Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Reservoir Leak

Has anyone replaced the coolant reservoir in the rear trunk themselves? Can anyone provide the procedure? How do you get the reservoir out: from the trunk? from the engine compartment? from the top? bottom?

I've got a leak and am out of warranty. TIA.

--- Tom

• Moderators

I have never removed the tank but I have been holding my breath as I have a 1997. It will probably split on me tomorrow. I thought one of our local guys Mark had done it because when I last saw his trunk in the picture all the carpeting had been removed, but I think he was trying to fix an electrical problem. And for some reason I cannot find the tank removal in the shop manual under the cooling section. Porsche must have put it under a different section of the manual and I will look for it when I have time.

I called Peter and he said it is a pain only because you have to remove hoses in the engine compartment and the clamps are hard to get to and they are those spring type clamps that are a pain to compress and slide back. You also have to deal with the oil filler tube and tube for the dipstick. So removing the plastic tank itself from the trunk is not hard, but getting everything disconnected from the backside of tank from the engine compartment takes some time.

Give it a shot and take lots of pictures. There is a coolant drain plug near the oil drain plug if you need to drain the coolant. When you fill the system you need to bleed it and I can tell you how to do that. But if you have a tip you need the PST2, but not with a 5 speed. Jeff

mark_trunk6_001.sized.jpg

Here are 2 Boxster and a 996 tanks I saw on ebay.

part_coolant.sized.jpg

"...it is a pain only because you have to remove hoses in the engine compartment and the clamps are hard to get to and they are those spring type clamps that are a pain to compress and slide back. You also have to deal with the oil filler tube and tube for the dipstick. So removing the plastic tank itself from the trunk is not hard, but getting everything disconnected from the backside of tank from the engine compartment takes some time."

I was afraid of that. I tried to take out the tank until I realized that the hoses probably had to be released from inside the engine compartment. A real pain to get at.

I've got the tech manuals on CD so the drain & bleed procedure is available.

Where on ebay did you see those tanks, Jeff? I requested price and availability from Sunset and was told that the part (new # 996-106-147-07) isn't currently available to them in the U.S. It'll take 2-4 weeks from Germany.

• Moderators

I saw them a long time ago on ebay. They are used tanks if you could not tell from the picture. I would not buy such a used part or you will be doing the job a second time.

Take lots of pictures if you can get your camera into the engine compartment. Our local San Jose Boxster group has filmed 8 hours of video of various projects which we are putting on 3 DVDs. This would be a good project as it is a common problem and the older cars are out of warranty. Bring your car to San Jose and we will fix it and video tape the tank replacement. I hate to ask, but you have seen a split in the plastic and have coolant in the trunk since you already tried to remove the tank from just the trunk side?

I use Bob at Sunset for cost plus 15%. No suprise there are no tanks in the US since this is summer time.

My parts list and price list is from 2002 so take this with a grain of salt. 2002 Pet has the tank as 996 106 147 06 and the 2002 full price as $79.50, and is called water reservoir in the price list. Ending in 07 is not in my old Pet, which means nothing as the 'new and improved part' will be one digit higher. But my old price list has the 07 part as an equalizing tank for $211.41. When a part number has been superseded, such as 06 to 07, then when you look up the old part on the price list it directs you to the new part number, but in this case it shows both as valid parts. Strange, unless there is a mistake in my old price list. But a porsche dealer is online and it takes you to the newest part number and price, so go with what they say. Almost a 300% price increase for a plastic tank.

Good luck with getting those spring hose clamps off with no room to work or see. I like to use needle nose vise-grips. Then replace the clamps with worm-drive hose clamps. Jeff