Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Becker CDR-23 pinout or connector wiring diagram

Hello!

I want to replace the CDR-23 radio in my 2004 Boxster. I have no Amp or CD changer that uses MOST bus.

With regards to the CAN bus however, I am worried about the following:

1) Is there a connection for Ignition+ behind the radio? I read since the CDR23 gets the Ignition signal as DATA over the CAN bus, this wire may not be present in the ISO plug. I also read there may be an alternate source for Ign+ from the Climate Control unit...... but which wire???

2) If I turn the radio on without the key in the car, the it will turn off automatically when I press the LOCK button on the key remote, which is really cool. Will this stay if I replace the radio with aftermarket? (My question is: does the key's LOCK button cut off the Ignition+ power in general, or is it actually a special CAN message that the CDR23 is responsing to that says I've pressed the button on the key?)

3) Is there a wire for Inside Illumination on-off ANALOG signal? Or does this go over CAN bus as well for the CDR23? Is there a nearby source I could tap this signal?

A picture of the pinout or wiring would be really helpful, and any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Had a look on Bob's Ultima Site: http://www.ultima-gtr.org.uk/becker.php

Apparently I can get Ign+ from BLUE-BLACK at the Climate Control Unit's LARGER connector.

Also:

Plug A of Original CDR-23 in Boxster or 996.

---------

Pin 1 - ?

Pin 2 - ?

Pin 3 - ?

Pin 4 - Constant (+)

Pin 5 - CAN bus or other control (must be cut for other radio, or Aircon stays off)

Pin 6 - ?

Pin 7 - NO Ign (+) present, see above

Pin 8 - Ground (-)

Plug C

----------

C1 plug contains the CAN high and low signal wires, and must be disconnected for other radios or the aircon compressor cooks itself!

Could someone inform me what exactly is on Pins 1,2,3,5&6? And where in C1 are "CAN high" and "CAN low"?

Thanks!

post-40926-1238202313_thumb.jpg

Good luck on this...

Thank you very much for that!

I also found this useful resource on the CDR-24 pinout which matches your wiring diagram for the CDR-23 (in the important parts :) It seems these two radios are very similar.

From http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-boxste...tooth-myth.html

CDR_24_Pinout.pdf

Edited by yellowlemon

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question about Loren's diagram above: Can anyone tell me what these wires are? They are connected at the back on my 2004 Box CDR-23, but what is connected at the other end?

Pin A1 - Grey-Pink Wire - ???

Pin A2 - Black-Blue Wire - ???

Thankyou!

• Admin
Quick question about Loren's diagram above: Can anyone tell me what these wires are? They are connected at the back on my 2004 Box CDR-23, but what is connected at the other end?

Pin A1 - Grey-Pink Wire - ???

Pin A2 - Black-Blue Wire - ???

Thankyou!

Grey/Pink = Speedometer wire (usually used for PCM, PSE, and radio volume control at speed)

Black/Blue = Backup signal (not likely used on a Boxster)

A1 Grey/Pink = Speedometer wire (usually used for PCM, PSE, and radio volume control at speed)

A2 Black/Blue = Backup signal (not likely used on a Boxster)

Thanks heaps Loren! Good to know I have those two signals ready to go should I install a NAV unit in the future.... very near future :jump:

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

OK. I'm In the process of changing out my CDR-23. I want to make sure that I have the wires on the "A" plug identified correctly. Can someone confirm this?

Pin 1 - Speed Signal
Pin 2 - Reverse Signal
Pin 3 - Phone Mute
Pin 4 - Constant (+)
Pin 5 - Signal for amplified antenna

Pin 6 - Not connected
Pin 7 - Not connected
Pin 8 - Ground (-)

Thanks.

Tony

post-93064-0-64731100-1403036473_thumb.j