Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello there!

Current '03 986 S owner who's interested in moving to the 996 Targa. My price range probably puts me in an '02 or '03 model.

I have yet to drive one, they're hard to find nearby. So, I went to my local P-Car dealership to drive a 3.6 coupe and get a feel for it versus my Boxster. More motor, but very much like my car on the street and highway (although I'm sure a harder drive would yield differences).

The first salesman I talked to was a bit rude, insisting that the Targa is "too European" for my taste (huh? I guess I was "too domestic" for his), and indicated it would be soft and creaky and just about useless. All this after about 30 seconds of discussion! I take it he wasn't a fan. Luckily, he got busy with another customer so I worked with someone else who was friendly and helpful.

I've done some reading on people's experiences with the Targa's glass roof, including squeaks, rattles, and the like. My wife and I both have Boxsters, one with a hardtop, so I'm no stranger to odd noises. I hope to find my "jewel in the rough" that's unmolested, and maybe has the TSBs performed on the roof. It's a buyer's market.

I'd love to hear from Targa owners or anyone with experience driving one, ESPECIALLY if you've tracked the car. I'm no racer, but I enjoy a few DE and AX events per year and want a car that will perform well above my ability on the track, which is average now and will improve over time. I want that same car to drive me home afterward in relative comfort. I'm a fan of the all-rounder; my Boxster has spoiled me so well in this respect that it'll be hard for me to part with it.

I've read cries of added weight, softer suspension, noises, and top failures, most of the comments coming from folks who don't own one. Regardless, your $.02 is appreciated even on those points. FYI For all you Cab fans out there, my second choice would be a coupe.

Thanks for reading.

Mark

I went from a 986 Boxster to a 996 Targa. The biggest difference I notice is the power - I came from a non-S 2.5 Boxster though. It also seems a lot nicer overall - interior etc, but again i came from an optionless boxster and my Targa is pretty loaded up. I especially like the supple leather seats a lot more than the standard/basic seats in the boxster.

It is my understanding that the 996 Targa is based on the 996 Coupe, whereas the 993 Targa is based on the 993 Cabriolet and therefor has similar torsional rigidity to that of the Coupe, and not as much flex as the Cabriolet.

The roof definitely sqeaks but it's only noticeable over rough pavement at lower speeds. At freeway speeds I never hear it. It really is the coolest thing to have a glass roof!!! The sunshade diffuses the sun, but doen't completely block it out, however there is an optional sunshade with a tighter weave that blocks out more sun that you can have installed.

Another great thing about the Targa is that the rear glass opens like a hatchback making the storage in the back seat area much more easy to access and way more usable.

One important thing to note is that you cannot install the RTS (roof transport system) on the Targa. And there are no aftermarket racks that exist that will fit (that i am aware of).

I have never tracked the Targa, but I have AX'ed it. It's fast, but all things being equal a 996 C2 should be faster though. I had read somewhere that it's not recommended to track it... Anyways, it did fine in the AX,it handles great and i didn't have any problems. I am not a very good driver yet, and the Targa is way over my current abilities.

I defintely prefer it over my Boxster, I have never been a huge fan of convertibles. And heck with the Targa top all the way open it's a lot like a convertible anyways.

My only gripes are that there isn't a rack system for the car. I'd like to be able to carry my surfboard or bike sometimes on this car, but it's just not an option. With the top all the way open it's very difficult to see out the back since you are basically looking through 2 pieces of glass, but my rear window is tinted so it might not be so bad on a non-tinted car.

Good luck with your purchase!

Lawrence

One important thing to note is that you cannot install the RTS (roof transport system) on the Targa. And there are no aftermarket racks that exist that will fit (that i am aware of).

My only gripes are that there isn't a rack system for the car. I'd like to be able to carry my surfboard or bike sometimes on this car, but it's just not an option.

Lawrence

The Targa has an OEM roof transport system! It is specific to Targas and lists for around $600 but if you google it, you might find it for just over $400. Good luck! Also, mine does not squeak anymore than my coupe did.

Thanks for your very helpful impressions, Lawrence. Any other Targa owners/drivers care to chime in?

Also, has anyone sent their Targa to the dealer to service the top (lube, etc.)? How much does that run typically, and is it something that could be done myself? Looking for a TSB on it now.

Mark,

I have an MY02 Targa with about 54,000 miles. I use it as a boulevard and cross country cruiser....no DE's, AX's or daily driving. I'm the second owner, having purchased the car about two and a half years ago from the original dealer/service provider as a CPO car. I mention the history of the car because I have all of the service records. With the exception of a RMS issue, a heated seat problem and the replacement of a six year old battery, the car has been trouble free. The car hasn't had any maintenance, TSB or otherwise, done to the top.

With respect to the Targa top, mine doesn't rattle or leak. I will say that it is very uncomfortable cruising with top open. Even with the flip up spoiler extended, the noise and buffeting are very tiring. The rear view through the back window is somewhat compromised with the top open. And, if you forget and open the top with the sunscreen closed, the rear view is almost totally blocked. (The sunscreen can be extended or retracted regardless of the top position.)

If you purchase an MY02/MY03 Targa and don't get an Owner's Manual, download the MY03 Carrera Owner's Manual available here at RennTech. There is some important information that covers closing the top manually (pg 164/165) and closing the rear lid (pg 163).

My subjective observations driving a stock Targa compared to my wife's stock MY03 2.7 Boxster - given my lack of test driving education and experience - are: the Targa obviously out performs the Boxster with respect to acceleration; the Targa feels like it is the heavier car that it is; cornering performance hasn't been deeply explored, though I suppose the Boxster would win out, given the stock suspension/alignment setup of both cars and the mid-engine vs. rear-engine design. (Flame suit on.) Both cars have PSM. Targas have been panned because of the extra 30-35 pounds of the Targa top raises the c.g. of the car. That, again, is out of my test driving experience level.

One final thought.....the 997 Targas are again based on Cabriolet bodies as were the 993 Targas previously mentioned. My thought is that the Cabriolets have additional stiffening which, when added to the installation of the Targa top, makes the 997 Targas stronger (more rattle free) than the 996 Targas.

Cheers,

Bill

The Targa has an OEM roof transport system! It is specific to Targas and lists for around $600 but if you google it, you might find it for just over $400. Good luck! Also, mine does not squeak anymore than my coupe did.

I stand corrected... I had originally shopped around and was lead to believe that one did not exist for the Targa. As aliberty stated, there is a RTS that will fit on the Targa:

Part no. 996 801 065 00

Its factory MSRP is over $1100, ouch! but you can get it for cheaper. I think is it kind of a rare part that they don't sell many of.

RE: Service/lube for the top, I haven't had to do it yet, but it looks like there is just a bit of light lubricant along the tracks that you could easily add more yourself if it starts to go dry....

I am the 3rd owner of a 02 Targa with 35K km's. I have not tracked the car (yet) however my guess is that the first owner did as the suspension had been upgraded and stiffened.

The roof has been solid and I haven't noticed any squeaks or rattles. I use the car primarily as a daily driver and day trips on weekends. A friend of mine who also has a targa has had problems with the latch mechanism (replaced it twice now) but I haven't experienced any issues.

When I got the car I was specifically looking for a targa since I love the idea of a convertible but prefer the lines of the coupe. For me the targa gives the best of both worlds. I have the roof open about 75% of the time.

Pros (to me)

- lots of light. Not quite as open as a convertible but close

- still has the latch points to install child seats (I have 2 in mine!). My 2 year old son loves looking up through the roof :-)

- opening the rear glass allows easy access to the small bit of storage behind the rear headrests

- maintains the smooth lines of the car

- seems to be quite rare (which can be both a pro and a con)

Cons

- wind noise can be annoying above ~120km/h or so.

- when the roof is open it reduces visibility in the rear. Mine has a stock pop-up spoiler and I can't see the spoiler when the roof is open

- weight/rigidity compared with the coupe (not a huge issue for me)

So far no issues with squeaks etc. If I wear out this one...my next carrera will also be a targa.

I am the 3rd owner of a 02 Targa with 35K km's. I have not tracked the car (yet) however my guess is that the first owner did as the suspension had been upgraded and stiffened.

The roof has been solid and I haven't noticed any squeaks or rattles. I use the car primarily as a daily driver and day trips on weekends. A friend of mine who also has a targa has had problems with the latch mechanism (replaced it twice now) but I haven't experienced any issues.

When I got the car I was specifically looking for a targa since I love the idea of a convertible but prefer the lines of the coupe. For me the targa gives the best of both worlds. I have the roof open about 75% of the time.

Pros (to me)

- lots of light. Not quite as open as a convertible but close

- still has the latch points to install child seats (I have 2 in mine!). My 2 year old son loves looking up through the roof :-)

- opening the rear glass allows easy access to the small bit of storage behind the rear headrests

- maintains the smooth lines of the car

- seems to be quite rare (which can be both a pro and a con)

Cons

- wind noise can be annoying above ~120km/h or so.

- when the roof is open it reduces visibility in the rear. Mine has a stock pop-up spoiler and I can't see the spoiler when the roof is open

- weight/rigidity compared with the coupe (not a huge issue for me)

So far no issues with squeaks etc. If I wear out this one...my next carrera will also be a targa.

I just traded in a MY 2000 Boxster S for a 2002 Targa. Taking the Targa to my first Driver Skills day this weekend and will report back what I learn. So far, I am very happy with the Targa, and I really enjoyed the Boxster. The Targa feels more solid, while the Boxster felt a bit more connected. The roof rattle does not bug me.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also thinking of moving from a 2.7 2003 Boxster to a targa--- preferably a CPO car. If anyone has any suggestions or leads, let me know. This was a very helpful thread.

2003 2.7

46K, (New Engine at 34K)

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased my 2003 Targa 996 last year, and I am the second owner. There is some minor rattle with the roof, but I only notice it on roughed up roads, otherwise no issues. In terms of performacne, I am very satisified. I have not yet AX with it (haven't autocrossed since I lost my 914), but have read online about 996 Targas being less rigid, but I suspect that could be improved with the suspenstion and other mods. I love the open cockpit and constant sun, an essential for me in So Cal. I also think it is a stunning car with the glass roof, mine is midnight blue. I may make some mods in the future and start AX, but for now I think its a great compromise between a classy car and a performance racer. B)