Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Main seal failure

• Admin

Here are some things to go over with your service advisor...

1. Ask them to: Please check and fix any other oil leaks (intemediate shaft, cam covers, from pulley seal) at the same time. Also, check and replace the clutch if needed.

2. Ask them if they will be checking the installation position of the crankshaft with special tool 9699/1.

3. Make sure you get documentation of the part numbers used and approriate dates for potential future warranty claims.

4. Ask them to pray for your car... ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Loren I just called them and they said that its not normal fro them to pull the clutch and check it but they would do it if I wanted them to so I said yes please...

As for the special tool they said they check everyhting according to Porsche standards... whatever that may mean???

;)

Oh dear! I also noticed a drop or two on the garage floor. Is this serious stuff Loren? I mean my car is just out of warranty. :(

I recall you mentioned in a previous post something about if they find a particular problem, you get a new engine! Is this the same problem? Also I guess it doesn't apply to out of warranty cars anyway.

• Moderators

Dranon.....I hope the service advisor just doesn't understand your question about checking the clutch when they do the RMS. The RMS is between the flywheel and the engine case and they have to take the clutch off the flywheel to get the thing off. They do it by leaving the engine in the car and dropping the transmission.

Berny, I would take it to your dealer anyway. Did you buy the car from that dealer? I would go right up the line of authority with Porsche in the UK until I got some satisfaction. There is certainly no harm in trying! Good luck!

Don, thanks for the tip Don't worry I will. I'm just 6 weeks out of warranty, The car was Major serviced last November but I've only done 3000 miles since then. I am hoping I can throw this at them. I bought the car privately 3 years ago with 675 miles on the clock. The seller went bankrupt and I got a great deal on what I considered a brand new car. Since then, never had any problems....touch wood. But it has been serviced by the same dealer since.

The oil leak is tiny. I mean there is maybe two drops on the garage floor and I had to look real hard

to find where it is coming from. I am no expert but from the back looking under the car, it's coming from

what looks like the oil drain plug. Dead centre. So I am hoping that that is what the problem is. But I will have the dealer figure it out.

You mention cluch/flywheel. My car has always had what I consider to be a sort of whining from the clutch. Especially in first gear. I just assumed this is normal. My dealer has never said anything about it and I assume they test drive the car at service.

Off topic: I did Loren's "open cab top in motion" mod last week. When I lifted the back of the top I found a part that I can't figure where it came from. Loren suggested you might know. I put a picture in this thread:

http://www.renntech.org/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=38

any ideas?

Hello guys, I also just noticed a few drops under the right (passenger side) of the engine. the right side was also covered by a dark substance with consistency of mud (I'm guessing my car is too old to have cosmoline?). Do you guys have any idea of prognosis just by this description. i was reading that rms is commonly dead center and right side is likely variocam? I really have no idea about these things. Everything I have learned about my car is from this forum. Just wondering if I am being paranoid about a few drops and being way out of warranty at 70k miles. :o I have had the car since 50K miles with no problems besides coolant tank crack. It is a late 99 model and I'm not sure if rms has been done. Thanks

• Admin

raffi,

It could be another oil leak. There are TSBs for the early cars that include leaking valve covers, intermediate shaft seal, pulley seal, and oil return tubes on very early (1998 build) cars. A good dealer should be able to fix all of these at the same time and even cover some under warranty TSB work.

Well, my dealer has confirmed the inevitable.

However, so far no quibbles. I am impressed with the process. My dealer took pictures and made a case report and will send it up the chain to see if they will do it under warranty via what he called "their good will terms". He thinks I have a good case. It will take about a week before I know the outcome.

Here's hoping....... will keep you informed.

Now the question is, if they agree to do it under warranty....will I get a new engine :clapping:

Here's hoping #2....

raffi,

It could be another oil leak. There are TSBs for the early cars that include leaking valve covers, intermediate shaft seal, pulley seal, and oil return tubes on very early (1998 build) cars. A good dealer should be able to fix all of these at the same time and even cover some under warranty TSB work.

You are scaring me Loren... no leaks at all on my 2/98 build... knock on wood! :eek:

Hello guys, I also just noticed a few drops under the right (passenger side) of the engine. the right side was also covered by a dark substance with consistency of mud (I'm guessing my car is too old to have cosmoline?). Do you guys have any idea of prognosis just by this description. i was reading that rms is commonly dead center and right side is likely variocam? I really have no idea about these things. Everything I have learned about my car is from this forum. Just wondering if I am being paranoid about a few drops and being way out of warranty at 70k miles. :o I have had the car since 50K miles with no problems besides coolant tank crack. It is a late 99 model and I'm not sure if rms has been done. Thanks

Raffi,

I am experience the same leak(i think). It is the passenger side of the engine and seems to be leaking from an area where it looks as if some sensor wire is going in. ??

Is this the same location, Raffi?

Does anyone have any insight on this leak? I will take and post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks,

jon

raffi,

I just had a leak from my "oil diverter" fixed last week. Out of factory warranty, and covered by 1source, I figured I was ok. However, 1source denied coverage on that because it's a rubber tube, and they specifically don't cover rubber parts.

Cost (@$135/hour) was roughly $850. No information regarding TSB's was given to me, nor did they offer to pick up any charges.

My car is a 4/98 build.

-Chris

I am still awaiting to hear from my dealer if my RMS will be replaced under warranty.

However, I was just wondering, when they do the RMS I will naturally have the clutch replaced (first time in 27k miles). But should I go for the standard Factory clutch unit or should I go for something better?

I don't track my car so I am likely to get longer life in my clutch than those that do. But do some clutches last longer than others?

Finally, any suggestions (URLs) to go to buy them?

Cheers,

Berny

As it turns out, they gave me the following:

1x 996-107-023-54 --- oil separator

2x N-023-570-2 --- hose clamp

1x 999-512-552-00 --- hose clamp

Total parts: $144.36

Total labor: $540.00

Also had two more coolant leaks, bringing my total to (1 before I owned the car, 1 @ 30k service, 2 now) 4 separate items.

-Chris

• Admin

Interesting that they didn't replace the bellows tube. Those have been a problem on a few older MY99 cars (cracking and leaking). The guess labor is so high because they have to drop the oil pan (drain the oil and refill)... still doesn't seem like more than a couple hours.

• 2 months later...

Raffi,

I am experience the same leak(i think). It is the passenger side of the engine and seems to be leaking from an area where it looks as if some sensor wire is going in. ??

Is this the same location, Raffi?

Does anyone have any insight on this leak? I will take and post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks,

jon

:( ****! Just found this leak today and my car has been out of warrenty since February! Has there been any feedback since this thread originally posted about Porsche repairing this problem under warrenty for out of warrenty 996's. The oil is coming out in a fairly steady drip (about 1-2 drips per hour). I climed unc=der the car today to see if the bad news is real and its not looking good. ****, I am starting to feel like I am driving a Bimmer!

If Porsche cannot fix this under warrenty...I AM OUT...Selling my car and no more Porsche's for me. I may have to slide over to Merc's or perhaps (dread the thought) back to Bimmer!

Dayum this sucks, I went through this with my 993 (5K to fix a carbon build up in the intake) a flaw that began to reveal itself immediately after the car stepped out of the warrenty. Looks like I am gonna get jacked again not in my 996 if Porsche does not cover this.

• Admin

Here is my advice. If your car has had a RMS replaced before then you could still be in line for a new engine (at no cost). It all comes down to the seal test and the cars history. This is a known problem and Porsche has replaced many main seals on out-of warranty cars. Talk to your dealer - get any history or records you have to back up your case... and if the dealer turns you down ask to talk to a regional PCNA rep.

• 2 weeks later...
Don, thanks for the tip Don't worry I will. I'm just 6 weeks out of warranty, The car was Major serviced last November but I've only done 3000 miles since then. I am hoping I can throw this at them. I bought the car privately 3 years ago with 675 miles on the clock. The seller went bankrupt and I got a great deal on what I considered a brand new car. Since then, never had any problems....touch wood. But it has been serviced by the same dealer since.

The oil leak is tiny. I mean there is maybe two drops on the garage floor and I had to look real hard

to find where it is coming from. I am no expert but from the back looking under the car, it's coming from

what looks like the oil drain plug. Dead centre. So I am hoping that that is what the problem is. But I will have the dealer figure it out.

You mention cluch/flywheel. My car has always had what I consider to be a sort of whining from the clutch. Especially in first gear. I just assumed this is normal. My dealer has never said anything about it and I assume they test drive the car at service.

Off topic: I did Loren's "open cab top in motion" mod last week. When I lifted the back of the top I found a part that I can't figure where it came from. Loren suggested you might know. I put a picture in this thread:

http://www.renntech.org/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=38

any ideas?

:D Funny that we should be on this topic...I just picked my car up from Sunset Imports here in Portland, Oregon ....RMS FIXED, NO CHARGE...TRANSMISSION REMOVED, INSPECTED, CLEANED, REINSTALLED NO CHARGE..., CLUTCH ASSY REMOVED, INSPECTED, NO CHARGE... CLUTCH REPAIR KIT $617.00 (for parts) INSTALL, NO CHARGE :D My warrenty expired in February of 2003!

Sunset Imports took care of me, even gave me a loaner (it was a Cayenne at first but it broke so I got a Buick LaSabre from the Enterprise RAC next door to the dealership).

Part Numbers they replaced-

996-116-911-00 Clutch Repair Kit

999-113-490-40 Oil Seal

999-073-092-09 Screw 10x50

After having my 2002 C4S in the shop for RMS leaks for 3 times in approx 6 months - I am getting a new engine...

I am taking the oppurtunity to upgrade the engine to an X51 powerkit version..

Can anyone confirm if there is any other "external" parts required other than the engine itself ?

Is there an additional centre radiator that needs to be installed on a C4S ?

Thunder