Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacement shocks.

I too have been looking at the Bilstein shocks. I have put them on my BMW and they are a little stiffer than my stock shocks were. Control is great. Let us know how they work out. I will be in the market for shocks in the next year or so.

would you say your BMW rides more comfortably with the Bilstein HD than with the stock shocks?

I too have been looking at the Bilstein shocks. I have put them on my BMW and they are a little stiffer than my stock shocks were. Control is great. Let us know how they work out. I will be in the market for shocks in the next year or so.

would you say your BMW rides more comfortably with the Bilstein HD than with the stock shocks?

I know you weren't asking me, but... : )

I don't think there's a simple answer to that question. (I also have put Bilsteins on one of my previous E36s). What characterizes a gas shock is its rising spring rate under load. The more you compress a gas shock, the stiffer it becomes. A really well engineered gas shock will manage that process better, so the spring rate changes in a more linear way. This is even more pronounced when you're not lowering your suspension, since the shock has more travel through which to vary its spring rate.

The net effect is that a great gas shock will feel more comfortable than your stock shocks when it's being asked to respond to small bumps. But compressed further, such as by a big bump or by lateral loading as you corner, that same shock will actually feel stiffer than your stock setup. That's why I like them for a 100% road-driven car: in a lot of situations, they'll actually out-handle a lowered, stiffer setup with aggressive sway bars will (sways transfer impact from one wheel to the opposite wheel in a corner, making it harder to keep all the rubber on the ground).

(Then there's rebound damping, which would make this post twice as boring...)

So, based on my experience, I'd say that the answer to your question is likely to be "Mostly, yes. Sometimes, no."

I don't think there's a simple answer to that question. (I also have put Bilsteins on one of my previous E36s). What characterizes a gas shock is its rising spring rate under load. The more you compress a gas shock, the stiffer it becomes. A really well engineered gas shock will manage that process better, so the spring rate changes in a more linear way. This is even more pronounced when you're not lowering your suspension, since the shock has more travel through which to vary its spring rate.

The net effect is that a great gas shock will feel more comfortable than your stock shocks when it's being asked to respond to small bumps. But compressed further, such as by a big bump or by lateral loading as you corner, that same shock will actually feel stiffer than your stock setup. That's why I like them for a 100% road-driven car: in a lot of situations, they'll actually out-handle a lowered, stiffer setup with aggressive sway bars will (sways transfer impact from one wheel to the opposite wheel in a corner, making it harder to keep all the rubber on the ground).

So, based on my experience, I'd say that the answer to your question is likely to be "Mostly, yes. Sometimes, no."

okay... I can see what you mean.... I like the idea of more control when I need more speed but I like the idea of the shock absorber absorbing small bumps, potholes in regular speed situations... sounds what I'm looking for...

so you say sometimes no... can you describe these situations when its *not* more comfortable... curious about this one...

okay... I can see what you mean.... I like the idea of more control when I need more speed but I like the idea of the shock absorber absorbing small bumps, potholes in regular speed situations... sounds what I'm looking for...

so you say sometimes no... can you describe these situations when its *not* more comfortable... curious about this one...

Fair enough. I guess what I really meant was that under higher loads - like a big pothole - the car is as firm or firmer than stock. So not less comfortable, just not more comfortable. But all bumps now feel 'round' instead of 'square'. So, more firm but less harsh, if that makes sense.

I found that my old shocks tended to resist compression initially, and then give in all of a sudden. The result was a feeling of 'slamming' when you hit bumps. If you've ever tried to set up shocks on a dirt bike or a mountain bike, you'll know what I mean. Whereas the Bilsteins respond to everything, to the point where the car actually squats slightly on acceleration now, but also brakes more smoothly because the center of gravity shifts forward more naturally.

It's all pretty subtle stuff, I guess. But I've always believed the fastest suspension is the one that's matched to the conditions. For me, this was it.

Fair enough. I guess what I really meant was that under higher loads - like a big pothole - the car is as firm or firmer than stock. So not less comfortable, just not more comfortable. But all bumps now feel 'round' instead of 'square'. So, more firm but less harsh, if that makes sense.

I found that my old shocks tended to resist compression initially, and then give in all of a sudden. The result was a feeling of 'slamming' when you hit bumps. If you've ever tried to set up shocks on a dirt bike or a mountain bike, you'll know what I mean. Whereas the Bilsteins respond to everything, to the point where the car actually squats slightly on acceleration now, but also brakes more smoothly because the center of gravity shifts forward more naturally.

It's all pretty subtle stuff, I guess. But I've always believed the fastest suspension is the one that's matched to the conditions. For me, this was it.

ok... I know exactly what u mean here... the slamming or more so the suspension *crashing* onto a pothole is eliminated with a muffled and controlled thud which feels more round than square... so basically it takes the edge off of potholes by reacting quicker to the input... that's a great quality to have in a shock absorber...