Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Rear Speakers

I haven't seen this kit in person, but I have looked for something similar for my 98 986, and the only caveat I would bring up is that I believe this only works in the hard rear storage case where pockets already exist. My car has the soft case with pull-zipper assemblies, so it's not a direct solution. Hope this helps.

Nor have I seen this kit in person.

However, I know both Sunset Porsche and Suncoast Porsche were selling the OEM rear speaker kit's late last fall for $79.86 or some ridiculous price around there. Suncoast's site currently has them priced at $164.95 but you might want to inquire directly w/ each before jumping on the fleabay choice....

www.sunsetimports.net (Sunset in WA)

www.e-partssales.com (Suncoast in FL)

However, I know both Sunset Porsche and Suncoast Porsche were selling the OEM rear speaker kit's late last fall for $79.86 or some ridiculous price around there. Suncoast's site currently has them priced at $164.95 but you might want to inquire directly w/ each before jumping on the fleabay choice....

It's been awhile but I installed this kit a few years ago. You can find a couple great write-ups around here somewhere. You'll need a Dremel type cutting tool and some hot glue - other than that the install is a breeze.

NOTE that if is the exact same kit as many of us have, it does NOT produce what you would call 'hi-fi' sound. It adds more of a surround effect - quite nice for my tastes!

It's been awhile but I installed this kit a few years ago. You can find a couple great write-ups around here somewhere. You'll need a Dremel type cutting tool and some hot glue - other than that the install is a breeze.

NOTE that if is the exact same kit as many of us have, it does NOT produce what you would call 'hi-fi' sound. It adds more of a surround effect - quite nice for my tastes!

I purchased one of those rear speaker kits at the low low sale price a day or two before someone else bought them all out to resell on ebay. The Porsche factory rear speaker kits definitely helps to balance and round out the sound of within the car. I have a MY 99 boxster with speakers in the door panel. The rear speaker kit was definitely worth the upgrade cost of $80.

Eventually I do want to replace the factory speakers and amp with something slightly more powerful. There are certain songs in my collection that just don't sound right because they are bass heavy and this sound system just doesn't get deep enough. I'm not talking rattle the windows in buildings as you drive by, I simply want my rock and roll to sound like rock and roll.

Scout around and see if you can get them for less than $170. Be patient and I am sure another deal will roll around like that last promotion.

-Jeremy

I have heard them both. Harvey's kit is good but not much different from OEM (in the interest of full disclosure I have Harvey's kit as he was less expensive way back when the OEM kits were $300+). The rear speakers really only add fill sound not clarity (much like rear channels in home stereo set-up while listening to regular TV). It's nice to have but you're not going to be impressed w/ the clarity from them. The plus w/ Harvey's kit is it's upgradable if you want to put different drivers in (it's a std 3.5" opening vs OEM which IIRC is not a std opening and would necessitate some mods to drop in new drivers). Regardless, if you're driving either w/ the OEM 40W amp (or even the 18W from the h/u) I'd go w/ the one that is less expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
The plus w/ Harvey's kit is it's upgradable if you want to put different drivers in (it's a std 3.5" opening vs OEM which IIRC is not a std opening and would necessitate some mods to drop in new drivers

What mods would be required to fit other 3.5" speakers into the OEM kit? I know Harvey's PNP kit is superior in this regard but Trieullionaire is selling the OEM kit much cheaper at this time..... I'm not too keen on the OEM paper cone things though :)

Just saw this page from an audio installer. Seems the OEM speakers are only 3":

Description:

http://vantagecanada.com/rear-speaker-navi...orsche-boxster/

Picture:

http://vantagecanada.com/wp-content/upload...install-023.jpg

Here is another page where the OEM kit is modded:

http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/speakers.htm

Edited by yellowlemon