Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Potential temp / overheating problem for me :-(

Flying V

Hi Guys!

What temp does your gauge normally read once your car is fully warmed up?

Also several times now, when I take my car out particularly in the morning (after the car has been garaged), after the first time I drive the car hard, the warning light in the temp gauge starts blinking. Each time this happens I turn of the engine quickly for a few seconds and start it up again....after which the blinking warning light is gone. And when I drive the car hard again it doesn't light up anymore for the rest of the day! It's quite weird but has any of you guys experienced this. Wonder what's going on....

180, and even on hot days at the track 200.

Are you giving the car time to get up to temp (180) before getting on it hard [in the morning (after the car has been garaged)]? Need to do that. Nonetheless, never experienced this condition.

Hi Guys!

Also several times now, when I take my car out particularly in the morning (after the car has been garaged), after the first time I drive the car hard, the warning light in the temp gauge starts blinking. Each time this happens I turn of the engine quickly for a few seconds and start it up again....after which the blinking warning light is gone. And when I drive the car hard again it doesn't light up anymore for the rest of the day! It's quite weird but has any of you guys experienced this. Wonder what's going on....

Do not ignore your warning light!! You could have several issues. Have you flushed your coolant lately? you could have air in the system. You can bleed the system. Do a search here. How many miles on the car? Have the car checked and check the water pump. If you have a catostrophic waterpump failure while driving the results could be dire.

I wouldn't continue to drive the car until you resolve the issue.

Edited by phillipj

• Moderators

Hi V..... Loren's comment above is doubly important because you have a '99 Mk I GT3 with the original coolant expansion tank. It is smaller and, given it's smaller volume, is more sensitive to coolant level.....and, as Loren says, the older sensors can go bad. First check the coolant level and assure it's up to the MAX line.

Hi Guys!

Just wanted to ask you...Having spent many years in the Philippines myself..Where the heck do you drive your Gt3? Are you in Luzon? Early (and I mean early) morning runs to Batangas? Just curious.. :huh:

Hi guys! thanks for the inputs! And yes it better to be safe than sorry. :renntech:

I pray my problems would be minor like a faulty sensor or my systems just needs bleeding and filling up of coolant. I will ask my mechanic to initially flush my radiator system and fill it up fresh coolant likewise make sure the system has no air. Keep you guys posted.

Godspeed!

Hi Guys!

Just wanted to ask you...Having spent many years in the Philippines myself..Where the heck do you drive your Gt3? Are you in Luzon? Early (and I mean early) morning runs to Batangas? Just curious.. :huh:

Hey phillipj! When was the last time you were in the Philippines? Yup I stay in Luzon. In the recent years North Luzon Express Way (main highway going Baguio) was rehabilitated. So we take this route and usually drive upto Pampang area and drive back to Manila for breakfast. Pretty decent roads which is enough for super cars here in the RP to stretch theirs legs! Recently there was also a newly opened highway SCTEX (its a highway connecting Subic - Clark - Tarlac). If the group wants to drive a longer route, this is what we would take. Currently the government is rehabilitating South Express Way. Soon, once fixed driving to Tagayaty amd Batangas will be more leisurely.

We also have track days here. As of the moment there are two tracks. One in Batangas and another in Subic. However Batangas track is a better choice. We usually go once a month. However we are look forward to new race track being built in Clark.

Godspeed!