Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 99 totally stock C2 cab which has been great for the last 4 years - now has 75K miles. Attended 3 DEs last year and got hooked. noticing the lack of cabs at these events and always loving the look of widebody coupes, I've become infatuated with the idea of buying an 996 C4S coupe. found what appears to be a very good, low mileage (25K) example at a very attractive price. If I pull the trigger on the deal, I'm sure I'll have buyer's remorse for a while (I usually do) but I always get over it. But, in this instance, I'm also concerned I'll miss the cab (already tried to talk my wife into both, no chance). Anyone have an opinion... should I forget the coupe and keep the cab?

seriously, I'd appreciate any advice about the C4S as a track car. Seems the AWD is designed more for handling than wet/snow traction, but obviously has weight implications. Thoughts?

I have a 99 totally stock C2 cab which has been great for the last 4 years - now has 75K miles. Attended 3 DEs last year and got hooked. noticing the lack of cabs at these events and always loving the look of widebody coupes, I've become infatuated with the idea of buying an 996 C4S coupe. found what appears to be a very good, low mileage (25K) example at a very attractive price. If I pull the trigger on the deal, I'm sure I'll have buyer's remorse for a while (I usually do) but I always get over it. But, in this instance, I'm also concerned I'll miss the cab (already tried to talk my wife into both, no chance). Anyone have an opinion... should I forget the coupe and keep the cab?

seriously, I'd appreciate any advice about the C4S as a track car. Seems the AWD is designed more for handling than wet/snow traction, but obviously has weight implications. Thoughts?

Coupe is stiffer and safer for the track.

I think the 4S allows you to get on the power much quicker and harder on exit than the 2.

Hello,

IMHO, if you are serious about the track, you should get a dedicated track car.

The problem with a dual purpose car, one that you plan on driving on the street and driving on the track, is that it won't be real good at either. If you set it up for the track, with all the appropriate safety gear and suspension, it will be miserable on the street. And if you leave the car so it's comfortable on the street, it won't work well on the track.

One solution would be to keep the cab and buy a cheap track car. This way you can have your cab, and have something that works well on the track. If you buy someone else's older track car, say an old 911 or a 944, it will work great on the track. Sure, it may not be as fast as your 996, but it will probably be just as much fun. And it will give you an easy entry into the world of club racing, etc.

Good luck,

Barry

Moving from a 996 C4S to a 997 Carrera S I can tell you that the AWD cars drive differently. They have a heavier "tank" feel than the RWD cars IMHO. I would think this would be more fun at the track personally, although I am no expert. On the street I am liking the RWD car much better (especially PASM!!) but then again we see no wintry stuff where I live. Good luck on your quest.