Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello all, im a new owner

I was refereed to this site by Mickeymouse and he spoke highly of it, thank you for that Mickey!

I just bought a 2000 boxster with 52K a month ago and the check engine light came on 3 times since, it goes away and comes back.

I got the Codes read and they are P1130 & P1128 manf. control fuel air metering

I read the entire thread on the MAF do you think this is my problem?

if I am to buy a new MAF im not sure which part # is for me as there are 3 out there!

As per your question ( Tool pants ) I just had the 60K service done after I bought the vehice and I had the Oil change (0W mobil 1 synthetic), fuel and air filter & polyrib belt changed all were mahle parts except the poly rib belt was a contitech.

I am quite sure that the induction is stock , my mech asked if I wanted the old parts back so I took them and I checked the old filter after your question and they were all mahle as well. Plus he told me all was normal in there!

Thanx guys

• Admin

For P1128 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 1 . 3) - Rich Threshold and P1130 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold. These codes mean that the fuel/air mixture is too lean. Air leaks ahead of the oxygen sensors can lead to a fault in adaptation (and code triggering). Also, check exhaust system for leaks.

The most common cause is not MAF but an intake air system leak. In a few cases a bad MAF has triggered this but most bad MAF's cause an MAF code like P101, P102, or P103.

How and where would I check for an air system or exhaust system leak?

If it was an exhaust system leak wouldn't I hear a loud roar! could it be my muffler it has not been replaced an I have 52 K just a thought?

and is it possible for these errors to cause the CE light go off then on again? I mean if there is an air leak meaning too much air is getting in right? hence lean..can a leak go away?

How can an exhaust leak result in a lean condition?

also I was going to reset the CE by unhooking the (-) terminal but I dont have radio codes in fact I have never had any experience with them, where can I get them from and how do they work?

Oh I almost forgot does my Boxster have 2 fuel filters? cause my mech only replaced one and I saw a post by Tool pants with a pic with 2 Fuel filters?

sorry for all the newbie questions! :help:

Edited by porscheneer

well I just got a new fuel filter so I think Your right... might not be the fuel filter plus the P codes are different.

Will it cost me to get the radio codes from the dealer and where do I key them in?

Thanx for the welcome Scott!

Edited by porscheneer

• Moderators

Loren has the OBDII book like I do and that is what the book says - the computer thinks the fuel/air mixture is too lean and the computer cannot correct it. Causes are air leaks, dirty injectors, low fuel pressure, or low fuel supply. The light goes on when the fault is detected then, if after a number of drive cycles, the light goes off it is because it was not detected again.

Sometimes you see this when an aftermarket induction system has been put in. But if a Mahle air filter was put in then you have the stock induction.

Open the engine compartment and check to see that everything is in place and all the clamps are tight. If everything is ok then time to think again. Maybe try a can of fuel injector cleaner.

There should be a radio code card about the size of a credit card. Sometimes it is written on the white option stucker under the front trunk lid. Your dealer may also have it. If not then if you push the correct buttons on the radio the serial number will be displayed and any dealer can call a special number and get the code. Takes them 2 minutes. My dealer does not charge for this.

Ok I will try it tonight, Which clamps and hoses am I looking for ? I have not been in the engine cabin yet ?

And can you recommend a fuel injector cleaner the fuel additive kind right!

I will also look for the radio code card tonight thanks for the advice.

I will post tomorrow and let you know.

How about a MAF?....any thought on that being the guilty party!

A quick last question will a PST2 tell me what the exact problem is?

Edited by porscheneer

Yes on the PST2, not much better then what your codes describe I would think...

Techron gasoline is what is recommended by my dealer, I have run this since I have had it.

I have no smoke nor any other problems, you can also get it at autozone "Techron" in a bottle.

Kragen has a sale on it currently: two for six dollars. [in my area]

OK Here goes.... you guys have been great with your help so I will try to be as descriptive as possible. There are many topics to cover so i will list them I went on a 2 hour info spree educating myself on this car. My life has been so hectic ever since I moved from Toronto I have not had a chance to even get aquainted with the controls. And I also did as much research as possible.

1. Found the radio codes, thanks for the heads up

2. Found the M.A.F but could not clean it or even take it out, reason you ask! because I didn't have any special tools ( no tools yet just moved to Houston without them what kind of head screw is that ? is there al alan key Im missing from tool kit?

3. Through all my tooling around i must have changed some configuration with my security/alarm or something, everytime I close my door I get a quick honk .... what is that and how do i turn it off ?

Edited by porscheneer

Heres the problem when I hit the accelerator from Idle the engine would make a sound and shudder a little, as I brought the RPM's up the sound was less pronounced but still there but it was best heard going from Idle to initial throttle.

The best way to describe it would be a sucking swoowsh of air, I used to have a 300ZX before and it sounds like the HKS/ Greddy/ AEM high flow intake's that make that whistle that turns into the sucking swoosh when you hit the accelerator I get choppy power delivery until my RPM over Power the condition.

Its like hearing a thick milkshake thru a skinny straw. when I look over my shoulder at it and hit the accelerator the top of the engine seems to be expanding/inhaling and contracting like its sucking in more air, is that normal or even possible?

Im still not sure what I am looking for or where .. before the MAF? after the airbox ?which hoses ? I have no clue?

just to recap the codes were P1128 & P1130

Edited by porscheneer

re:>>3. Through all my tooling around i must have changed some configuration with my security/alarm or something, everytime I close my door I get a quick honk .... what is that and how do i turn it off ?<<

The honk says a door or lid is not fully closed. This is almost always the lid to the storage compartment between the seats is not fully closed.

EVERYONE does this with a new Boxster, that and try to put the key into the right side of the steering column-LOL!

Ad Sach

If you have an owners manual, there is instructions on how to access the engine compartment it is not that hard at all. Its under the storage compartment behind the seats but you have to access it by opening the top 10 CM and detaching the back of the cloth top.

Im new to this forum myself but these guys are great Im sure someone has a Schematic or soft copy.

Try posting a new topic with your quiry in the subject field.

:welcome: