Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Vibration at Freeway Speeds

I replaced the tires today with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. (Much less road noise btw)

I've had a vibration to what appears to be passenger rear that I was hoping would go away as the previous tires were fairly worn. (It didn't)

One of the items listed in my pre-purchase inspection, last year, was a rear trailing arm might need to be replaced. Rattles at low speeds. Any idea if this can be the cause?

Wondering what else I can inspect?

Edited by rprieto

I replaced the tires today with Michelin PS tires. (Much less road noise btw)

I've had a vibration to what appears to be passenger rear that I was hoping would go away as the previous tires were fairly worn. (It didn't)

One of the items listed in my pre-purchase inspection, last year, was a rear trailing arm might need to be replaced. Rattles at low speeds. Any idea if this can be the cause?

Wondering what else I can inspect?

I don't know about the trailing arm, but in my case the wheel was bent. Evidently something that can easily happen with the low profile tires. They should have caught this when you had the new tires put on - maybe worth asking about.

Thanks, might be worth investigating. Right Rear had an off brand that was replaced due to a blow-out per the previous owner. I need to take a closer look at that rim.

BTW: This being Spring Break week, local freeway traffic was non-existent. With a change of tires, on my way to work this AM I was able to hear, at freeway speeds,.... JUST the engine/exhaust! Previous tires were Fuzions.

I cannot believe the difference.

Edited by rprieto

Maybe too simple of a comment but it's not the air deflector is it? When my deflector rises at about 125 km/h, which is about 80 mph, I get a vibration from the rear driver's side. If I retract the deflector using the switch, the vibration goes away. I wouldn't recommend driving at that speed without the deflector but worth trying once to see if that is the vibration.

Maybe too simple of a comment but it's not the air deflector is it? When my deflector rises at about 125 km/h, which is about 80 mph, I get a vibration from the rear driver's side. If I retract the deflector using the switch, the vibration goes away. I wouldn't recommend driving at that speed without the deflector but worth trying once to see if that is the vibration.

I've thought about it but have not tried that yet. Great idea... traffic willing.

About $125-150 including R&R of tire and repaint.

But I'd think you'd feel the vibration at lower speed or while braking if it was bent. (Just replaced 3 wheels on an Acura for about $160 each because they were bent)

I have been going through the same thing for a while. Speaking to Brad on another site he recommended checking the control arm bushings.

The wheel bearings are new, so are the rotors, wheels and tires. Just had the wheels balanced again and that did nothing.

Told to find some shop that had a ON CAR WHEEL BALANCER. Just trying to find one now.

Or it could be the wheel hub. That can be checked with your wheel and brake rotor removed. So that will be next when i get time. Stay tuned....

I've thought about it but have not tried that yet. Great idea... traffic willing.

No difference... I tried lowering & raising the spoiler several times at speed.