Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replace MAF, Cleaned Throttle Body-Wow!

Hello Everyone!

Have been a lurker for several years; this is my first post. I have some information that may or may not be useful regarding MAF and throttle body. I bought a 2000 Boxster S in 2005 with 8600 miles on it. It ran nicely, but had evidently been sitting for a while. I replaced the tires and instantly got a much better ride. After a couple of months I got a CEL (I believe it was P1126). Happily, I had found this site and learned all that I could about the problem. I recalled one post where a gentleman said that he had a similar experience on a low mile car that had been sitting for some time and that he solved the problem by simply cleaning the MAF with electronic parts cleaner. I did this and it worked like a charm for over a year. Eventually the CEL returned and I cleaned the MAF again, thus saving money once more. It lasted another period of months before I got another light. I figured I had ridden that MAF sensor as long as I could and bit the bullet and ordered one from Paragon Products in Corpus Christi for about $240 US. It got here quickly and I installed it today. While I was in the engine bay I decided to clean the throttle body as my idle had been a little jumpy for a few months. Took it out of the car (I have some mechanical skills from helping my dad restore cars 25 years ago when I was a kid) and cleaned it with carb cleaner in the manner prescribed by this site. The car only has 30,000 miles on it now, but there was a significant buildup of carbon or whatever gets in there in the TB. In any event, I was fortunate enough not to have much trouble getting the plastic hose on and off and I think Loren is correct when he says having the car warm (not hot) can make this process a little smoother. Anyway, I cleared the CEL and took her out for a spin. I waited way too long to replace the MAF! I forgot what this thing can run like. I shifted into second gear and spun the tires enough to kick on the traction control and these are brand new summer tires. It's good to have her back. Hope I didn't bore you to death, just wanted to say that if you have MAF problems, cleaning it will shut off the CEL for a while, but go ahead and replace it. It's worth every penny.

Devin Giddens

Edmond, OK USA

• 3 months later...
Hello Everyone!

Have been a lurker for several years; this is my first post. I have some information that may or may not be useful regarding MAF and throttle body. I bought a 2000 Boxster S in 2005 with 8600 miles on it. It ran nicely, but had evidently been sitting for a while. I replaced the tires and instantly got a much better ride. After a couple of months I got a CEL (I believe it was P1126). Happily, I had found this site and learned all that I could about the problem. I recalled one post where a gentleman said that he had a similar experience on a low mile car that had been sitting for some time and that he solved the problem by simply cleaning the MAF with electronic parts cleaner. I did this and it worked like a charm for over a year. Eventually the CEL returned and I cleaned the MAF again, thus saving money once more. It lasted another period of months before I got another light. I figured I had ridden that MAF sensor as long as I could and bit the bullet and ordered one from Paragon Products in Corpus Christi for about $240 US. It got here quickly and I installed it today. While I was in the engine bay I decided to clean the throttle body as my idle had been a little jumpy for a few months. Took it out of the car (I have some mechanical skills from helping my dad restore cars 25 years ago when I was a kid) and cleaned it with carb cleaner in the manner prescribed by this site. The car only has 30,000 miles on it now, but there was a significant buildup of carbon or whatever gets in there in the TB. In any event, I was fortunate enough not to have much trouble getting the plastic hose on and off and I think Loren is correct when he says having the car warm (not hot) can make this process a little smoother. Anyway, I cleared the CEL and took her out for a spin. I waited way too long to replace the MAF! I forgot what this thing can run like. I shifted into second gear and spun the tires enough to kick on the traction control and these are brand new summer tires. It's good to have her back. Hope I didn't bore you to death, just wanted to say that if you have MAF problems, cleaning it will shut off the CEL for a while, but go ahead and replace it. It's worth every penny.

Devin Giddens

Edmond, OK USA

You have been lurking for far too long, nice first post Im gonna order my new MAF from Pelican's in the next few days, had to take it out to get the part number and Im very tempted to give it a clean with the CRC CO contact cleaner