http://www.asedeals.com/automotive_floor_jacks.html

for a while, $84 each, free shipping and is adjustable. Could be modified to work F-R or side/side, I would think. Regarding the F-R vs front or back, the same side is WAY more dangerous to you and the car. Too easy to roll out between the jack and the car, and destroy the side of your car, or you. Much harder to do that with F or R wheels down or that side already on jack stands.

post-28012-1236715673_thumb.jpg

• Admin
Nice job, but no, (and NO offense at all intended) it's not a new idea. These have been available from here:

for a while, $84 each, free shipping and is adjustable. Could be modified to work F-R or side/side, I would think. Regarding the F-R vs front or back, the same side is WAY more dangerous to you and the car. Too easy to roll out between the jack and the car, and destroy the side of your car, or you. Much harder to do that with F or R wheels down or that side already on jack stands.

$49.82 here

Is 38" long enough for F-F or R-R configuration??

I didn't notice that, but you are correct, 38" is way too narrow to reach. Stupid design! What car has any jack points that are only 38" apart unless you are on the frame from front to back? Perhaps under suspension mounting points, but that's about it.

$49.82 here

Loren go ahead order yourself a pair, and after you crush your subframe post your pictures!!!

• Admin

$49.82 here

Loren go ahead order yourself a pair, and after you crush your subframe post your pictures!!!

I just mentioned the lower price. I see no reason to insult me - or anyone else here.

I didn't notice that, but you are correct, 38" is way too narrow to reach. Stupid design! What car has any jack points that are only 38" apart unless you are on the frame from front to back? Perhaps under suspension mounting points, but that's about it.

Yea, I think it's meant for jacking up from the subframe. If it were to span between the left/right factory jacking points, it will need to be MUCH beefier to be strong enough to jack up from the middle of such a long beam.

Hey Waterboy, nice option. Instead of two jack I wonder if you could get on of those really shallow ones up that far under the car. I currently jack from one side and I really don't like it leaning so far onto the side. I have started jacking the rear of the car under one of the suspension mounts. Still it teeters as it is going up. Kind of scary.

I like waterboys design, and was not maligning it. It addresses many issues that occur when jacking up the whole car (mainly, if you use a jack on the jacking point, then you can't put a jackstand there), also, it distributes the load over a larger area than a jackstand would at the jack points, reducing deformation and damage. If there was a jack stud on the underside of the bar, centered, then possibly a long reach jack could be used from the side to lift the entire front or rear end evenly, which would be very handy. I only pointed out that I'd seen a similar device that looked like it could be used on multiple cars.

that looks a bit unsafe. What prevents the bar from rolling?

$49.82 here

I just mentioned the lower price. I see no reason to insult me - or anyone else here.

Loren,

You are by far the most helpful and knowledgeable guy I have ever encountered on an automotive message board (and I have been on a lot of them over the years). You make Renntech the best Porsche Board out there. I, for one, hope its not a waste of bandwidth to thank you for what you do, especially after comments like that.

Doug Davis