Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have tried to read all I can on the topic of suspension and wanted to throw out my scenario and see what comes back. I have a 2000 C2 Tiptronic with 110 k miles. The car came with standard suspension but the PO replaced the springs with Eibach lowering springs from Champion Motorsport. The car was a little too low for the road hazards I deal with, suspension was fairly harsh, and I would get spring binding (clanking over bumps). That was how it was when I bought the car with 70k miles. I replaced the springs with US M030. Ride height is better for my roads but still seems a little harsh compared to new Cayman's I have driven as loaners. When I replaced the springs I noticed one of the rear shocks leaking. So I probably need new shock and struts anyway. I just wonder if new shocks will make any difference over sharp impact bumps. I assume that if the shock is gone then there is no compression damping and thus the only resistance to the impact is the spring. If I replace the shock there will be spring plus shock acting (do I have that right)? I would like better control on cornering but this is my daily driver and I very rarely track the car. So suspension compromise for the street is unacceptable. I have thought about PSS9s or even JIC (little pricey but more adjustment). However, the JIC set up uses pillow ball mounts which I assume will translate pothole impacts into the car. PSS9s are nice but I doubt I would ever need the adjustment. I probably wouldn't bother lowering the car much anyway (leave at highest setting which I assume is already somewhat lowered compared to standard). So that leaves me with 3 options from Porsche, standard, US M030, and ROW M030. Again, lowering is not a prime concern. I know I will get a lot of slaps for this but "comfort", then followed by cornering precision. I accept that even with standard suspension this car is way beyond my limits. Should I just go with stock suspension all around (maybe change the sways?). Or how about the ROW M030? Are there any old farts like me out there who realize that I am not really a race driver and this car can be the perfect compromise for all I need it to do? Anyone try the ROW M030 and think. "too much"?

Let me characterize harshness as loud bang's in the cabin over potholes. Sound proofing might improve that. Seems like the newer cars are quieter than my 9 year old car.

I appreciate all "positive" responses.

I would seriously still consider finding some PSS9s on ebay. IMHO, the forte of the PSS9/10s is not being able to adjust them often, but just being able to adjust them to where you want/need. PSS9s (which will be much less $$ if you can find them) are going to be significantly more supple than M030 on the kind of impacts you are describing, when set to the soft end, & be about the same height as rowM030, or maybe 3/4" lower than USM030, when adjusted to the top. (Don't confuse height adjustment with compression/rebound adjustment, they are separate) Yet, they will still handle great, better than stock and on par or better than M030. M030 kit has recently gone up quite a bit, and the kit includes new sways, which, in your case you don't need to change. Since you already have the US M030 springs, it may still be cheaper to go M030 if the cost of just the struts (not the kit or total assemblies) is less. PSS9s show up pretty often in the $1200 range. The advantage of PSS10's over 9s is the stiffest setting is stiffer on 10s, and suppossedly the consistency of the settings is better than they were on the 9s. Your old shocks most certainly are gone at 110k, whether they leak or not, and their life would be shortened even further with the use of lowering springs, as it forces the shocks to operate in the wrong part of the stroke. I'd bet a lot of the shock you feel is hitting the stock bumpstops too soon because of the lowered springs.

Edited by perryinva