Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Horn Going Off Randomly

I have a 1999 C2 and a few weeks ago the horn went off and i had to pull on rubber piece to get it to stop. I assumed it got too hot in the car and that caused it. But yesterday it happened twice and once this morning. Has anyone had this issue before? If so is it a short or issue with the horn itself?

Thanks!

have you changed your stereo for an aftermarket one???

there is a small connector on the cage that set off the alarm/sounds the horn if its not isolated, as I found out after a few nights of my horn going off for no apparant reason!!!!!

there is a small connector on the cage that set off the alarm/sounds the horn if its not isolated, as I found out after a few nights of my horn going off for no apparent reason!!!!!

No still have the stock stereo. I searched prior to posting but then searched more and I think its more likely the worn bushings mentioned in this post: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1728

The only odd thing is it does it when the car is parked. So if it is worn bushings perhaps my car is now an earthquake detector. :P

there is a small connector on the cage that set off the alarm/sounds the horn if its not isolated, as I found out after a few nights of my horn going off for no apparent reason!!!!!

No still have the stock stereo. I searched prior to posting but then searched more and I think its more likely the worn bushings mentioned in this post: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1728

The only odd thing is it does it when the car is parked. So if it is worn bushings perhaps my car is now an earthquake detector. :P

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I'll bet it blows every time you step on the brakes hard! The inner cage of your four spoke (99 C2) steering wheel isolates the ground for the horn. This pad has a rubber bushing at each of its four corners and over time they separate from the cage. Once the cage comes in contact with a ground the circuit is completed and the horn will blow. The symptom is usually presented when the brakes are applied and the cage is pulled forward. Fortunately its an easy fix and its cheap. All you need to do is use a torx bit to remove the two bolts located on the back side of the steering wheel. They secure the airbag. As soon as the pad is removed you'll see the cage and 4 bolts that hold it in place (14s I think). Remove the bolts drop in the new unit and you're done. I think the parts cost like $80(993 347 088 01) and the entire process will take less than 20 minuets.

Make sure you disconnect the battery before you remove the airbag :wacko: and don't reconnect the battery until the job is complete or you'll need to reset the airbag light. You should also insure that that you know your radio code so you don't go without tunes for a couple of days.

Edited by dr914jr

• 3 months later...

Thanks dr914jr for good repair instrcution.

I have the same problem with the horn on my 2000 C2. It just happen last weekend. The horn went off when I brake hard or bouncing on driver seat or tapping on the steering wheel.

Is the part number you given for 2000 model?