Jump to content

The RennTech.org community is Member supported!  Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating.
Click here to Donate

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Sign in to follow this  
typhon

door compartment armrest cover

Recommended Posts

i had a problem with the cover of the storage compartment cracking. don't know exactly what caused it. i decided to just buy another compartment door. retail: $1100 :o sale price: $785 :o when i looked inside the compartment, i noticed that the cover of the door is attached by 13 small torx screws. i removed the cover and will now attempt to save a little cash and repair the original one.

does anyone know what the clear finish on this part is made of? epoxy? urethane?

as i get it done, i'll post pics and hopefully it will help someone else as well.

thanks

post-24562-1238480090_thumb.jpg

post-24562-1238480183_thumb.jpg

post-24562-1238480196_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

I was told epoxy a couple of years ago, by an employee of a wood finish manufacturer, but i cant say it for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a brand new set that includes both covers and the handles as weel that I will sell you for alot less than that, but it you are interested we will need to find out if they are the right wood color. Do you have the part numbers off of yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was told epoxy a couple of years ago, by an employee of a wood finish manufacturer, but i cant say it for sure.

thanks. i'm going to do a couple of test spots on a piece of scrap wood that i have and see how it looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have a brand new set that includes both covers and the handles as weel that I will sell you for alot less than that, but it you are interested we will need to find out if they are the right wood color. Do you have the part numbers off of yours?

now that i have it apart, i'm going to give the repair a try. if it doesn't work out, i'll send you a pm.

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

success!! somewhat. ok, it's taken 3 months of tinkering, but i think that i have a solution. i don't know if anyone else had this problem or not, but here is what i did: after removing the top panel from the armrest, i drilled about 20 small holes in the back. with a hypo, i injected clear hobby cement (modeling glue) into the holes. i can't even remember how many tubes i used. could have been as many as 10 to 15. i just did a little each day and kept doing it until the top didn't flex anymore. then, i sanded the top and sprayed 3 coats of clear polyurethane, wet sanded to 1200, 3 more coats, sanded, 3 more coats, sanded. the problem i had was: now the wood grain look was gone where i had done the repair, so i took the finish almost completely down to where i started. i took an air-brush and blended in some dark ebony stain to simulate the wood grain color that was there originally and then went through the finishing process again. buffed it out and this is what i got. i know it's not perfect, but i can live with it. don't know if it was worth it, if you are just counting the dollars and time, but i learned a lot and hopefully someone else can use it too.

post-24562-1244999278_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.