Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is my MAF out of spec or not?

I've got a minor stumble at time when gently getting on the gas at low revs - it's not constant, it's not throwing up any codes, and it's not enough to throw money at either - I can live with it, but it's annoying...

I think it may be the MAF, but I'm guessing in all honesty. I've cleaned it thorougly, and the car does seem a little better for a shiny clean MAF in general, but it didn't affect the stumble. I've cleaned the throttle body, including removing it and cleaning it from the back, which made no difference. I've also replaced the AOS, and although that seems to have significantly reduced - almost stopped - the "clouds of smoke on startup" incidents and the car no longer stumbles and almost dies when the oil filler cap is removed, there is still a sucking sound from the cap when removed. I did the trick of removing the return pipe from the AOS to the throttle body and plugging the hole - no sucking noise, but quite an "overpressure" (perhaps because I plugged both the hole in the throttle body and the end of the return pipe).

Anyway, I've just checked the voltages on the MAF. When not running, they are 0.95v at pin 5 and 1.2v at pin 1, when idling they are 1.2v at pin 5 and 2.5 at pin 1. (5 is the air flow, 1 is the temperature, right?). Are these what I should expect? I doubt they are very far out, because as I say, there are no CELs or codes, and it's a *slight* stumble...

Many Thanks!

Graham

I think you need to look at the MAF with the Durametric software, a PST2 or PIWIS tester to see what it is doing at idle and at 2500 RPM - no load.

Those numbers will tell you if it is working right or not.

Thanks Loren - I just ordered the OBD-2.com software (I've got vehicles OTHER than Porches :P ) but I'm guessing all that will really do is confirm my voltage readings, not tell me if they are in or out of spec.. Will the Durametric do that?

• Admin
I think you need to look at the MAF with the Durametric software, a PST2 or PIWIS tester to see what it is doing at idle and at 2500 RPM - no load.

Those numbers will tell you if it is working right or not.

Thanks Loren - I just ordered the OBD-2.com software (I've got vehicles OTHER than Porches :P ) but I'm guessing all that will really do is confirm my voltage readings, not tell me if they are in or out of spec.. Will the Durametric do that?

Both should be able to give you your air flow readings in kg/h (not voltage).