Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best gear to pull away with ;)

When engine is cold (well my V6 did this) it would automatically select 1 or it gives you the choice if your towing / on an incline / require a more spirited take off you can drop it to 1

Cayenne S is the same.... but you should know like gdavison mentioned...

According to Porsche the Cayenne's , when cold starting, run in 1st for a few seconds. This is programmed into

the transmission computer in order to "warm up" the catalytic converters faster within the first few seconds....

Once Cats are hot, then 2nd gear is the default gear for starting accelleration from stop... No matter how aggressive

you drive... 1st gear can only be select with "manual mode" or flicking tip button to downshift at stop...

Personally, I really don't like driving our Cayenne S without using "manual mode" stick shift... my wife drives the car fairly

easy.. Then when i jump into it the transmission programing is for easy driving where I like to drive aggressively...

it never seems to learn fast enough for my driving style, so I automatically drive it like a manual all the time..

Then I can put it into first gear when ever I come to a stop... but that's me... my wife hates my driving .. haha..

Makes for a much funner experience if you ask me...

all the best

Bill

• 11 months later...

How do you turn off DSM? Is this a dealer's item or can I program it at home?

Look for the "PSM OFF" button on your center console. I've never heard of this causing the transmission to start off in first, but I'd want to leave the PSM on while piloting my 5000+ lb. SUV down the road.

All modern automatic transmissions (and, incidentally, all recent dual-clutch variants like PDK and DSG) are programmed to start off in second gear for comfort unless it's a cold start. The slip action of the torque converter allows second gear to be used in most stoplight situations and on some hills without damage or lack of torque. The dual-clutch boxes slip their wet clutches to approximate the same behavior. If you engage manual or kickdown mode with the tip switch, shifter or your throttle, the car will start in first without complaint.

Doing the same in a manual transmission might burn a clutch, which is why it's best to start in first gear if you drive stick.

Mark

• 4 years later...