Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake pedal sticking

Hello, I have taken out my 99 996 from winter storage. I noticed while driving that the brake pedal was being sticky- needed help getting back to the top.... Had to put my foot under it and push it up... if that makes sense!)

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas of what would be causing this? I was wondering if this is a sign of the calipers being a bit rusted and sticking? I was too nervous to drive it more than a block or two, just in case it was something serious.

Thanks for your help!

• Admin

Lot's of possibilities...

How old is your fluid? Change it if it is two years or older.

Rust on pedal bushing (under dash)?

Sticky push rod on the pedal? (dirt, corrosion, etc.)

If the car was put away with wet brakes then the pads and pistons could be stuck. Rare bit I have see it.

Lot's of possibilities...

How old is your fluid? Change it if it is two years or older.

Rust on pedal bushing (under dash)?

Sticky push rod on the pedal? (dirt, corrosion, etc.)

If the car was put away with wet brakes then the pads and pistons could be stuck. Rare bit I have see it.

Hi Loren,

I had the brakes flushed and the fluid changed last year. I am going to take a look at the bushing and the push rod tomorrow in the daylight.

I washed the car before putting it away for the winter, but I am pretty sure it was completely dry.

I'll report my findings tomorrow- thanks for the reply!!

One possibility is water got into the brake booster. Usually it happens when you wash the car and the drain hole is plugged by dirt. The water got into the booster.

The fix is to replace the booster. There's TSB for a new design of the booster bellow (to prevent water from entering). I can't remember the details but it happened to one of my friend's '99. I hope you have a simpler/cheaper problem.

One possibility is water got into the brake booster. Usually it happens when you wash the car and the drain hole is plugged by dirt. The water got into the booster.

The fix is to replace the booster. There's TSB for a new design of the booster bellow (to prevent water from entering). I can't remember the details but it happened to one of my friend's '99. I hope you have a simpler/cheaper problem.

This may be more of the issue- I noticed today that when the car is not running, the pedal is absolutely fine. When the car is at idle, the pedal is much, much softer, and almost sinks to the floor when pressed, a very soft feeling. Has anyone else had this brake booster problem??

Tilley

This may be more of the issue- I noticed today that when the car is not running, the pedal is absolutely fine. When the car is at idle, the pedal is much, much softer, and almost sinks to the floor when pressed, a very soft feeling. Has anyone else had this brake booster problem??

Tilley

Exact symptoms my friend had. Try to spray water between the windshield and front hood (simulating car wash and raining). Then open your hood and remove the black plastic cover that covers the battery compartment. Now look at the brake booster area. Try to see if you see a puddle of water in that area and see if it's possible for water to creep into the booster through the bellow. If you have a puddle build up, your drain hole is clogged and you need to unclog that. There should be one drain hole close to that area.

Tilley

Exact symptoms my friend had. Try to spray water between the windshield and front hood (simulating car wash and raining). Then open your hood and remove the black plastic cover that covers the battery compartment. Now look at the brake booster area. Try to see if you see a puddle of water in that area and see if it's possible for water to creep into the booster through the bellow. If you have a puddle build up, your drain hole is clogged and you need to unclog that. There should be one drain hole close to that area.

Thanks. I did that but didn't see any water. I think I will order a booster and have it installed.

• 3 years later...

I am having the exact same issues with water in the booster, and sticking pedal. First noticed it in the spring when I pulled it out of the garage and just got it back from a local mechanic. He replaced the master cylinder (didn't help) and found water in the booster. Did replacing the booster resolve the issue? Did you ever find the source of water that got into the booster?

• Admin

I am having the exact same issues with water in the booster, and sticking pedal. First noticed it in the spring when I pulled it out of the garage and just got it back from a local mechanic. He replaced the master cylinder (didn't help) and found water in the booster. Did replacing the booster resolve the issue? Did you ever find the source of water that got into the booster?

There is a TSB on this. Both the booster changed and the seal at the firewall.