Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headliners for GAHH tops? And other things...

Looking to replace top on my '01 Porsche Boxster. The rear window is cracked and was told by the Porsche dealership in Barrington, IL the whole top needs to be replaced. I was given a rough estimate of $2,700 just for parts. Now, I'm considering my options and trying to figure out the best plan of attack for replacing the window/entire top. My current headliner has been warped in the front and hangs low, this too will need replaced. Now my question: If I go for the GAHH or Robbins top, will I also be able to get a headliner for it? And will it fit? What would be a reasonable price to pay for an installation? And if there are any IL people here, where should I go?

Thanks!

Looking to replace top on my '01 Porsche Boxster. The rear window is cracked and was told by the Porsche dealership in Barrington, IL the whole top needs to be replaced. I was given a rough estimate of $2,700 just for parts. Now, I'm considering my options and trying to figure out the best plan of attack for replacing the window/entire top. My current headliner has been warped in the front and hangs low, this too will need replaced. Now my question: If I go for the GAHH or Robbins top, will I also be able to get a headliner for it? And will it fit? What would be a reasonable price to pay for an installation? And if there are any IL people here, where should I go?

Thanks!

You can buy a GAHH top for under 800 and Install it yourself. save yourself 1900 dollars!

The GAHH top includes just the fabric top and the rear window. If you go the GAHH route, you can just buy a stock headliner and install it along with the GAHH top.

I replaced my 2001 top last year with a glass window GAHH top and I was able to just leave my stock headliner in place.

Here's a forum thread (7+ pages long) that includes all the details on various glass window top replacements for the 1st gen Boxster: Glass window top replacement, For pre 2003 ...may have already come across that.

Here's a link for a MS Word doc about how to replace the top yourself: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/DIY_Boxs...p_Canvas_RR.doc Those instructions are for removing and reinstalling a stock top, but the GAHH top installation isn't much different. There's just an extra strap to attach.

Edited by secretagent214

I went the route of replacing the window only as the top was fairly young and in excellent condition. Took the guy all of 2 hours to remove the top, remove the window, sew in a new piece of plastic, and then reinstall the top. If my fabric had been in rough shape, I'd have gone with a new glass window top. My insurance company hosed me (thanks S$%te F@#m) by saying they wouldn't pay for genuine Porsche Parts or a glass window, they wanted me to do the aftermarket top with palstic window at a ridiculously low price.

Now that all is said and done, I'm happy with the finished product. The new plastic seems more durable than the old, and I still have the large viewing area. The only caveat in that route was finding a shop that could do the sewing with the top still on the frame. ALL the local guys said they'd never even heard of doing that. I wound up taking the car to a shop 3 hours away.

Thanks!

stinky:

You definitely don't need to spend anywhere near $2,700 plus installation if your top is in good shape except for the vinyl window.

Do some reading here on RennTech and you will see that "Juniinc" even sewed in a window by hand.

The best route for you (again, if the rest of your top is in good shape) would be to remove the entire top and frame and find a shop that is capable of sewing in a new vinyl window with the top still on the frame.

Here is a link to all of the information and instructions you might need: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/thetop-i...e%26replacement

If you run into any roadblocks, post here and we can get you through anything involving the top.

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Welcome to Barrington Illinois friend! Lol, I would NEVER take my Box to that Porsche dealership, even if my life depended on it... they overcharge on EVERYTHING just because of the neighborhood they're in. If you absolutely "have" to take it to a Porsche Dealer, Take it to Napelton Porsche of Westmont off Ogden. Much more "realistic" pricing.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

Welcome to Barrington Illinois friend! Lol, I would NEVER take my Box to that Porsche dealership, even if my life depended on it... they overcharge on EVERYTHING just because of the neighborhood they're in. If you absolutely "have" to take it to a Porsche Dealer, Take it to Napelton Porsche of Westmont off Ogden. Much more "realistic" pricing.

Wow, thanks for the advice! I just picked up my baby from the shop and it looks beautiful. The upholstery shop managed to reuse my previously warped headliner by replacing the rod in the front and using rivets. You really can't tell the headliner didn't come with the GAHH top. I love the rear glass and my worries about the top are gone. Total cost: $1,984. Next up... headlights. Oh yeah.

Wow, thanks for the advice! I just picked up my baby from the shop and it looks beautiful. The upholstery shop managed to reuse my previously warped headliner by replacing the rod in the front and using rivets. You really can't tell the headliner didn't come with the GAHH top. I love the rear glass and my worries about the top are gone. Total cost: $1,984. Next up... headlights. Oh yeah.

Where'd you end up taking to have the top replaced? The only reason I haven't bought the GAHH glass top yet, is because I haven't found a shop around here that would do it yet. Do you have a breakdown of what you replaced? I'm wondering if I do it, if I shouldn't replace the top motors just a precaution anyways.

Also, if you plan to put in Litronics... get em' from Sunset (link at the top of the forums) best price you'll find for em. Plug and Play solution, and easy to connect motor for the up-down feature. Perhaps maybe i'll see you on the road soon :)

000_0043.jpg

Where'd you end up taking to have the top replaced? The only reason I haven't bought the GAHH glass top yet, is because I haven't found a shop around here that would do it yet. Do you have a breakdown of what you replaced? I'm wondering if I do it, if I shouldn't replace the top motors just a precaution anyways.

Also, if you plan to put in Litronics... get em' from Sunset (link at the top of the forums) best price you'll find for em. Plug and Play solution, and easy to connect motor for the up-down feature. Perhaps maybe i'll see you on the road soon :)

000_0043.jpg

There is no need to replace the top transmissions as a precaution if they are working properly.

If you have the earlier "Version A" transmissions, and they are acting up, it may be a good idea to replace them with the "Version B" transmissions if you can get a good deal on a used set.

Regards, Maurice.

There is no need to replace the top transmissions as a precaution if they are working properly.

If you have the earlier "Version A" transmissions, and they are acting up, it may be a good idea to replace them with the "Version B" transmissions if you can get a good deal on a used set.

Regards, Maurice.

Interesting... question then becomes... Is there any "easy" way to tell whether not I have the Version B transmission already installed without dissassembling the whole cover?

Regards, Maurice.

Interesting... question then becomes... Is there any "easy" way to tell whether not I have the Version B transmission already installed without dissassembling the whole cover?

Unless the transmissions were previously replaced, 1997 to 1999 Boxsters will have the "Version A" transmissions. The changeover took place on the production line sometime around June of 1999, after they "used up" the remaining stock.

If you have a "B-pillar" microswitch located below the bottom (black knuckle) of the "B-pillar you most likely have the "Version A" transmissions. Same applies if you have that little metal lever sitting on top of the electric motor, directly in front of the third brake light.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi 1schoir!

I went to Mitchell's Auto Upholstery, 22073 N. Pepper Rd. Unit E, Barrington, IL 60010. He did an excellent job! I had the top replaced with the GAHH glass and my headliner needed some fixing since the front was warped and causing it to hang low. Total ended up to $1984 with install, parts & tax. Labor was about $800. I would suggest calling him up and talking with him for a quote.. for the top he quoted about $1975 But may be less expensive due to the headliner on mine which ended up costing an extra 60 bucks to fix. His number is (847) 382-8746. He had a two-day turnaround... dropped off on Tuesday and picked up on Wednesday evening. I would highly recommend it.

Thanks for the tips on the Litronics! I'll look into that more.. but gotta save up before the next endeavor!!

post-33378-1242599806_thumb.jpg

post-33378-1242599797_thumb.jpg

Just this morning, closing the top showed cracks/tears on both sides of the window area in the middle. Bummer. So now I need to figure out what to do. Already read the threads and know my options. The GAHH version is a real possibility. The canvas part of the top is perfect so I hate to trash it, but might not be an option.

I would be interested in pitching in if you decide to do the GAHH top. I'm sure it can be done by one person, but imagine two would be much better. If I decide to go the GAHH route, you can help me out. Just a thought.

Thanks!