Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dead Battery from Winter Storage

Just went to retrieve my '99 Boxster from storage and the battery is dead. Unfortunately, from reaction I set the alarm on. Now, the car is completely dead and the levers to open the hood & trunk do not operate. Anyone run into this problem before or have tips?

Thx

Just went to retrieve my '99 Boxster from storage and the battery is dead. Unfortunately, from reaction I set the alarm on. Now, the car is completely dead and the levers to open the hood & trunk do not operate. Anyone run into this problem before or have tips?

Thx

Battery charger that utilizes the cigarette lighter, or the emergency release cable.

It is behind the right front wheel well liner. You just need to reach in there and pull the cable. There are a bunch of posts covering the exact location and I believe pictures also that may help.

Thx

Battery charger that utilizes the cigarette lighter, or the emergency release cable.

It is behind the right front wheel well liner. You just need to reach in there and pull the cable. There are a bunch of posts covering the exact location and I believe pictures also that may help.

Good call! I have a portable battery charger and there is a 12 volt extension. I'll go buy a two sided 12 volt line, plug it into the cigarette lighter and hope for the best!!

Thanks for the response on my problem. So far i've spliced 2 12v cords to the cig lighter and battery box and got vauge lights on my dash. I also put a fuse wire leading into the "C3" fuse and got nothing..I tried to get in the wheel well for the cable and realized I need to remove the wheel. Can't do that either because my key to the lugnuts are in the trunk!!! Any other suggestions?

Thx

Don't put to many amps through that lighter circuit

the wiring isn't up to it. Just enough juice to power the trunk unlatch. Then charge and start the car. Trying to start the car through the lighter will fry the wiring.

The cig lighter trick did not work. Anyone know where i can find pics of the cable in the wheel well? Is it accessible while the car is on the ground?

This happened to my 996 as well. What I did was to open the engine cover with the rear emergency cable (much easier to access than the front cable) and access the "jump start terminal" ( if you don't know where it is the location is in your manual.) If your hook up a battery to that connection (positive to the terminal ground to the body) you will be able to pop your trunk.

Here is a link for a similar problem to yours. Scroll down and look for "tool pants" reply. He posted a photo that shows you where the emergency cable is located in a Boxster. In a 996 it is under the taillight on the drivers side.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ood+latch+cable

Hope this helps

Thanks for the response on my problem. So far i've spliced 2 12v cords to the cig lighter and battery box and got vauge lights on my dash. I also put a fuse wire leading into the "C3" fuse and got nothing..I tried to get in the wheel well for the cable and realized I need to remove the wheel. Can't do that either because my key to the lugnuts are in the trunk!!! Any other suggestions?

Thx

Try these some have pictures and descriptions that may help:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...l=dead++battery

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I assume your 99 is the same as my 02. There is a terminal in the fuse box that pulls out. You attach the positive clamp on jumper cables to the terminal and the negative to a ground on the car (if I remember correctly). Other end of hte jumper cables goes to a live battery (in the proper order). This puts enough power into the system to unlatch the trunks etc. It's covered in the manual, so read the manual or download a copy if it's in the locked trunk and I'm sure on the board somewhere. Worked very easily for me.

Sorry just reading some of the other threads, the post in the fuse box didn't come out until 2001 model year. Guess you can't do that.

Edited by soopster